Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dean Hammond tried to sign

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
From the original post "I was told by a relative of a current player that Dean Hammond spoke to Dick Knight".

Sounds pretty third-hand to me.

Again - sure. I'm not debating that.

The stance was pretty much...

3rd hand = bollocks = you're a c***. And still a c***. Have I mentioned you're a total c***?

When, in this particular instance, Hammond's view is as stated by the OP. He may be quoting something 3rd hand. But it is still correct.

(FWIW - I've not issued a yellow-card but this thread is a significant factor in my post currently pinned to the top of the board.)

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I would probably agree unless the member of team was a key member and if I had no one to replace to him.

I see the club believing that they do have a direct replacement for him with the signing of Thomson.

Of course they may need another midfielder to cover Reid/Fraser due to the unfortunate timing of the injuries to those players maybe McFaul will step up or as stated Kerry Mayo.

In summary, I think when Thomson was signed, Hammond was on a take or leave it deal in his or his agents relationship with DK. They obviously chose the latter.

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
We have to move on

It's a sad day when we lose players whose commitment to the club was solid. It's a sad day when we lose the club captain and also manage to lose 50k at the same time. But that's life in this league and at this financial level - we are not in a position to dictate. We've lost all our best players in the last few years which is hardly surprising given our financial state . However we are now talking about an investment of 25 million ( i believe) and surely a significant amount of that should be in the team first. Otherwise there will be nothing worth watching at Falmer. It's a difficult balancing act but we need a team that's worth watching and if you did put all the best boys together who have had to leave then that would have been a team. So invest in the team first otherwise we'll end up with an expensive ticket to a half full stadium watching average football. Good luck Dean Hammond and thank you for the real effort you put in - you really did mean it ....

by the way Colchester - you are joking ... !!!

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
When, in this particular instance, Hammond's view is as stated by the OP. He may be quoting something 3rd hand. But it is still correct.
I sympathise with your opinion on the over-reaction to the post but in the current atmosphere apparently speculative comments are bound to provoke a reaction.

And I still say "so what?" It may be Hammond's view he was pushed. It still doesn't mean he was.

Or wasn't

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Have you actually read Mr. Burns posts..? Quotes from just one of them..", when f***ing ****s like you"...."your story makes you sound like a ****" ...."you prick".That,s from just ONE of his posts.
Are you the same person who also sees no "wrong" in DK too...?

Yes, I've read the posts. I've just had several pints this evening and enjoy reading sweary posts.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
It's a sad day when we lose players whose commitment to the club was solid. It's a sad day when we lose the club captain and also manage to lose 50k at the same time. But that's life in this league and at this financial level - we are not in a position to dictate. We've lost all our best players in the last few years which is hardly surprising given our financial state . However we are now talking about an investment of 25 million ( i believe) and surely a significant amount of that should be in the team first. Otherwise there will be nothing worth watching at Falmer. It's a difficult balancing act but we need a team that's worth watching and if you did put all the best boys together who have had to leave then that would have been a team. So invest in the team first otherwise we'll end up with an expensive ticket to a half full stadium watching average football. Good luck Dean Hammond and thank you for the real effort you put in - you really did mean it ....

Nice way to open your account:thumbsup:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

Good post and its this last bit that in my mind proves so much why he was obviously forced to go in the end. A choice to move to Sheff Utd would have been understandable but chosing to move to Colchester for goodness sakes!! No one would do that willingly.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
And I still say "so what?" It may be Hammond's view he was pushed. It still doesn't mean he was.

Or wasn't

On that we agree 100%.

But there are ways of debating that, as you have proven, without resulting to insults and abuse.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
As I have posted elsewhere, Dean Hammond DID tell other Albion players he had been pushed out of the club. I know that happened.

Call it bullshit if you like, but it did happen.

Now - your particular line of abuse on this thread is way out of line. As anyone you are entitled to your view, but the way you have expressed it here is out of order. Do it again and action will be taken.
Of course he was pushed out of the club. We all know that. He refused to sign his contract, and we sold him, so he couldn't walk away at the end of the season. He was offered a contract and he refused to sign it. Maybe he did decided to sign at the last minute, when it turned out Colchester was the only side interested in him. If Dick Knight had done a deal for 250k and Dean then deceided he wanted to stay after all, after a month of messing everyone about, I to would have sold him. Very disappointed in not getting any more midfielders, but given the circumstances, I think Dick Knight did the right thing.

Dean can now go round crying to his mates, that he was forced out, and probably was, but its his own fault for messing the club around. No doubt he's regreting it now, but lifes tough like that.

Now on the issue of abuse. Sorry if it was taken personally, but it was meant more in a general term than to the Orignial poster. There are so many whining ***** on here, that post the same old topic over and over again, and I read this forum all the time, and then go on posting speres, and just let it all out tonight.

Dick Knight comes in for a lot of stick, and in many ways rightly so. Personally i would like to see a new chairman in our near future, but that doesn't mean I would slag him off for the sake of it. Too many people slag him off for no good reason. I don't doubt Dean thinks he was forced out, but he can't have it both ways. He was offered a good contract (good enough that in the end he wanted to sign it), but the chairman done a deal and wouldn't go back on it.

It appears Dean tried to challegne Dick Knight, the same as Bas Savage did, and came unstuck. He knows COlchester is a second choice for him, and no doubt his performances with suffer, and he'll end up in the reserves of lower tiers in a year or so, like most other who leave he with over inflated opinion of themselves.

I agree theres a problem at the club, in that so many are challenging the chairman, but he can't let them win. We are a poor club at the moment and can't let the wage bill get out of control.

