Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Burn to Saudi FC

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I'm find it hard to understand what we were doing with this... If the plan was to bring on the young CBs and let him go accordingly, then there absence is frankly odd. We're now, with the current injury picture, and our loan everyone out policy playing a brilliant LWB out of position as a CB where he completely lacks the physicality to succeed... If this was a decision with the best interests of the club at its heart, then that too worries me, re the possible financial reasons for letting him go for what seems like an oddly cheap price.

I have family up here too, who thought we were mad to sell him so cheaply, this was at the time... right now they're almost shaking my hand.

One of said to me, something's not right at Brighton... what's going on? I honestly don't know, but I've had a bad feeling for a while and I can't shake it off. Ultimately a bad transfer is a bad transfer in or out, this felt wrong at the time and feels even worse now.

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
I think it has highlighted we need to sign a new CB or 2 in the summer or be really sure Ostigard, Clarke or Van Heck can step us. I'm not sure they can and we will be shelling out more that the £13 mill toon gave us for Burn. Cucu in the back 5 doesn't work. Veltman not good enough at CB. Back 4 too weak with lamptey in. Duffy needs to be moved on.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
At least that shows some rational thinking.

From the Outside looking in Arsenal and Newcastle must think we must have a weaker team after selling White and Burn.

Both teams have signed players who although were very good in our first 11 are not the best defenders at the club and we are still left in a fantastic position with £63Million in the bank. If we were to lose Webster in the summer then things might be a little different next August.

We do have a weaker team after losing Burn end of debate and its was not about defending , its the way he got the ball forward quickly and the fact he had started to use his height advantage - he looked a threat going forward. He looks a lot better player than Dunk does at the moment and I have been a big supporter of Dunk.

If the club says we needed the £13m then so be it but that cuts across our aspirations of being a top 10 club and more to the point most of that money would be achieved if we finished in the top 10 rather than dropping down the table.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Completely destabilising our side and suddenly looking like relegation candidates is not a bad decision? Maybe you think Cucurella is a perfect LCB and March is a PL level LWB, but I certainly don’t.

I find this point of view weird. So Burn plays today, you think we'd have got a 0-0? Not sure what he'd have done about Cash's goal, can't see it myself. If he plays against Burnley we don't concede three and get a 0-0? Ok, if you say so. We're one point better off and in the same place in the table. Not sure that's worth 13 million, denying Burn his dream move and blocking young talent next season.

Daft to put the woes of our last two performances at the door of Burns departure. If in fact his sale has completely destabilised our side then Potter and the rest of the team are not the people I thought they were, and our problems run deep. No, I don't agree with that.

And even if it were true, so what? We're not going down, we're not going up and our defence will be stronger next season. Short term hit for long term gain.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Mocked last week for saying that we sell a top Premier League player every window.

Defence is a shambles. But made a bit of money from it this afternoon - feel dirty but there's too much complacency around the club at the moment.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
Hate to say I told you so but selling Burn is one of the worst transfers we’ve ever done.

When you consider that each place in the PL is worth £1m we won’t have much change from that £13m come the end of the season. Sold him while in 9th, now in relative free fall. We’ll look back on being 9th in the PL and realise that was when we peaked as a club and selling Burn to those ****ers was a turning point.

But if it helps he was 29 and had 18 months left on his contract…

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I find this point of view weird. So Burn plays today, you think we'd have got a 0-0? Not sure what he'd have done about Cash's goal, can't see it myself. If he plays against Burnley we don't concede three and get a 0-0? Ok, if you say so. We're one point better off and in the same place in the table. Not sure that's worth 13 million, denying Burn his dream move and blocking young talent next season.

Daft to put the woes of our last two performances at the door of Burns departure. If in fact his sale has completely destabilised our side then Potter and the rest of the team are not the people I thought they were, and our problems run deep. No, I don't agree with that.

And even if it were true, so what? We're not going down, we're not going up and our defence will be stronger next season. Short term hit for long term gain.

If you can’t see the balance of the side is totally off then there’s little point debating further. You seem to think CBs are only there to stop goals. But the whole reason players like Burn, Webster, White are valuable is because they help with the whole set up of the side and style of play by being able to defend and also be comfortable on the ball. But seems you’re happy to just write off this season and finish 4th bottom again for the sake of £13m (even though a mid table finish would be worth much more than that). Tough to argue with that sort of logic.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

If Burn is at the club we play 5 at the back and it means Lamptey and more to the point Cucrella get more involved going forward so a completely different starting point.

If youth is the answer then why is Roberts not playing or even on the bench to continue the 3 in the middle which is our style of play.

DBDs dream move is sentiment and really is not something that should come into the team selection.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If you can’t see the balance of the side is totally off then there’s little point debating further. You seem to think CBs are only there to stop goals. But the whole reason players like Burn, Webster, White are valuable is because they help with the whole set up of the side and style of play by being able to defend and also be comfortable on the ball. But seems you’re happy to just write off this season and finish 4th bottom again for the sake of £13m (even though a mid table finish would be worth much more than that). Tough to argue with that sort of logic.

Explain how Burn only made 4 appearances (and only 2 starts) up to 1st December when we were 9th in the table. If he’s that vital how did we do so well without him up until then

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003

Fair enough then, I like big Dan but if you think that he was the key to our entire play, attacking and defensive, then I can't argue with you. Clearly he must have been sold over Potters head, worrying times

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Explain how Burn only made 4 appearances (and only 2 starts) up to 1st December when we were 9th in the table. If he’s that vital how did we do so well without him up until then

How many times did Cucurella play at CB in that time? Burn was, and always has been, a really important part of the squad for exactly games like today and last week when Webster is injured.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
If Burn is at the club we play 5 at the back and it means Lamptey and more to the point Cucrella get more involved going forward so a completely different starting point.

If youth is the answer then why is Roberts not playing or even on the bench to continue the 3 in the middle which is our style of play.

DBDs dream move is sentiment and really is not something that should come into the team selection.

We played four at the back throughout our good run when Dunk was injured and Burn started. People seemed to like our formation then.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
How many times did Cucurella play at CB in that time? Burn was, and always has been, a really important part of the squad for exactly games like today and last week when Webster is injured.

But he wasn’t - Duffy was playing more games than Burn at that point

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo

Agreed - did we let sentimentality and an over confidence in Webster remaining fit or for that matter Dunk ... with Duffy seemingly back to his Celtic era maddeningly poor worst, cloud our judgement... ? Did we likewise assume we were safe with the home banker against Burnley and a point vs Villa likely to ensure our PL status for another year ... hmmmm well that went well. Of course that's merely the ramblings of a no nothing fan... but all the evidence suggests that since Dan Burn was sold we've been (mostly) terrible.

I know I often bang on about playing the younger players, one of whom I suspect was ill today, but by God if Webster is out at Newcastle I hope we see a proper CB or two alongside LD... Cucu is no CB and it totally nullifies our attacking play by forcing him to play centrally with a 'shot' looking Solly looking lost out wide. Indeed, I would have moved Moder wide left and played Alzate centrally today

Selling DB has clearly cost us already, I wonder how GP feels ? As coach he's powerless really when it comes to play dealings, if we're pissed he must be apoplectic.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

Duffy started the campaign as our best defender , Webster then started playing well , Dunk has been hit and miss and we also had Veltman playing well in some games. When Dunk was injured everyone thought the worst but low and behold Burn had a terrific run , scored, nearly scored against Leicester and actually improved our ply by getting the ball forward quickly and doing some great defensive work. But key to all of this was our ability to maintain 3 centre halves allowing Cucurella and Lamptey to get forward.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here