Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dean Hammond tried to sign

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
So lets all take it out on Dick Knight then:tosser::tosser::tosser:

i dont think anybody is taking it out on dick knight - they are merely questioning the way he is running the club and his involvement in this deal, which as paying customers we have a right to do

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I would just like to take you up on one point in your very aggresive post.
Just what could the fans do to get DK out if he had taken this action against Hammond.
Also dont forget that DK had already informed Wilkins that Savage would not play again.

Dont take this as me having a pop at DK, but I am interested just how fans would have taken action against DK?
If Dick Knight stopped Hammond playing, it would be in the public domain that he interfers with team selection. The fans would lose faith in him, and he would be in a position where his job would be very uncomfortable. Don;t forget its not the gloomy 90s, we have people waiting to take over, and the sacking off Mark McGhee had a lot more to do with the fans, and Dick Knight saving his arse then will probably ever be in the public domain.

He stopped Savage, basically with one game left on his contract, which is acceptable if he was causing trouble behind the scenes, but to leave your skipper out for months, because he refused to leave the club when he was told to, would have lost Dick Knight his job, becuase the board and the backers, would not have stood for it.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Could it be that this is all being ridiculously over-analysed?

Whatever the whys, wherefores, rights and wrongs of the situation, he's left (for a very good price given the contractual situation), and no amount of conjecture and conspiracy theorism is going to bring him back again, so what's the use in debating it, especially on the basis of second-hand information (no matter how reliable the source may usually be)?

Last edited:

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
i dont think anybody is taking it out on dick knight - they are merely questioning the way he is running the club and his involvement in this deal, which as paying customers we have a right to do
No you don't!! What right have you got to question what he's doing on the back of what some twat wrote in a forum??

Get some facts, and then question them, but don't question him because some moron said someone told him Hammond wanted to stay, but thats just not fair on the bloke.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
If Dick Knight stopped Hammond playing, it would be in the public domain that he interfers with team selection. The fans would lose faith in him, and he would be in a position where his job would be very uncomfortable. Don;t forget its not the gloomy 90s, we have people waiting to take over, and the sacking off Mark McGhee had a lot more to do with the fans, and Dick Knight saving his arse then will probably ever be in the public domain.

He stopped Savage, basically with one game left on his contract, which is acceptable if he was causing trouble behind the scenes, but to leave your skipper out for months, because he refused to leave the club when he was told to, would have lost Dick Knight his job, becuase the board and the backers, would not have stood for it.

Still can't see how the fans would get DK out other than just make him uncomfortable. Micheal Knighton put up with that for years at Carlisle.
And just who is ready to take over?

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Could it be that this is all being ridiculously over-analysed?

Whatever the whys,wherefores, rights and wrongs of the situation, he's left (for a very good price given the contractual situation), and no amount of conjecture and conspiracy theorism is going to bring him back again, so what's the use in debating it?
Not a lot, but its morons like the original poster, that is making following the Albion more depressing than what it already is. All everyone seems to want to do is slag the club off the whole time.

Yes, we are in a shit league position.
Yes, we all want to be in the premiership.
Yes, we are all pissed off about having to watch at Withdean.

But why take it out on the Chairman the whole time.

Do you think he's holding us back for the fun of it. I'll again, I no huge fan of Dick Knight, but if he could have got us to Falmer before now, he would have done. The clubs worth a fortune to him when its at Falmer.

If you want to take it out on someone, take it out on Bill Archer, take it out on the Government for f***ing us about with the planning, take it out of LDC for the same reason, but lets stop making stories up about the chairman, because frankly it's doint the club no good, and its getting very very boring

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
No you don't!! What right have you got to question what he's doing on the back of what some twat wrote in a forum??

Get some facts, and then question them, but don't question him because some moron said someone told him Hammond wanted to stay, but thats just not fair on the bloke.

sorry - so you know for a FACT, 100%, that this story is NOT true?

what right have you got to question the bloke who started it if you dont? why dont you find some facts that its not true, and then question it. calling it bullshit when you dont know for certain is just not fair on the bloke

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I'm sorry Mr Burns but I don't understand why you need to abuse me. I only posted on here what I heard. I happen to believe it, you may not. I have never met you and don't form a judgement on you at all. Can;t see why you need to be insulting. We all love our football club, we all have opinions.

I personally do think that DK would be sensible to take a well earned back seat and let others such as the new MD be involved in transfer dealings as I think this may lead to less fall outs with talented players who in the modern game have high demands.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
sorry - so you know for a FACT, 100%, that this story is NOT true?

what right have you got to question the bloke who started it if you dont? why dont you find some facts that its not true, and then question it. calling it bullshit when you dont know for certain is just not fair on the bloke
Scott. Read what you have just put and have a think about it!

I could start a post along the lines of David Beckham wanted to sign for free, and not get any wages, but Dick Knight stopped Dean Wilkins signing him because he thought it would take the focus of Dick Knight.