Just remember though, Dean wanted to sign his contract, so it couldn't have been that bad, and I'm only guessing, but if the offer was still open to Bas, I'm sure he'd sign in a flash, so we do have a problem with players over valuing themselves, but in a way I very glad we have a chairman strong enough to stand up to them.

And look at that, no swearing:angel:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
This reminds of something that happened to someone I know, they wanted more responsibility and more money at work.

The company offered more money, but the offer wasn't huge because the company were worried about pissing other people off.

The person was definately worth the money in my opinion, but that's neither here nor there.

They gave in their notice (which they thought was a good bargaining ploy) and the company made certain attempts to make them stay.

The person felt personally aggrieved that the company weren't PLEADING with them to stay (that in itself became the main issue) and they convinced themselves the company were trying to get rid of them.

Anyway - person withdrew their notice, but the company had already started thinking about how to replace the person and re-structure those who worked with them. They declined to take it back.

In fact they ended up spending more in wages that they would have done if the employee had stayed, but unfortunately the wheels had already started turning.

Conclusion of the story is that the company lost a good employee, but that was partly the employers fault.

They actually made the company think about life without them. The employee didn't reckon on that.

Last edited:

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Shall I read this thread in its entirety or should I concentrate on the PATHETIC line up on Jonathon Ross tonight - some stupid choowow-wa with Britt and Mworrisey and someone else I don't know, now he's got a hamburger in a tin?? hmmmm choices choices...

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Have you actually read Mr. Burns posts..? Quotes from just one of them..", when f***ing ****s like you"...."your story makes you sound like a ****" ...."you prick".That,s from just ONE of his posts.
Are you the same person who also sees no "wrong" in DK too...?
Now on the issue of abuse. Sorry if it was taken personally, but it was meant more in a general term than to the Orignial poster. There are so many whining ***** on here, that post the same old topic over and over again, and I read this forum all the time, and then go on posting speres, and just let it all out tonight.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Shall I read this thread in its entirety or should I concentrate on the PATHETIC line up on Jonathon Ross tonight - some stupid choowow-wa with Britt and Mworrisey and someone else I don't know, now he's got a hamburger in a tin?? hmmmm choices choices...

I just pressed the magic 'i' button on the remote and in the quick scan that followed don't think I saw a single name that I vaguely recognised (other than Morrissey doing some singing) so have not even bothered with it. Did all the good people pull out or something?

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I just pressed the magic 'i' button on the remote and in the quick scan that followed don't think I saw a single name that I vaguely recognised (other than Morrissey doing some singing) so have not even bothered with it. Did all the good people pull out or something?

I'm sulking - its officially poo with this 4 sat on the sofa...Even Buzzer couldn't possibly class them as MILFS....

I might have to resort to Men and Motors...:lolol:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Of course he was pushed out of the club. We all know that. He refused to sign his contract, and we sold him, so he couldn't walk away at the end of the season. He was offered a contract and he refused to sign it. Maybe he did decided to sign at the last minute, when it turned out Colchester was the only side interested in him. If Dick Knight had done a deal for 250k and Dean then deceided he wanted to stay after all, after a month of messing everyone about, I to would have sold him. Very disappointed in not getting any more midfielders, but given the circumstances, I think Dick Knight did the right thing.

Dean can now go round crying to his mates, that he was forced out, and probably was, but its his own fault for messing the club around. No doubt he's regreting it now, but lifes tough like that.

Dick Knight comes in for a lot of stick, and in many ways rightly so. Personally i would like to see a new chairman in our near future, but that doesn't mean I would slag him off for the sake of it. Too many people slag him off for no good reason. I don't doubt Dean thinks he was forced out, but he can't have it both ways. He was offered a good contract (good enough that in the end he wanted to sign it), but the chairman done a deal and wouldn't go back on it.

It appears Dean tried to challegne Dick Knight, the same as Bas Savage did, and came unstuck. He knows COlchester is a second choice for him, and no doubt his performances with suffer, and he'll end up in the reserves of lower tiers in a year or so, like most other who leave he with over inflated opinion of themselves.

I agree theres a problem at the club, in that so many are challenging the chairman, but he can't let them win. We are a poor club at the moment and can't let the wage bill get out of control.

Just remember though, Dean wanted to sign his contract, so it couldn't have been that bad, and I'm only guessing, but if the offer was still open to Bas, I'm sure he'd sign in a flash, so we do have a problem with players over valuing themselves, but in a way I very glad we have a chairman strong enough to stand up to them.

And look at that, no swearing:angel:

Now you see, if you had said all of that much earlier I would have agreed with a large part of that. I agree with you generally about the moaning on here and I generally don't join in but am pissed off with this January and the lack of squad strengthening and then to hear that we could have kept onto Dean Hammond but didn't because of money is quite annoying. I am not sure DK realises well enough the apathy that there is in the floating fan and if we don't get them back soon we may never get proper crowds at Falmer which in itself will cost us dearly. In my view we should bending over backwards to keep players like Dean who are homegrown and an excellent example to all up and coming youngsters. We need to be making positive statements in the transfer market to get the fans back whilst continuing to nurture the young players and accepting that good young players will get better and will ask for more money as a result, thats modern football I'm afraid.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm sulking - its officially poo with this 4 sat on the sofa...Even Buzzer couldn't possibly class them as MILFS....

I might have to resort to Men and Motors...:lolol:

Not even going to look. But I think the PVR has it on series-link so is probably recording it anyway. I feel that I am being drawn in with 'could be MILF' action.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Anyway enough of this nonsense, I'm off to watch Jonathon Ross..........

.......nope okay, maybe not then

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here