Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Burn to Saudi FC

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Duffy started the campaign as our best defender , Webster then started playing well , Dunk has been hit and miss and we also had Veltman playing well in some games. When Dunk was injured everyone thought the worst but low and behold Burn had a terrific run , scored, nearly scored against Leicester and actually improved our ply by getting the ball forward quickly and doing some great defensive work. But key to all of this was our ability to maintain 3 centre halves allowing Cucurella and Lamptey to get forward.

This is exactly right. Lamptey at RWB and Cucu at LWB is key. Both nullified at the moment.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
This looks a worse decision with every game.

It's inexplicable. Bloom wants us to be a top ten club. We had the top ten in sight, then he blows it by selling one of our best defenders and an integral and versatile member of the squad to another Premier League team.

Also, don't say it's about the money - the amount we got for Burn is the same as the difference in prize money between 8th and 12th place.

Last edited:

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Apart from anything else, he was our most in form defender. We’ve been left with Duffy and Dunk, neither whom had played for months, and suddenly we look all over the place at the back.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I’ve mentioned a few times - but I just don’t get it no matter how hard I try and understand the reasoning some have posted on here.

He was our first choice centre half when we sold him. Yes Dunk was injured but it was highly debatable he’d have got back in the team the way Burn was playing. His performance against Lukaku was second to none. It also highlighted how weak our defensive options are without him.

In my opinion it was just a really bad decision by the club - end of.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
The blokes a geordie. He wanted to play for his home side. He's getting older(still good though). I don't begrudge him going home....could've waited til the summer, but they probably wouldn't want him then!

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The blokes a geordie. He wanted to play for his home side. He's getting older(still good though). I don't begrudge him going home....could've waited til the summer, but they probably wouldn't want him then!

From the point of view of sentiment it was quite a heart warming story - hard working local boy finally works his way up the football pyramid and gets his dream move to his home town club that he supported as a boy. He'd earned the chance too, fair play to him.
Didn't do us a lot of good though - and that's putting it lightly!

Poppett63

Jul 16, 2011
We still have two great replacements for Burn in Van Hecke and Clarke out on loan plus Roberts still at the ranch. Van Hecke looks the real deal to me. Stop worrying but Burn was the man who stopped us winning today

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
We still have two great replacements for Burn in Van Hecke and Clarke out on loan plus Roberts still at the ranch. Van Hecke looks the real deal to me. Stop worrying but Burn was the man who stopped us winning today

How did he stop us winning?
Agreed until then - thought he did nothing, still Welbeck didn’t move him about much.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
From the point of view of sentiment it was quite a heart warming story - hard working local boy finally works his way up the football pyramid and gets his dream move to his home town club that he supported as a boy. He'd earned the chance too, fair play to him.
Didn't do us a lot of good though - and that's putting it lightly!

Nicely put.
No it didn’t, but we’re not the centre of the universe and at the time thought we had adequate cover.
It’s not a big deal, Webster is the one we are really missing.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If Webster doesn't get injured we don't have this conversation but that's the point. Injuries and suspensions happen, and there was no time to sign a replacement.

There's no getting away from the fact it was an error of judgement to let him go. If you play with 3 CBs you need 5 in the squad, especially if you want Lamptey and Cucurella to get forward.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020

Clarke is barely playing for WBA and Van Hecke was way out of his depth against a mobile and physical Fulham team today. But let’s hope so.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here