Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dean Hammond tried to sign

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
He has gone.We got an inflated price.Forget it.
Enjoy it. I honestly thought we would struggle to get anything for him. 50-75k tops. The fact Colchester offered 250k really left Dick Knight with a no brainer. As I said in an earlier thread, the fact he turned down 200k is the only worrying thing to me.

That in itself shows it wasn't 'cause we "Needed the money". If we nneded the money, Dick Knight would have snapped Colchesters hand off when they offered 200k. Reading betweeen the lines, it can only be down to the fact Dick Knight is fed up with players trying it on. If Dean Hammond really wanted to be a Brighton player he would be. He's tried to "play us" and its backfired on him. Bye bye Dean. You aint as good as you think you are, and I'm sure you'll be "found out" in the Championship. (well for a couple of months anyway:thumbsup:)

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I posted sometime ago that Hammond was worth at least £300k and we nearly got it. We didn't need the money at the beginning of January, but once we did the Murray deal Hammond was gone.

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Not even going to look. But I think the PVR has it on series-link so is probably recording it anyway. I feel that I am being drawn in with 'could be MILF' action.

Don't bother - one of them has at least an inch of makeup...

You're clevererererer than me - I bought a fandangly doogle Sony DVD recording hard disk thing for Zef for christmas, along with the big tele and I haven't worked out how to use it - oh the shame....I'm supposed to be recording stuff when we go away next week but sadly the only thing I've managed to record is Pingu and the Night Garden....oops :shrug: :lol:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Don't bother - one of them has at least an inch of makeup...

You're clevererererer than me - I bought a fandangly doogle Sony DVD recording hard disk thing for Zef for christmas, along with the big tele and I haven't worked out how to use it - oh the shame....I'm supposed to be recording stuff when we go away next week but sadly the only thing I've managed to record is Pingu and the Night Garden....oops :shrug: :lol:

Humax is the way forward. Oft-discussed on here, it really is the bizzo.

Daddylonglegs

Jan 28, 2008
Hove
I appreciate you may have heard this third hand but Hammond didn't have to go anywhere until the end of the season. Even if he was sat in the reserves he still had his contract to see through.

So there is no way DK could have forced him out unless he paid his contract up.

I think you will find sitting in the reserves wasn't even an option. I am told very reliably that hammond was told in no uncertian terms that he wouldn't even play for the reserves, and would simply rot.

No option, forced out.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
If the point of this thread is that Hammond offered to sign the contract, but the contract offer was withdrawn, I'm surprised that Hammond hasn't said that in his interview to the Argus.

Another point of view is that, even if Hammond was under contract and not angling to leave, we may still have accepted an offer of 250k for him, its decent money for a player who hasn't performed to scratch this season.

bhadeb

Jan 11, 2008
The chairman made it clear that he wasn't welcome anymore. Given the lad has been with BHA since a young age you can imagine that being told that by the Chairman you previously respected would leave you fairly downhearted. No one would chose to go to Colchester!!

At the end of the Dya the way Dick has treated Dean is discusting - he is was our captain and didin't want leave Dickj has driven him out with all the others

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Dick Knight is a business man. He works to make money. He is at the Albion to make money.

If that is the case, he must be a lot more stupid than I thought.

SeagullEd

Jan 18, 2008
I must admit in this thread I have read the biggest amount of bull I've ever read from brighton fans. Seriously.

Hammond, I very much doubt, did ask to sign after signing Murray. he would have come out and said that. It makes NO sense for our chairmen to say no. This is purely speculative and it sounds too obvious and like some fabricated load of rubbish.

Knight is here to make money. Yeah, every good investor knows that about 10 years of losses in the first 10 years is just a sound investment. Youa re one of these fickle fairweather fans who will probably praise DK in the summer calling him a fantastic chairmen. Get over yourself.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Here we go another rumour. No doubt some will not believe it, but I post what I have been told. I was told by a relative of a current player that Dean Hammond spoke to Dick Knight the day that we signed Murray to say that he really wanted to stay and was willing to negotiate. The response was broadly "too late, we're selling you anyway, cos we need the money"

If the above is true and I have no reason to disbelieve the source as they have been very reliable in the past, and have no gripe against DK, then frankly I am shocked.

It seems to me that DK is starting to think that he is bigger than anybody at the club and that if anyone doesn't toe the line he is out. That may be okay in some businesses but frankly it just doesn't work in football. You are dealing with lots of young men who are fairly well paid and talent comes at a price. Either you accept that or we will always struggle. DK is living in some kind of Utopian past where players got paid £100 a week and didn't have agents.

The fact that DK failed to offer Hammond an extension to his contract last season is poor, leaving it again in the summer is even worse, but to not have secured one of the best midfielders we have had for several years is frankly a flippin disgrace.

I thought the point of investing in the squad was to improve it not go backwards. What the hell is going on???

At the end of the day, why should any player regardless of quality hold the club to bloody ransom. If we did the same @ work, we would eventually get the sack.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I must admit in this thread I have read the biggest amount of bull I've ever read from brighton fans. Seriously.

Hammond, I very much doubt, did ask to sign after signing Murray. he would have come out and said that. It makes NO sense for our chairmen to say no. This is purely speculative and it sounds too obvious and like some fabricated load of rubbish.

Knight is here to make money. Yeah, every good investor knows that about 10 years of losses in the first 10 years is just a sound investment. Youa re one of these fickle fairweather fans who will probably praise DK in the summer calling him a fantastic chairmen. Get over yourself.
No one knew it would take 10 years, well 12 or 13 before we get Falmer when Dick Knight took over.

When we get to Falmer, Dick Knight is going to head of a very strong and valuable business, and good luck to him. So long as he don't sell it to Archer for a quid, I'll be happy.:lolol:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Some people on here wish us to believe that Dean Hammond told DK once Murray had signed, that he would like to sign THE contract. I'm 100% sure that this is not the case, and to be fair even the thread starter didn't pretend that. It was more that he wanted to negotiate A contract. DK had already made clear that the offer on the table was the best available so its a pretty pointless 'revelation'.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm starting to think this has turned into the Groundhog Day thread.

Surely the Albion, like ANY business, are simply paying their employees what they think they're worth? If they don't think Hammond is worthy of being the best paid player at the club, they why on earth should they make him?

Are people actually suggesting that the club should bow down and give players what they consider themselves worth, regardless of actual performance?

FFS, if they'd gone and given Hammond exactly what he demanded, then the next player would be up in the chairman's office, demanding his salary reflect his self-worth. What's to stop (say) Cox running along and asking for £5k per week, then stomping off to the Argus, or even more pathetically, sneaking it on to his Facebook profile, that he feels undervalued, when the Albion, quite wisely, decline?

Hammond was looking out for himself, Knight for himself in a way, but Hammond is a grown up, he must know the rules of contract negotiation. It was always on the cards he'd do one, therefore I'd much rather the Albion cashed in while they could and at least made a profit on the bloke.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here