Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Darwin Núñez

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
https://www.diariodealmeria.es/deportes/Brighton-Benfica-pulso-Darwin-Nunez_0_1496850543.html

Brighton or Benfica, final pulse by Darwin Núñez
The English club offers 25 million and takes the lead against the UDA in the bid for a Uruguayan striker who wants to wear the Portuguese team's elastic

The culebrón Atletico this summer is getting closer to closing. It is a matter of hours before the departure of Uruguayan striker Darwin Núñez from Unión Deportiva Almería becomes official . What will be the fate of the scorer? That is the big question. When everything seemed to indicate that their future was already more than directed towards Benfica, Brighton has taken the lead against the UDA in the bid for the attacker, whose desire is to wear the Portuguese team's elastic.

It is being a key weekend , given the first team of the UDA begins the preseason this Tuesday, September 1 in Marbella. The Uruguayan and his representative had lunch this Sunday with Joao Gonçalves, while emissaries from both the English and Portuguese entities have also held meetings in the last three days with Mohamed El Assy . According to Diario As , Las Gaviotas have offered 25 million euros plus a bonus , after the previous week they put on the table 18 million plus seven in variables.

For its part, Benfica , according to information from the Portuguese newspaper O Jogo , the Eagles would have offered between 22 and 23 million euros, plus a clause that included a percentage in the future sale of the Uruguayan. In addition, the Portuguese club offered the players Lerma and Cádiz (he will go on loan to Nashville SC of the MLS), but coach José Gomes would have fixed his interest on the young midfielder Diogo Gonçalves , although the winger would not be willing to play in the Second Division . Both parties also collide in the time of payment of the operation . The Portuguese intend to divide the amount in five years and the Almeria set only two as a limit.

The best hope for the Lisbon Eagles is that Darwin Núñez's preference is to wear the Benfica jersey. In fact, according to the Record newspaper , the footballer would have already reached an agreement with said club, which would not be willing to raise its offer. It should be remembered that the UDA has also received bids from Inter, Naples, Wolfsburg and Leipzig, although the final pulse for the rojiblanco top scorer last season (16 goals in 32 games), is finally starring Benfica and Brighton.

What is clear is that the transfer of the Uruguayan will be the most expensive move in the history of the silver category of Spanish football, surpassing the signing of Hasselbaink to Atlético de Madrid that cost Chelsea 22 million.

Sounds promising, I think. Forgot Benfica were the eagles

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
https://www.diariodealmeria.es/deportes/Brighton-Benfica-pulso-Darwin-Nunez_0_1496850543.html

The English club offers 25 million and takes the lead against the UDA in the bid for a Uruguayan striker who wants to wear the Portuguese team's elastic

The culebrón Atletico this summer is getting closer to closing. It is a matter of hours before the departure of Uruguayan striker Darwin Núñez from Unión Deportiva Almería becomes official . What will be the fate of the scorer? That is the big question. When everything seemed to indicate that their future was already more than directed towards Benfica, Brighton has taken the lead against the UDA in the bid for the attacker, whose desire is to wear the Portuguese team's elastic.

It is being a key weekend , given the first team of the UDA begins the preseason this Tuesday, September 1 in Marbella. The Uruguayan and his representative had lunch this Sunday with Joao Gonçalves, while emissaries from both the English and Portuguese entities have also held meetings in the last three days with Mohamed El Assy . According to Diario As , Las Gaviotas have offered 25 million euros plus a bonus , after the previous week they put on the table 18 million plus seven in variables.

For its part, Benfica , according to information from the Portuguese newspaper O Jogo , the Eagles would have offered between 22 and 23 million euros, plus a clause that included a percentage in the future sale of the Uruguayan. In addition, the Portuguese club offered the players Lerma and Cádiz (he will go on loan to Nashville SC of the MLS), but coach José Gomes would have fixed his interest on the young midfielder Diogo Gonçalves , although the winger would not be willing to play in the Second Division . Both parties also collide in the time of payment of the operation . The Portuguese intend to divide the amount in five years and the Almeria set only two as a limit.

The best hope for the Lisbon Eagles is that Darwin Núñez's preference is to wear the Benfica jersey. In fact, according to the Record newspaper , the footballer would have already reached an agreement with said club, which would not be willing to raise its offer. It should be remembered that the UDA has also received bids from Inter, Naples, Wolfsburg and Leipzig, although the final pulse for the rojiblanco top scorer last season (16 goals in 32 games), is finally starring Benfica and Brighton.

What is clear is that the transfer of the Uruguayan will be the most expensive move in the history of the silver category of Spanish football, surpassing the signing of Hasselbaink to Atlético de Madrid that cost Chelsea 22 million.

Anyone got any clue how reliable that Spanish site is? Eg twitter followers etc - is it like the Argus of Almeria?!

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Anyone got any clue how reliable that Spanish site is? Eg twitter followers etc - is it like the Argus of Almeria?!
Looks like a local paper for Almeria, so could well be about as reliable as The Argus.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

The journo who wrote the piece has just 658 followers on Twitter.

Not sure if we can deduce much from that though.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon

so I suppose it's now down to the Albion to sell the club to Nunez and convince him of the project here.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Looks like a local paper for Almeria, so could well be about as reliable as The Argus.

