Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Darwin Núñez

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Question: why is Benfica an attractive destination for an ambitious young footballer anyway?

And the guy going from Real Madrid to Benfica. Wow.

I get it if it’s your last pay day.
Or no other offers.

But to choose Benfica over the Premier League? I don’t get that. Ok, I guess they play in Europe. But so do Rangers.

Benfica are a famous old club and much bigger than the Albion. They have a brilliant, large stadium which holds 65,000 and they play in Europe every season. Lisbon is one of the best cities in Europe to live in.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Now that is deluded.
Benfica or Brighton .... no contest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not really , it’s like saying Celtic or Brighton

It’s not about the club in question , it’s do you want to play in the global most watched league in the world or some no mark league only the locals care about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Benfica are a famous old club and much bigger than the Albion. They have a brilliant, large stadium which holds 65,000 and they play in Europe every season. Lisbon is one of the best cities in Europe to live in.

A hatrick against Liverpool and he's instantly worth £100,000,000+ and would be coveted by them too.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Playing in a league nobody watches or interested in.

Or playing in the best and most watched league in the world.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

It’s not about the club in question , it’s do you want to play in the global most watched league in the world or some no mark league only the locals care about

Thank you.

Come on guys.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Because they're Benfica.

Come out of the over-hyped Premier League bubble for a minute.

Drivel.

Facts say the Premier league is the most watched league in the world. Your opinions on it is irrelevant

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Question: why is Benfica an attractive destination for an ambitious young footballer anyway?

Or no other offers.

But to choose Benfica over the Premier League? I don’t get that. Ok, I guess they play in Europe. But so do Rangers.

Benfica play in the Champions League basically every season. Then there's the obvious appeal of similarity in lifestyle to Portgual from Spain. Plus Benfica are a fixture in the footballing rich list.

I could understand maybe why you'd query moving to Benfica over, for example, Ajax, Dortmund or Arsenal, but they're clearly and obviously a much more attractive option than Brighton.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Benfica play in the Champions League basically every season. Then there's the obvious appeal of similarity in lifestyle to Portgual from Spain. Plus Benfica are a fixture in the footballing rich list.

I could understand maybe why you'd query moving to Benfica over, for example, Ajax, Dortmund or Arsenal, but they're clearly and obviously a much more attractive option than Brighton.

But so do Celtic and Rangers? (Ok no jokes about Celtic [emoji38])

Ahh I don’t want to diss Benfica. I know they’ve got great history and pedigree. And I’m sure it’s a lovely place to live (as is Scotland).

But I would question an ambitious young footballer choosing to play in that duff Portuguese league over the Prem. Not about us, or about Brighton.

We have one of the best leagues in the world here. No hype required (don’t get that one either “omg PL is overhyped”).

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Disappointed if true but can completely understand why at this stage of his career he would choose Benfica over Brighton.

Only 21, one decent season at Spanish second division..... a move to Portugal where he can adapt to the culture far easier than the UK... get some champions league experience etc.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Ahhh... don’t misquote me thank you. Not what I said.

More accurately: Portuguese League or Premier League.

Implication was either Brighton in the premier or Benfica in the Portuguese league. No contest.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Disappointed if true but can completely understand why at this stage of his career he would choose Benfica over Brighton.

Only 21, one decent season at Spanish second division..... a move to Portugal where he can adapt to the culture far easier than the UK... get some champions league experience etc.

So you think he doesn't back himself?

If that's the case he'll never 'make it' anywhere.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

The Scottish league is nowhere near the Portuguese league so that is a very poor comparison.

It is about the club. What would you prefer.? In a team that has been fighting relegation for three years or a team that will be playing in Europe and most likely in the later stages?

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
So you think he doesn't back himself?

If that's the case he'll never 'make it' anywhere.

I’ve no idea I don’t know him or ever heard him speak.

Also I’m not saying it’s the RIGHT decision, just that I can see there could be reasons why he might go to Benfica as his next step.

We didn’t think Ben White was ready so we loaned him to Leeds to develop, no reason to suggest the team around Núñez (agent, family) etc aren’t thinking the same thing.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
This sounds pretty conclusive for Benfica.

https://www.abola.pt/nnh/2020-08-28/benfica-agente-de-darwin-nunez-vem-a-lisboa-para-avancar-negociacoes/858669

DARWIN NÚÑEZ AGENT COMES TO LISBON TO «ADVANCE NEGOTIATIONS»
BENFICA 12:57
By
Writing
Edgardo Lasalvia, representative of Darwin Núñez, has planned to travel to Lisbon this weekend in order to arrange with Benfica the possible transfer of the Uruguayan striker to Luz.

Says the La Voz de Almería that the agent will move to the Portuguese capital 'with the intention of advancing negotiations "aimed at the entry of 21 - years in eagles.

«Benfica returned to the charge by the Uruguayan scorer and everything points out that the Portuguese team is the destiny of the footballer», it can be read.

I read the article in La Voz earlier. It's was just a couple of paragraphs with no quotes from anyone. Meanwhile, the Italian press are reporting that Napoli are preparing a bid.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I read the article in La Voz earlier. It's was just a couple of paragraphs with no quotes from anyone. Meanwhile, the Italian press are reporting that Napoli are preparing a bid.

Chances are the only thing we've learned from the last couple of weeks is:-

'Darwin's 'people' can work the media, good'.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Or no other offers.

:laugh:

You've spent too much time reading tweets from Leeds fans.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
The Scottish league is nowhere near the Portuguese league so that is a very poor comparison.

It is about the club. What would you prefer.? In a team that has been fighting relegation for three years or a team that will be playing in Europe and most likely in the later stages?

Not really , I’d say the Jock league probably has more viewers with Celtic fans across the world .

Benfica usually get six group matches before crashing out . I’d understand if they were a team that could compete at the sharp end of the CL .

I’m well aware how big Benfica are , I’m not saying they’re a nothing club , far from it , just seems a safe option to take .

Oh well , never mind . I felt this one was a bit of a punt anyway .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here