Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Burn to Saudi FC

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
So, we were clever banking that £13m from naive Eddie Howe.

Now falling like a stone, the merit pay increment for each EPL final position is £2m.

But in reality, if Webster was fit would Burn have started?
He didn’t at the start of the season, and only hit form towards the end of his time with us when he played in his best position. Did okay as a temporary LWB, but as soon as he came up against a tricky wide player was buggered.

I think if Webster played today, we’d have probably won today ( but all if’s and but’s). 😃

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Derail our entire season for £13m? Newcastle must hardly be able to believe their luck.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Clarke is barely playing for WBA and Van Hecke was way out of his depth against a mobile and physical Fulham team today. But let’s hope so.

West Brom's new manager came in and thought he'd do that new manager thing and shake things up. He thought dropping Clarke could be a dynamic and impressive move; it wasn't - they lost - and lost again. He's now had the sense to put Clarke back in the team. Most West Brom fans seem to rate him, and there were mutterings when he was dropped.
Van Hecke is well in the runnng for player of the season at a top six Championship side.

Last edited:

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Nicely put.
No it didn’t, but we’re not the centre of the universe and at the time thought we had adequate cover.
It’s not a big deal, Webster is the one we are really missing.

You just can’t rely on the health of one CB in the PL.

Webster’s had some pretty dodgy games for us as well. Who’s to say he’d have got in the team if Dunk and Burn were playing well?

It’s looking like a bigger deal by the game….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
West Brom's new manager came in and thought he'd do that new manager thing and shake things up. He thought dropping Clarke could be a dynamic and impressive move; it wasn't - they lost - and lost again. He's now had the sense to put Clarke back in the team. Most West Brom fans seem to rate him, and there were murtterings when he was dropped.
Van Hecke is well in the runnng for player of the season at a top six Championship side.

I work with 2 WBA ST holders who rate Clarke highly and think he is good enough for the Premier League. Not sure why Bruce has dropped him but it hasn't worked out so far.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
But in reality, if Webster was fit would Burn have started?
He didn’t at the start of the season, and only hit form towards the end of his time with us when he played in his best position. Did okay as a temporary LWB, but as soon as he came up against a tricky wide player was buggered.

I think if Webster played today, we’d have probably won today ( but all if’s and but’s). ��

When Newcastle courted Burn, Dunk was injured and then recovering from injury.

Everyone seems to accept that we are at our best with a back three of proper CB's.

Burn's sale, a choice made by the club (Burn didn't sulk), was a gamble that failed as Dunk struggled and Webster got injured.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I dont think Brighton would have lost four in a row with BDB in the team. Not saying the difference would have been massive but all in all it seems like it was a bit of a miscalculation to sell him.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
West Brom's new manager came in and thought he'd do that new manager thing and shake things up. He thought dropping Clarke could be a dynamic and impressive move; it wasn't - they lost - and lost again. He's now had the sense to put Clarke back in the team. Most West Brom fans seem to rate him, and there were murtterings when he was dropped.

I really hope they can both contribute next season. We need new blood and some freshness. It’s all so stale.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020

Everyone seems to accept that we are at our best with a back three of proper CB's.

Burn's sale, a choice made by the club (Burn didn't sulk), was a gamble that failed as Dunk struggled and Webster got injured.

It also means you’re forced to play Duffy. A warrior and great on his day but really not suited to the way Potter plays. So it’s a double whammy.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

To be fair at the time the club couldn’t predict that Webster would get injured or Dunk would struggle post injury. Everyone was quite happy versus Watford, and Newcastle caused us little trouble today.

We lost versus Burnley because we weren’t up for a fight, and Gerrard out-coached Potter IMO in the Villa game, or put a different way Potter made bad decisions.

You say that Burn didn’t sulk, but to be fair he was never in that position.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
To be fair at the time the club couldn’t predict that Webster would get injured or Dunk would struggle post injury. Everyone was quite happy versus Watford, and Newcastle caused us little trouble today.

We lost versus Burnley because we weren’t up for a fight, and Gerrard out-coached Potter IMO in the Villa game, or put a different way Potter made bad decisions.

You say that Burn didn’t sulk, but to be fair he was never in that position.

I believe in having cover, injuries/bans are just around the corner.

The first time I can ever recall the Albion nailing this was 2016/17:

CM two - Sidwell, Norwood, Kayal, Stephens.
CB two - Dunk, Hunemaier, Duffy, Goldson.

The Burn sale left our 3 x proper CB’s formation, vulnerable to absences. So it proved.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I work with 2 WBA ST holders who rate Clarke highly and think he is good enough for the Premier League. Not sure why Bruce has dropped him but it hasn't worked out so far.

He brought Clarke back in as LCB today - and they cruised to a comfortable away win, keeping a clean sheet in the process.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I believe in having cover, injuries/bans are just around the corner.

The first time I can ever recall the Albion nailing this was 2016/17:

CM two - Sidwell, Norwood, Kayal, Stephens.
CB two - Dunk, Hunemaier, Duffy, Goldson.

The Burn sale left our 3 x proper CB’s formation, vulnerable to absences. So it proved.

The fourth CB is Duffy.

Potter often switches to 4 at the back anyway during games.

Webster, Veltman and Dunk are the starting CBs with Duffy providing cover.
For two of them to go down was the perfect storm.

My only quibble is we didn’t get £15m - £18m for Burn (which perhaps we might with add-one.

We’ll have to agree to disagree 😃

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
He brought Clarke back in as LCB today - and they cruised to a comfortable away win, keeping a clean sheet in the process.

Wonder if Clarke will be brought back in as a back-up centre back next season? 25 years old now so got to be now or never.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Wonder if Clarke will be brought back in as a back-up centre back next season? 25 years old now so got to be now or never.

Yes, good question. Three solid years in the Championship (and wasn't he POTS his first year at Derby) without a sniff of a recall to play for the Albion. You have to ask if the Albion powers that be have decided that top end Championship is his level. Personally I wouldn't have minded if we'd recalled him in January - we'd lost the left sided CB Dan Burn (yes I know - another conversation!) and Potter seems reluctant to give Roberts even a few minutes as a sub.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Yes, good question. Three solid years in the Championship (and wasn't he POTS his first year at Derby) without a sniff of a recall to play for the Albion. You have to ask if the Albion powers that be have decided that top end Championship is his level. Personally I wouldn't have minded if we'd recalled him in January - we'd lost the left sided CB Dan Burn (yes I know - another conversation!) and Potter seems reluctant to give Roberts even a few minutes as a sub.

Roberts has looked shaky every time I’ve seen him - obviously time on his side though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here