‘Brighton has taken the lead against the UDA in the bid for the attacker, whose desire is to wear the Portuguese team's elastic.‘

Looks more likely he’s coming to us but the player allegedly would prefer Benfica... mmmm

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
It does sound like this is coming to a head over the next day or two. Even if we miss out, we have plenty of time to move our sights onto another of our targets.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
‘Brighton has taken the lead against the UDA in the bid for the attacker, whose desire is to wear the Portuguese team's elastic.‘

Looks more likely he’s coming to us but the player allegedly would prefer Benfica... mmmm

I’m hoping Benfica’s interest doesn’t sour his interest coming here. If Benfica back out due to finances, hopefully he’s still willing to make a move.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
so I suppose it's now down to the Albion to sell the club to Nunez and convince him of the project here.

Being Uruguayan, he’s going to be a nasty fouling type. Palace will HATE him! On that basis alone, I’m IN!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Are you Ben White in disguise.........

larus

I wouldn't be too precious about it. Benfica to have a rich history and a tradition of playing good football, so I can see their appeal more than us. Our history of top flight English football is only 8 years. Yes, we aspire for more and are building that way, but we don't have a nostalgic appeal.

Once (IF) he gets here, to the club, facilities, Sussex, I'm sure he'll settle in fine.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I wouldn't be too precious about it. Benfica to have a rich history and a tradition of playing good football, so I can see their appeal more than us. Our history of top flight English football is only 8 years. Yes, we aspire for more and are building that way, but we don't have a nostalgic appeal.

Once (IF) he gets here, to the club, facilities, Sussex, I'm sure he'll settle in fine.

Look out the window at the grey clouds and shit weather. Scraping ice off the motor in January/February. I can certainly see the appeal of Portugal.

To the outsider the size and stature of Benfica is obvious, but there's a lot of pluses being here too, much better league, he's going to be one of the 2 main men and the only man who can fill the Muzza role, not one of 4 in Benfica who also have some fella coming from Madrid on season loan.

This club is a family and really looks after the players imho, so if he can buy into the vision I dont think he'll have the slightest regrets down the line, but right now he's likely to know a lot about Benfica and Lisbon the capital and not so much about us or our city by the sea.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just send this to Nunu asking if he fancies getting on the end of this kind of delivery:-

[tweet]1273589435955924992[/tweet]

With the added caveat that:-

'Much of the fan base want to get rid because they think we can do better'.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
As.com (Spanish sports tabloid) reporting this:

Isn’t google translate rather good!

Brighton has advanced this weekend to Benfica in the soap opera 'Darwin Núñez', which is increasingly close to closing. Not in vain, both with the Uruguayan and his representative are already in Almeria and the conversations between all the parties are constant and daily (today the two Uruguayans have had lunch with Joao Gonçalves). In addition, this weekend emissaries from Brighton and Benfica have met with red and white representation. 'The seagulls' have offered 25 million euros plus a bonus, when less than a week ago they put on the table 18 kilos plus seven in variables.

Benfica's offer is practically similar, since the Portuguese go for 22 million to which players should be added. Of course, Almería prefers money to footballers, being Diogo Gonzalçes the only one to the liking of José Gomes. And the winger from Almodova does not want to play in the Second Division. The parties are also colliding in the time of payment of the transfer, since Benfica wants to divide the amount in five years and the people from Almeria put a maximum of 24 months.

Darwin likes the Lisbon option and, according to 'Record', he would have already reached an agreement with the club chaired by Luís Filipe Vieira, reluctant to raise his offer and trusting that the UDA will accept the player's wish, especially when the Uruguayan environment has given Almería freedom without putting too many obstacles. Inter, Naples, Wolfsburg and Leipzig (the last two offered 23 million) are still on the prowl.

http://as.com/futbol/2020/08/30/segunda/1598791710_945880.html

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Just send this to Nunu asking if he fancies getting on the end of this kind of delivery:-

Did you want the midfielders thread Stat, or is this a a personal message fro Darwin about the quality of service he can expect from our German contingent !

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

Interesting stat, but will his numbers drop once Duffy leaves and BDB is on the bench?

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
I think its obvious we need another striker, simply because of the number of players available in that position. A serious injury to one of them and we're in trouble. But I dont think it's obvious we need a target man. Thats assuming we both have the same definition of target man. To me that is a powerful centre forward who is good in the air, and gets on the end of crosses and balls forward, either flicking it on or holding it up. Personally I dont think the way we play suits a target man anymore. Our style of play is patient and relies on building moves, the skills we need from a front man is someone who is fast and can create and exploit spaces in defences with speed and movement. I personally wouldnt describe that as the skill set of a target man.

I do think we need another striker/forward but the key signing this summer would be a LWB equal to Lamptey. Someone like Rico Henry. I think if our team was balanced with dual threats down either side, it would force teams out of shape to deal with us. It will be harder to keep their shape because their defence will have stretch to deal with our wide threat, this in turn creates gaps and spaces for forward players to move into. I think Maupay and Connolly would score more goals given these spaces.
I agree with most of this but I dont agree that the LWB situation is that simple. We arent balanced and I think that is deliberate as we shift quickly into a medium block when we cede possession. Lamptey although exciting is currently positionally week and as such is better with a back 3 which does open things up but Potter seems to want the opposite WB to cover centrally in a 4.

If he does want a LWB, I think it would be a flexible one who can play more centrally in the midfield as needed or in the channels. Or he'd want a LB who can cover centrally in a 5. I think we'd be more likely to see a left-sided Veltman equivalent than a Lamptey.

On the striker front, i agree. Strong, energetic with great movement is more important than a big target man. Another Maupay or Connolly would be nice. I expect both to hit double figures this season.

Striker is priority in my view.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here