Prove that aint true. I'm sure many would question it though.

If someone comes on here and posts a story, "they heard off a mate" and then goes on the attack someone because of that story, then I feel I have every right to call it bullshit. If he said he was told by Dean Hammond, then I may have given it some credit. If he had told the story and left it at that I probably wouldn't have said nothing.

But to give the old chestnut "I have no reason to disbelieve the source as they have been very reliable in the past" tell the story, and then go on to attack against Dick Knight on the back of it, then I think gives me the right to have a go back. Is that okay with you little Scotty

Last edited:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
If someone comes on here and posts a story, "they heard off a mate" and then goes on the attack someone because of that story, then I feel I have every right to call it bullshit. If he said he was told by Dean Hammond, then I may have given it some credit. If he had told the story and left it at that I probably wouldn't have said nothing.

But to give the old chestnut "I have no reason to disbelieve the source as they have been very reliable in the past" tell the story, and then go on to attack against Dick Knight on the back of it, then I think gives me the right to have a go back.

Abso-fuckin-exactly.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I personally do think that DK would be sensible to take a well earned back seat and let others such as the new MD be involved in transfer dealings as I think this may lead to less fall outs with talented players who in the modern game have high demands.

First of all, who in their right mind would want to be chairman of this club, considering the amount of abuse they receive from some of the fans, the press and the village idiots on the phone in, more importantly who would want to and then pay for the pleasure.

DK is the glue that holds the board together, he keeps the ego's under control as well as dealing with the players and there so considerate agents. If either Derek Chapman or any of the Blooms wanted to be chairman they would already be in the hot seat. They don't want it because of the abuse, there more than happy to let DK get it

Personally I think you are talking bollocks and need to try and understand the politics of being a club Chairman, more importantly the chairman of this club.

I'm with Burns on this

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
To me Knight is sounding like a dinosaur, he obviously has no idea of how to talk to young footballers.

Knight is certainly not getting any younger and you have to say his actions as of late are very worrying. Every one reaches a point in their life where they simply cannot deal with them in a way they used to, the world moves on and maybe it is for this reason that Dick cannot deal/negotiate with the players of today.

I love Dick for what he did, he gave us all hope and delivered some great times goning back 4 years and a bit, but he is certainly going to rub the gloss off if things continue like they are.

Even people within the club do not understand why players in the summer were given new contracts, Im not going to mention sources as it would not be fair on them.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
What the F@@k was behind the curtain?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
To me Knight is sounding like a dinosaur, he obviously has no idea of how to talk to young footballers.

Knight is certainly not getting any younger and you have to say his actions as of late are very worrying. Every one reaches a point in their life where they simply cannot deal with them in a way they used to, the world moves on and maybe it is for this reason that Dick cannot deal/negotiate with the players of today.

I love Dick for what he did, he gave us all hope and delivered some great times goning back 4 years and a bit, but he is certainly going to rub the gloss off if things continue like they are.

Even people within the club do not understand why players in the summer were given new contracts, Im not going to mention sources as it would not be fair on them.

Agree with you 100% but get ready to be abused. It seems some on here think that because he saved us from the dark days that means he is above critiscism. That doesn't make sense.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Every one reaches a point in their life where they simply cannot deal with them in a way they used to, the world moves on and maybe it is for this reason that Dick cannot deal/negotiate with the players of today.

But the fact he got 1.5million for Virgo, a lot for Harding, 250k for an average midfielder with a few months left on his contract, suggests to me he sure knows how to negotiate with other chairman. He's almost getting "Championship Manager" prices for them!!

First of all, who in their right mind would want to be chairman of this club, considering the amount of abuse they receive from some of the fans, the press and the village idiots on the phone in, more importantly who would want to and then pay for the pleasure.

DK is the glue that holds the board together, he keeps the ego's under control as well as dealing with the players and there so considerate agents. If either Derek Chapman or any of the Blooms wanted to be chairman they would already be in the hot seat. They don't want it because of the abuse, there more than happy to let DK get it

Personally I think you are talking bollocks and need to try and understand the politics of being a club Chairman, more importantly the chairman of this club.

I'm with Burns on this

Spot on.

This thread really scrapes the bottom of the barrel, isn't the internet a wonderful thing, you can post any old shit and people will believe it.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
But the fact he got 1.5million for Virgo, a lot for Harding, 250k for an average midfielder with a few months left on his contract, suggests to me he sure knows how to negotiate with other chairman. He's almost getting "Championship Manager" prices for them!!

So the fact that Mark McGhee was close friends with Gordon Strachan had nothing to do with the Virgo deal then..... and anyway how long was that? I think it is only the last couple of seasons that DK has lost the plot. Up until then I was one of his biggest fans.

Hammond is not an average midfielder, he is far better than anything else we have got.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here