Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Darwin Núñez

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Yes indeed, Harry Kane, Leonardo Messi, Crisiano Ronaldo, any of those would fit the bill!

Unfortunately anyone with all of the credentials certain posters seem to think are required, are few and far between, and priced way out of our league.

One with a dodgy ankle and the other two too old, no resale value. Surely we can do better than those 3. Barber out.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Personally, I'd be happy with someone who runs as infrequently as Glenn but is a natural goalscorer. Someone who instinctively kicks a volley or half volley rather than stops the ball and sets up their own kick. Someone who can spin on the spot and *know* where the goal is and place the ball in the top corner without looking up.

It's a big ask, but not what Glenn, or Neil, or Aaron is. We have shown over the last couple of seasons that we can bring the ball to the edge of the penalty area but we then panic and no one wants to pull the trigger. That's what we miss.

Our new striker doesn't need to be everything, doesn't need to bring the ball themselves or hold it up for support, just someone who can pull the trigger and hit more often than not (and be happy with that!).

We have the other skills, collectively, so just need the missing bit.

As described we need a fox in the box. A Glenn Murray type. We are not going to get a world top striker coming to us, so someone canny.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon
Spanish journalist here: https://twitter.com/AlvaroLevrero/status/1300045298866192385?s=19

translation:
DARWIN NÚÑEZ AL #BRIGHTON? The counselor of @U_D_Almeria Mohamed El Assy met on Friday in Almería with people from @OfficialBHAFC: they offer more for @ Darwinn99 than @SLBenfica. The "Chino" #Lasalvia, his representative, also arrived in Almería on Friday. Source: #LaVozdeAlmeria

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I think its obvious we need another striker, simply because of the number of players available in that position. A serious injury to one of them and we're in trouble. But I dont think it's obvious we need a target man. Thats assuming we both have the same definition of target man. To me that is a powerful centre forward who is good in the air, and gets on the end of crosses and balls forward, either flicking it on or holding it up. Personally I dont think the way we play suits a target man anymore. Our style of play is patient and relies on building moves, the skills we need from a front man is someone who is fast and can create and exploit spaces in defences with speed and movement. I personally wouldnt describe that as the skill set of a target man.

I do think we need another striker/forward but the key signing this summer would be a LWB equal to Lamptey. Someone like Rico Henry. I think if our team was balanced with dual threats down either side, it would force teams out of shape to deal with us. It will be harder to keep their shape because their defence will have stretch to deal with our wide threat, this in turn creates gaps and spaces for forward players to move into. I think Maupay and Connolly would score more goals given these spaces.

Spot on that is.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
A younger Glen Murray (presumably the Glen of a couple of seasons ago) with pace ?

Harry Kane should fit the bill ???

Wouldn’t say no! [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Totally agree, and finding someone who was as good as Muzza a few years ago will be hard. Nunez has loads of promise, best striker by stats across every second division in europe. He will be a top player.

If we could, I would love to get Nunez compatriot from Valencia Maxi Gomez (24), as good a header as Muzza and great with feet, athletic, strong.....just like the best of Muzza a few years ago! he would be the dogs danglies...... Though just pipe dreams and more likely we'll end up with some cheaper punt from the bargain section (relatively speaking).

How much for Gomez? Sounds great [emoji106]

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
As described we need a fox in the box. A Glenn Murray type. We are not going to get a world top striker coming to us, so someone canny.

I see Glenn as someone who can bundle it over the line in a goal mouth scramble. However, I think we need a poacher who will strike suddenly from the edge of the box.

Everyone we have is either too afraid to take the shot or has to spend so long keying up the shot they telegraph what they are doing.

A natural goal scorer can hit on the volley without thinking.

Am saying I would forgo the goal mouth scramble goals and even the headed crosses to have the shots from distance that catch everyone unawares.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I’m going to get flamed here but I really enjoy the thrill of the chase, the on/off nature, the will he/won’t he anxiety.

