Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Deborah (13): Servant of God" on tonight 22.30 BBC3

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I will watch it. And I'm sure I will find them backwards, horrible people. I'm fed up with the media showing just the insane 2% of "Christians" who take every single word of the (translated a fair few times) Bible EXACTLY literally.

You seen the Westboro Baptist Church people? Disgusting attitudes towards modern life.

True Christianity should just be about trying to emulate Jesus' life and teachings.

Well I take issue with one thing there. The media always doing that. They don't. This extreme christianity appears to be a recent thing in this country.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
True Christianity really should. Christian meaning Christ like.

ie. Christianity SHOULD mean trying your best to be like Jesus, basically. And yes, he completely promoted all those things.
So when people say Christian Values, what they actually mean, is Buddhist values?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
My point is about his attitude really. He has every right to write what he wants.

He doesn't study Christians from an open, balanced viewpoint though does he?

If I studied Lesbians but only from a clearly disparaging viewpoint and then presented my skewed findings as fact I would expect them to be unhappy with that, wouldn't you?

No, what he says is that there is no place in a secular society for religious people to be involved in the mechanism of state, why should Bishops and other theologians be allowed to sit on policy groups, governmental steering committees and other influential gatherings where their religious input directly affects the rest of us? what authority do they do this? He argues that Humanity has outgrown the need for a divine comfort blanket and we should resist faith groups interfering with our development as a society at every turn.

If you argue that Dawkins,has no right to comment on religion because he is not a christian then do you similarly resist Christians having a poweful voice in matters of science and medicine? stem cell research? IVF? euthenasia?, after all they're not scientists so why should we listen to them...but we have to, mores the pity.

It's a common phenomena amongst religious people that they will use the authority of "God" to back whatever small minded idiotic opinion they have and then attempt to shout down detractors with threats of damnation.

Its lazy, moronic and childish and the sooner we're done with it,the better.

Has anyone read The NSC Delusion?

It's all about the belief that you can somehow convince someone with a diametrically opposing view to your own to change their mind on an internet message board.

Have you read 'The Delusion of the NSC Delusion'? Which is all about binfesting about GOD on a Friday when you have a hangover so as to avoid work and keep you occupied till the weekend starts.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Well I take issue with one thing there. The media always doing that. They don't. This extreme christianity appears to be a recent thing in this country.

I haven't seen many balanced views of Christianity in the media recently, putting them in a positive light, showing them putting Jesus' teachings of love, compassion, non-prejudice and community into practice. I see these things all the time in the local church.

No one say Songs of Praise.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
No, what he says is that there is no place in a secular society for religious people to be involved in the mechanism of state, why should Bishops and other theologians be allowed to sit on policy groups, governmental steering committees and other influential gatherings where their religious input directly affects the rest of us? what authority do they do this? He argues that Humanity has outgrown the need for a divine comfort blanket and we should resist faith groups interfering with our development as a society at every turn.

If you argue that Dawkins,has no right to comment on religion because he is not a christian then do you similarly resist Christians having a poweful voice in matters of science and medicine? stem cell research? IVF? euthenasia?, after all they're not scientists so why should we listen to them...but we have to, mores the pity.

It's a common phenomena amongst religious people that they will use the authority of "God" to back whatever small minded idiotic opinion they have and then attempt to shout down detractors with threats of damnation.

Its lazy, moronic and childish and the sooner we're done with it,the better.

I haven't said ANY of that. So much taken out of my mouth there.

FOR THE LAST TIME I DID NOT SAY HE CANNOT COMMENT ON RELIGION.

Finished.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
binfesting about GOD on a Friday

I get no satisfaction from that.

NUN at all.

nundog.jpg

btw Any abuse directed at me from now on will be pointless as going to the pub. I may be some time.
I thank you for the enjoyable distraction from work.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
Have you read 'The Delusion of the NSC Delusion'? Which is all about binfesting about GOD on a Friday when you have a hangover so as to avoid work and keep you occupied till the weekend starts.

Exactly, whilst all the deniers were creaming themselves over some random program about 0.0000000000001 % of christians being 'extreme' - I was out with my god bothering mates getting smashed

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Exactly, whilst all the deniers were creaming themselves over some random program about 0.0000000000001 % of christians being 'extreme' - I was out with my god bothering mates getting smashed

These mates..can anyone else see them? or are they a matter of faith as well?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here