Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Darwin Núñez

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
One thing is certain. It is so ****ing obvious that we need a target man striker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

albionite

May 20, 2009
@morefutball

https://maisfutebol.iol.pt/almeria/transferencias/darwin-nunez-nao-sei-nada-do-benfica

Darwn Nuñez restarted work with Almería this Saturday and was asked about Benfica's alleged interest. The Uruguayan striker had a short answer about the reds. "I don't know anything about Benfica," he told La Voz de Almeria.

The Andalusian newspaper also writes that the striker confirmed that the businessman who represents him, Edgardo Lasalvia, is in the city, but Darwin Nuñez said nothing about whether the agent would travel to Lisbon.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
@morefutball

https://maisfutebol.iol.pt/almeria/transferencias/darwin-nunez-nao-sei-nada-do-benfica

Darwn Nuñez restarted work with Almería this Saturday and was asked about Benfica's alleged interest. The Uruguayan striker had a short answer about the reds. "I don't know anything about Benfica," he told La Voz de Almeria.

The Andalusian newspaper also writes that the striker confirmed that the businessman who represents him, Edgardo Lasalvia, is in the city, but Darwin Nuñez said nothing about whether the agent would travel to Lisbon.

Looks like we are still in this one...surely someone soon will come up with cash to put it to bed soon..

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
You can't read anything into the lack of comment from the player. I'm sure he's been told to keep quiet.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
One thing is certain. It is so ****ing obvious that we need a target man striker.

I think its obvious we need another striker, simply because of the number of players available in that position. A serious injury to one of them and we're in trouble. But I dont think it's obvious we need a target man. Thats assuming we both have the same definition of target man. To me that is a powerful centre forward who is good in the air, and gets on the end of crosses and balls forward, either flicking it on or holding it up. Personally I dont think the way we play suits a target man anymore. Our style of play is patient and relies on building moves, the skills we need from a front man is someone who is fast and can create and exploit spaces in defences with speed and movement. I personally wouldnt describe that as the skill set of a target man.

I do think we need another striker/forward but the key signing this summer would be a LWB equal to Lamptey. Someone like Rico Henry. I think if our team was balanced with dual threats down either side, it would force teams out of shape to deal with us. It will be harder to keep their shape because their defence will have stretch to deal with our wide threat, this in turn creates gaps and spaces for forward players to move into. I think Maupay and Connolly would score more goals given these spaces.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
This saga could go on for a couple of weeks yet. We don't mind leaving it late before completing a crucial signing.

Last summer we didn't announce Maupay until 5 days before our first game of the season.

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
We still need two really and as I think we could use molumby in the dm role and March/burn/Bernardo in lwb we should really push the boat out to get this guy and edouard/grant/Watkins anything between 40-60 mil for two of them would still see a relatively cost effective window

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I think its obvious we need another striker, simply because of the number of players available in that position. A serious injury to one of them and we're in trouble. But I dont think it's obvious we need a target man. Thats assuming we both have the same definition of target man. To me that is a powerful centre forward who is good in the air, and gets on the end of crosses and balls forward, either flicking it on or holding it up. Personally I dont think the way we play suits a target man anymore. Our style of play is patient and relies on building moves, the skills we need from a front man is someone who is fast and can create and exploit spaces in defences with speed and movement. I personally wouldnt describe that as the skill set of a target man.

I do think we need another striker/forward but the key signing this summer would be a LWB equal to Lamptey. Someone like Rico Henry. I think if our team was balanced with dual threats down either side, it would force teams out of shape to deal with us. It will be harder to keep their shape because their defence will have stretch to deal with our wide threat, this in turn creates gaps and spaces for forward players to move into. I think Maupay and Connolly would score more goals given these spaces.

For me, we need a ‘replacement’ for Glen but, and this is crucial, with pace. I hope that qualifies what I mean here. It is also crucial he is good at heading the ball (yes, Maupay is good in the air, but lacks height).

For me the striker is far more important than a LWB, but the latter is the 2nd priority, and I agree Henry would be my first choice for that position.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
For me, we need a ‘replacement’ for Glen but, and this is crucial, with pace. I hope that qualifies what I mean here. It is also crucial he is good at heading the ball (yes, Maupay is good in the air, but lacks height).

For me the striker is far more important than a LWB, but the latter is the 2nd priority, and I agree Henry would be my first choice for that position.

A younger Glen Murray (presumably the Glen of a couple of seasons ago) with pace ?

Harry Kane should fit the bill ???

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Totally agree, and finding someone who was as good as Muzza a few years ago will be hard. Nunez has loads of promise, best striker by stats across every second division in europe. He will be a top player.

If we could, I would love to get Nunez compatriot from Valencia Maxi Gomez (24), as good a header as Muzza and great with feet, athletic, strong.....just like the best of Muzza a few years ago! he would be the dogs danglies...... Though just pipe dreams and more likely we'll end up with some cheaper punt from the bargain section (relatively speaking).

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Thats good news.

This is 100% true....... weirdly last night I actually dreamt that Nunez had signed for us, was fist pumping as he was revealed holding up the shirt.

Though I woudnt put a £1 on it as I dont think that was in any way a premonition and simply down tot he fact Ive been spending far to much time on NSC and have become too invested in the Albion-Benfica tug of war!

Could also be too much time on he Leeds thread, that I'm starting to fantasise my own reality!

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Behind a paywall......... puts the Argus off limits to me along with The Athletic.

"A well-placed source today confirmed talks are ongoing - amid suggestions in Spain that the Seagulls are well placed to land the Uruguayan goal-getter.

Local media covering his current club Almeria have been told Albion have moved ahead of Benfica in the running for Nunez’s signature and are close to sealing the deal."

It then goes on to say they don't know if that's to spur on Benfica who had a 20.5million bid rejected. Benfica apparently want to include a player swap in the deal to lower the cost but Almeira aren't interested in that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here