Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Darwin Núñez

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Well, everyone who wants us to sign Nunez and Eduoard / Watkins I suppose. And who wouldn't be happy to have those striker options.

But that wasn't really my point, more that it's so hit and miss to sign good premier league strikers that we may well be better off developing our own.

No. Signing Nunez or similar is not anti-Connolly. That is far too simplistic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But was that a coincidence, perhaps the spark was Lampety making the rightback spot his own? Or perhaps it was Bisouma getting a run of games and bringing some dynamism to our pedestrian midfield?

I like Connolly, but does he only work well in a front 2? If so it will severely limit his effectivness.

First up despite all the hair the boy is still a boy with one very disrupted season under his belt.

But let's say you're right.
If so then another striker is absolutely imperative as a Maupay injury or more likely long suspension :lol: would leave the team with no effective strikers.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Fantastic for our under 23's and has shown considerable promise in the PL which is a huge step-up. He will find more goals this year given that he has experience. But he doesn't only have goalscoring in his armaments, he has earned widespread praise for his harrying style and puts defences under a lot of pressure. Don't forget his sublime flick from McCallister's through ball which sent Maupay on his way against arsenal. That win jump-started a season that was rapidly going downhill, who is to say what may have happened without it?

Just one point I'd take issue with. I've always understood Connolly to be first and foremost, a natural goalscorer ('the type you can't teach', 'give him one chance' etc etc) throughout his early career.

Or am I mistaken ???

*edit* Misread your post, sorry

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I see Leeds have landed Rodrigo from Valencia. Our turn next?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Wow [emoji50] he is very promising and earned his contract extension. Better still, he scored a cracker at the home of the racists. Unbelievable that you should show such lack of judgement

Unbelievable that you slag off Lamps too. Do you actually watch games!?

Take a look at some of his other posts. At best he's a controversialist.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Just one point I'd take issue with. I've always understood Connolly to be first and foremost, a natural goalscorer ('the type you can't teach', 'give him one chance' etc etc) throughout his early career.

Or am I mistaken ???

That point exists in a space of very inadequate science as it is a label which people understand, although it comes without reference to any particular data other than people's perception. I believe that Connolly is a 'natural' but that he has a sharp learning curve. If compared to our club's most natural striker, Glenn Murray, we should remember that he had seasons in the lower leagues where his natural ability could develop against far inferior opposition. There is no guarantee that Connolly will make the grade long-term, but the signs are that he has every chance given time.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Is there anyone who doesn't think we should 'persevere' with one of the brightest 20 year old strikers in the Premier League ???

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has great hopes for him this season, a year older and in his second season.

Agree...

Tbf I don’t think anyone is suggesting otherwise? But we are short of number up front having never replaced Andone.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
No. Signing Nunez or similar is not anti-Connolly. That is far too simplistic

Well said.

I don’t know where this anti Connolly accusation has come from?

We can have Connolly AND another striker. As said, if Maupay is out for an extended time we’re in trouble.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Agree...

Tbf I don’t think anyone is suggesting otherwise. But we short of number up front having never replaced Andone.

As I said above, I'll be disappointed if we don't get another striker, but don't think it's a disaster if we don't, and could be an opportunity for Gyökeres.

And everytime someone mentions Andone it brings a smile to my face as I have this picture in my head of him and Maupay kicking lumps out of David Luiz.

Sadly, it's not going to happen though, is it :down:

Last edited:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
As I said above, I'll be disappointed if we don't get another striker, but don't think it's a disaster.

And everytime someone mentions Andone it brings a smile to my face as I have this picture in my head of him and Maupay kicking lumps out of David Luiz.

Sadly, it's not going to happen though, is it :down:

It's such a shame that Andone is a mentalist. For 15 minutes we were running rings around Southampton until he got sent off, if he'd stayed and applied himself I reckon we would've been comfortable mid table.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Is there anyone who doesn't think we should 'persevere' with one of the brightest 20 year old strikers in the Premier League ???

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has great hopes for him this season, a year older and in his second season.

Definitely, but we need a third option....an injury to Maupay and we'd be a bit stuffed (yes I am pretty much ruling Murray out)

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
If we play three at the back, that gives us license to go 2 up top.

It’s not anti-Connelly, Núñez just gives us a different dimension.

mike1901

May 12, 2017
Really could do with him. But just sense his agent is causing problems, a bit like another agent I can think of.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
You just get the feeling this is one of those deals that will go right to the end of the window.

The deadline is in a month I think? I expect a lot of agents will wait until then to squeeze as much profit as possible.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Seriously, €30m. I would switch attention to Watkins or Edouard.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
If Benfica are offering players, it’s because they’re at the end of their spending power.

Go on Brighton, nip in there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here