Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Deborah (13): Servant of God" on tonight 22.30 BBC3

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm not a Lesbian but I reckon I could have a decent stab at empathising with how they "think act and feel" because I see myself as a Human being primarily as opposed to an "office administrator"

Your analogy is a poor one.

Hardly empathy is it? So as a "human" I can write a book masquerading as FACT that all Atheists are complete morons and that would be ok would it?

I can explain to everyone how you think, act and feel?

Of course not.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
My point is about his attitude really. He has every right to write what he wants.

He doesn't study Christians from an open, balanced viewpoint though does he?

If I studied Lesbians but only from a clearly disparaging viewpoint and then presented my skewed findings as fact I would expect them to be unhappy with that, wouldn't you?

I do find it quite ironic that you have a problem with a book, whereas your own belief system (and many others) are pretty much based on one.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
But you don't need to know how Hitler was feeling to be able to understand that his belief system was f***ed up. Dawkins being smug doesn't also make him necessarily wrong.

on that basis, the pope being smug doesn't necessarily make him wrong either then ?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Well, it pretty much does in c of e primary schools

Agreed, but back to the programme last night....

The kids didn't go to school, weren't allowed.

Having said that - their general level of education appeared far and above what you get taught at school.

But the home R.E. lessons appeared a bit harsh.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Are you seriously claiming that Christianity promotes love between all classes, denominations,sexualities and creeds?

Seriously?

True Christianity really should. Christian meaning Christ like.

ie. Christianity SHOULD mean trying your best to be like Jesus, basically. And yes, he completely promoted all those things.

Well, it pretty much does in c of e primary schools

Would those schools not teach those values if they were not C of E? That's my point, they are good values and would be taught regardless of what the bible says. There are also a lot of bloody scary 'unchristian' stories in the bible that thankfully are not taught because they do not fit in with our current moral code of values. The human race has moved on, the bible has not.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I do find it quite ironic that you have a problem with a book, whereas your own belief system (and many others) are pretty much based on one.

I have a problem with a man presenting views as fact, and disparaging millions of people with it.

Cue: Ooooh, bit like the Bible isn't it? No, not really.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
Defending ?

I have a problem with any form of religion that fails to appreciate other belief systems as valid. Even if the belief systems themselves aren't religions.

I take it you didn't watch the programme last night either.

I also didn't state it was more common in Christianity, I just find it common thing when talking to people who describe themselves as "Christians".

As I've already stated - I find more positive aspects of religions than negative ones.

I have absolutely no time at all with the belief that unless you believe, you are going to hell. Do you think then on that basis I am going to hell ?

why would I know ?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I have a problem with a man presenting views as fact, and disparaging millions of people with it.

Cue: Ooooh, bit like the Bible isn't it? No, not really.

Well the programme last night looked like people disparaging millions of others based on the bible.

Go and watch it on IPlayer and come back and tell us what you think.

I'd genuinely be interested in your views.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Well the programme last night looked like people disparaging millions of others based on the bible.

I will watch it. And I'm sure I will find them backwards, horrible people. I'm fed up with the media showing just the insane 2% of "Christians" who take every single word of the (translated a fair few times) Bible EXACTLY literally.

You seen the Westboro Baptist Church people? Disgusting attitudes towards modern life.

True Christianity should just be about trying to emulate Jesus' life and teachings.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells

even without watching it, I can kind of guess that it was a program about a very, very extreme version of Christianity ?

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Has anyone read The NSC Delusion?

It's all about the belief that you can somehow convince someone with a diametrically opposing view to your own to change their mind on an internet message board.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Has anyone read The NSC Delusion?

It's all about the belief that you can somehow convince someone with a diametrically opposing view to your own to change their mind on an internet message board.

:lolol:

These debates are mostly pointless.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here