We had it with Calleri and Jahanbakhsh, it’s just fascinating reading the gossip and dodgy sources and wondering if all our tail feather flapping is grabbing the man’s attention.

And those who don’t think we need Darwin, think again.

Potterball is all about fluid tactics and set-ups. What Potter wants is options. Look at the Lamptey and Veltman options at RB or RWB, Potter can pick very different strengths and characteristics for the good of the overall balance of the team. Also, check out Potter’s use of McBurnie at Swansea, he likes a tall strong unit up front at times.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I’m going to get flamed here but I really enjoy the thrill of the chase, the on/off nature, the will he/won’t he anxiety.

We had it with Calleri and Jahanbakhsh, it’s just fascinating reading the gossip and dodgy sources and wondering if all our tail feather flapping is grabbing the man’s attention.

Potterball is all about fluid tactics and set-ups. What Potter wants is options. Look at the Lamptey and Veltman options at RB or RWB, Potter can pick very different strengths and characteristics for the good of the overall balance of the team. Also, check out Potter’s use of McBurnie at Swansea, he likes a tall strong unit up front at times.

I will only be happy if/when we land our striker target [emoji457] [emoji91]

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

And what we have to remember about this season is that there will be a lot of games in not much time. We know Potter deals with this by rotation and in an ideal world, the players who come in shouldn't be weakening us

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013

Totally agree.

I can’t imagine having absolutely no crumbs to go on, over the off-season. I’d go bonkers.

The chase gives us something to enjoy whilst there’s no football.

A few foreign and barely translatable sources later and it looks like we’re in with a shout again. I love it!

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
https://www.diariodealmeria.es/deportes/Brighton-Benfica-pulso-Darwin-Nunez_0_1496850543.html

Brighton or Benfica, final pulse by Darwin Núñez
The English club offers 25 million and takes the lead against the UDA in the bid for a Uruguayan striker who wants to wear the Portuguese team's elastic

Brighton or Benfica, final pulse by Darwin Núñez

The culebrón Atletico this summer is getting closer to closing. It is a matter of hours before the departure of Uruguayan striker Darwin Núñez from Unión Deportiva Almería becomes official . What will be the fate of the scorer? That is the big question. When everything seemed to indicate that their future was already more than directed towards Benfica, Brighton has taken the lead against the UDA in the bid for the attacker, whose desire is to wear the Portuguese team's elastic.

It is being a key weekend , given the first team of the UDA begins the preseason this Tuesday, September 1 in Marbella. The Uruguayan and his representative had lunch this Sunday with Joao Gonçalves, while emissaries from both the English and Portuguese entities have also held meetings in the last three days with Mohamed El Assy . According to Diario As , Las Gaviotas have offered 25 million euros plus a bonus , after the previous week they put on the table 18 million plus seven in variables.

For its part, Benfica , according to information from the Portuguese newspaper O Jogo , the Eagles would have offered between 22 and 23 million euros, plus a clause that included a percentage in the future sale of the Uruguayan. In addition, the Portuguese club offered the players Lerma and Cádiz (he will go on loan to Nashville SC of the MLS), but coach José Gomes would have fixed his interest on the young midfielder Diogo Gonçalves , although the winger would not be willing to play in the Second Division . Both parties also collide in the time of payment of the operation . The Portuguese intend to divide the amount in five years and the Almeria set only two as a limit.

The best hope for the Lisbon Eagles is that Darwin Núñez's preference is to wear the Benfica jersey. In fact, according to the Record newspaper , the footballer would have already reached an agreement with said club, which would not be willing to raise its offer. It should be remembered that the UDA has also received bids from Inter, Naples, Wolfsburg and Leipzig, although the final pulse for the rojiblanco top scorer last season (16 goals in 32 games), is finally starring Benfica and Brighton.

What is clear is that the transfer of the Uruguayan will be the most expensive move in the history of the silver category of Spanish football, surpassing the signing of Hasselbaink to Atlético de Madrid that cost Chelsea 22 million.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here