Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Burn to Saudi FC

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
Sell Dan Burn.
Loan out Haydn Roberts
Recall Matt Clarke. Give him the chance to replace Burn in last 4 months of the season. At least we would know whether he could step up for 2022-23 or whether we give a chance to one of the other centre backs or need to recruit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Sell Dan Burn.
Loan out Haydn Roberts
Recall Matt Clarke. Give him the chance to replace Burn in last 4 months of the season. At least we would know whether he could step up for 2022-23 or whether we give a chance to one of the other centre backs or need to recruit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does his loan deal have a recall clause then ?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Is there a formula here?

Work out the value of the player with a 5 year contract (Burn £25), then divide by the amount of time left on their contract.

This makes Burn worth £7.5m which about what Newcastle bid I suspect.

Edit - Biss’ value is £19.5m based on £65m with a 5 year contract.

There's a formula, no doubt - for accounting purposes to spread the cost of a transfer fee over the length of the contract, Basically, depreciation. That's not a formula for working out prospective transfer fees - otherwise why are we paying the same anount as Newcastle want to fleece us for Burn on South American and Eastern European teenagers for the youth teams and to send out to lower leagues on loan? Why on earth should they expect to get Burn for less than 1/6th of the price Arsenal paid for White (or 1/3rd. of what it cost them to buy Chris Wood)? - £8M might be the price if they were buying from a Championship club, but they aren't.
There is no reason for us not to play hard ball here; the price is what we consider gives us sufficient compensation for losing BDB. Maybe it has got to the point of haggling ovr the money now - which could be why Roberts' loan appears to have been put on hold - or why Matt Clarke is suddenly not in the WBA team after being a regular from the start of the season.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
This is probably closest to the actual position

[tweet]1487005058550181894[/tweet]

Dan Burn, refreshingly laid back.

giphy.gif

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
If we had 6 more points, I would be happy with that. I know it would take a massive capitulation to go down but it would be nice to reach 36 points before experimenting.

We could go on a run that emulates the points per game of some of the worst Premier League teams of the last 10 years, and we'd still get 8-10 points in our remaining 16 fixtures. I think we're slightly better than that, even without Dan Burn available as our 3rd/4th choice centre back.

Reckon that this will go to the wire as Newcastle need him for the remainder of the season far more than we need the money.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Sounds like Newcastle are doing a Burnley for Stephens over BDB. Really hope they crash and burn in this game of poker

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
That's the one thing that unnerves me, injuries and suspensions. As recently as post-Christmas we've had a back 2 of Burn and Veltman (who were excellent incidentally) but Dunk is returning from a decent time out and a swift step back to top fitness is unlikely and Webster does sadly tend to pick up more than the occasional muscle injury.

I guess it comes down to how confident our medical team is that Dunk is close to a proper return at the level we'll need him.

My worry, too. And what happens if Cucurrela gets a knock? I would imagine Solly March would play LWB, but other than that we'd be out of options, I think. I'm not sure why we would expose ourselves to that problem (not just for this season, but next season too). BDB is the perfect fit for BHA and Potterball. I'd hope we were more interested in offering him a contract extension, rather than selling him to Newcastle.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
We could go on a run that emulates the points per game of some of the worst Premier League teams of the last 10 years, and we'd still get 8-10 points in our remaining 16 fixtures. I think we're slightly better than that, even without Dan Burn available as our 3rd/4th choice centre back.

You have just outed yourself as not a long term Brighton supported with that level of non-pessimism. :lolol:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
This is probably closest to the actual position

[tweet]1487005058550181894[/tweet]

Newcastle are also supposedly in discussion with other clubs involving other centre backs. If one of those comes to fruition then they almost certainly will cease their interest in Dan Burn.

In short he is far from being their only option.

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
If Dan doesn't care one way or another (apart from massive salary increase) then I still say 20m or **** right off.
I guess he needs to consider also that he's probably being bought in for half a season to avoid relegation and then likely to be upgraded in the summer and possibly moved on again.
If it's just about money then fine but he gets a lot of game time with us that is likely to continue for 1 or 2 more seasons.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Replacing BDB will need 2 players not in height but as adaptability, Burn under Potter has discovered he's highly adaptable and perfectly comfortable playing in any formation Potter plays him.

Potter loves Burns willing to adapt and learn and so do I, he was outplayed by 1 possibly 2 players since I've been watching him here and one of those is wanted by Barcelona so Burn has done very well and I'd hate it if he left for anyone let alone that skunky club.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
You have just outed yourself as not a long term Brighton supported with that level of non-pessimism. :lolol:

Believe me, I'm as pessimistic as anyone still nervously checking my watch as we enter the first of 4 mins injury time when 2-0 up. It's just that I work with stats and probability everyday at work and use this to rationalise. The 500-1 that you can get on us being relegated supports this, and that price is probably still firmly on the side of the bookies.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Believe me, I'm as pessimistic as anyone still nervously checking my watch as we enter the first of 4 mins injury time when 2-0 up. It's just that I work with stats and probability everyday at work and use this to rationalise. The 500-1 that you can get on us being relegated supports this, and that price is probably still firmly on the side of the bookies.

You're not pessimistic very often then!
My level of pessimism in the first minute of injury time is thinking we might not get the equaliser before the 95th minute.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The ideal, for me, would be BDB signing a new contract with the Albion on Monday

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Replacing BDB will need 2 players not in height but as adaptability, Burn under Potter has discovered he's highly adaptable and perfectly comfortable playing in any formation Potter plays him.

Potter loves Burns willing to adapt and learn and so do I, he was outplayed by 1 possibly 2 players since I've been watching him here and one of those is wanted by Barcelona so Burn has done very well and I'd hate it if he left for anyone let alone that skunky club.

Only ever outplayed when out of position .
At CB he's been outstanding

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Right now I'd have a higher price tab on BDB than Dunk, just as good at one job, a lot more versatile and a left foot.

£3m per foot. not a penny less.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here