Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Darwin Núñez

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I don’t think we’re doing anything particularly wrong, but it is hard to land decent strikers. We did well with Maupay last year. West Ham (Haller), Newcastle (Joelinton), Everton (Kean), Villa (Wesley), BMuff (Solanke) all showed how hard it is. So I can’t see this as good news I’m afraid. Back to drawing board I suspect.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Well we desperately need another striker, we have three but Glens playing time will be limited.
Without another one I fear we will struggle again, can’t see any roumets any where.

Not sure we’re desperate, but sure it’s at the top of the recruitment team’s list........we’ll be signing someone soon (that no-one on here will have predicted). Club are playing an absolute blinder on most things at the moment, this won’t be any different

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
We have to replace Murray next summer. Don't fancy having to replace a leaving loanee striker at the same time.

Getting 1 striker is hard enough.

How many games do you expect GM to feature in this season? IMO he should only be called upon in dire need and be behind NM, AC and A Nother if not Two others

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I don’t think we’re doing anything particularly wrong, but it is hard to land decent strikers. We did well with Maupay last year. West Ham (Haller), Newcastle (Joelinton), Everton (Kean), Villa (Wesley), BMuff (Solanke) all showed how hard it is. So I can’t see this as good news I’m afraid. Back to drawing board I suspect.

The whole moneyball thing is fine to a degree with many positions or if you're further down the food chain (Brentford/Peterborough), but good strikers that can hit the ground running at PL level are hard to find, simple fact is (like with Darwin Nunez)) if they're any good, a load of others will also be interested and would also know about them. Finding CF gems that can score in the PL that nobody else knows about isnt going to happen often if ever.

You're going to have to pay top dollar to have a potential ready made player.

That said, being PL, There could be huge benefit in following our Matt Clarke model in buying top talent from L1 or abroad and loaning them. Going after the same pool that Brentford would be attracted to. Would a player prefer Brentford wih no gaurantee of top flight, Or Brighton still play in Championship but potential to make our squad if they cut it?
Ivan Toney for 9 million, then loaning him to the likes of Derby/Swansea etc seems like a pretty decent punt. If he fires he's 20 million+ (Brentford model) if he doesnt, you'll still recoup a decent amount.

Less of gamble than the Locadia's of this world

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Which is why we would should keep persevering with Connolly I reckon

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I’m not giving up on this one.

Benfica have already spent £50m, have 6 Centre Forwards in their squad and will need their record fee to land this guy.

I still think we have a sniff. Sure, Almeria are cooking up a bidding war but I think we can get the edge here. We normally do when we really want a player.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013

Benfica have already spent £50m, have 6 Centre Forwards in their squad and will need their record fee to land this guy.

I still think we have a sniff. Sure, Almeria are cooking up a bidding war but I think we can get the edge here. We normally do when we really want a player.

Just need to get him to our training ground and stadium to see how sparkly our club looks. Usually we can spin a feel-good about the club from what players have said about us when signing.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

team Rune. the fat bird may be warming up her voice, but shes not burst into song yet.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
The whole moneyball thing is fine to a degree with many positions or if you're further down the food chain (Brentford/Peterborough), but good strikers that can hit the ground running at PL level are hard to find, simple fact is (like with Darwin Nunez)) if they're any good, a load of others will also be interested and would also know about them. Finding CF gems that can score in the PL that nobody else knows about isnt going to happen often if ever.

That said, being PL, There could be huge benefit in following our Matt Clarke model in buying top talent from L1 or abroad and loaning them. Going after the same pool that Brentford would be attracted to. Would a player prefer Brentford wih no gaurantee of top flight, Or Brighton still play in Championship but potential to make our squad if they cut it?
Ivan Toney for 9 million, then loaning him to the likes of Derby/Swansea etc seems like a pretty decent punt. If he fires he's 20 million+ (Brentford model) if he doesnt, you'll still recoup a decent amount.

That could be a sensible plan if combined with a good loan or two (EG Brewster). Without that, you might not still be a Premier League club once they’re due to come back!

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Not sure we’re desperate, but sure it’s at the top of the recruitment team’s list........we’ll be signing someone soon (that no-one on here will have predicted). Club are playing an absolute blinder on most things at the moment, this won’t be any different

Bit like Locadia you mean???

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

In Portugal any story involving Benfica guarantees clicks.

In Spain any story involving Benfica drives up the price.

Let's just sit tight like the Lizard holding 3 of a kind and see who folds first.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

No shit Sherlock

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
It does seem as though Benfica are at their limit in terms of what they can pay for him, which could encourage further bids from others, including us, but if the player has a preference to go there it is probably best to let it go, as personal terms are then going to be tough to keep reasonable.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Fair enough I didn’t know Saints or Napoli were in the running :shrug:

Yesterday afternoon the story was:-

"Nunez has been offered to Spurs".

Which despite being the wrong way round does appear to be the most honest assessment of Darwin's summer.

His representation seem to have guaranteed he will be sold for the very highest price irrespective of who offers what and when.

Stat Predicts:-

Nunez will sing for someone (not the Albion) during the extension hour at the end of this window, in October.

The lengths I'm prepared.to go to in order to get the singing done today.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here