Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Burn to Saudi FC

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It’s not - thanks to Mike Ashley tight financial control they have about £100M to spend this window and can stay within FFP

You’re right about the Ashley effect, but it’s £190m.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/01/27/reality-newcastle-tax-dawning-time-running-stand-firm-transfer/
£200m is mentioned on various news outlets.

It’s also mentioned that they’re looking to cap spending on fees at £50m in this window, then spend massively this summer.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
FFP is done over a 3 year rolling period. A legacy of Mike Ashley running the club at a small profit most years is that they have a huge scope for spending.

Small.profit and 12th (ish) every season - what a ****.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
It’s not - thanks to Mike Ashley tight financial control they have about £100M to spend this window and can stay within FFP

They obviously don't like spending the cash on 'temporary' players, otherwise they'd be splashing the cash all over the place. Probably realise there's a Saudi Tax on players they are enquiring about.

They have failed to realise that they don't hold all the cards in this game and will have to pay what the seller wants unlike their petro game where they hold a lot of the cards and feck us over with fuel prices.

I've done work on a couple of 'holiday' houses for mega rich Arabs and both had very strange sense of money. They splashed hundreds of thousands on ridiculous things (£50k on a tree house climbing thingy for their one son when they visited 2 weeks a year) M, state of the art TVs in literally every room, all wired in with hidden cables etc.. and yet whinged over spending a few quid on sorting out on basic maintenance because it wasn't glitzy.

Hope no-one capitulates and they are held to ransom for their mega bucks.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
18 months is basically the end of next season :shrug:

Exactly. We have zero need or want to sell. So the Beheaders spunk an enormous sum or **** off back to their evil HQ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
So the same contract expiry date as Bissouma’s?

I recently mentioned that same temporal effect on Bissouma’s valuation, but it was dismissed as having no effect whatsoever, too far away.

Is there a formula here?

Work out the value of the player with a 5 year contract (Burn £25), then divide by the amount of time left on their contract.

This makes Burn worth £7.5m which about what Newcastle bid I suspect.

Edit - Biss’ value is £19.5m based on £65m with a 5 year contract.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Is there a formula here?

Work out the value of the player with a 5 year contract (Burn £25), then divide by the amount of time left on their contract.

That's basically how a club does it from an accounting point of view with player amortisation when valuing them in their accounts.

You'll get a club sign a player for 20m on a 5 year deal. They might sell the same player for 10m 4 years later. From the outside it looks like a loss, however its actually seen as a gain in the accounts as they have sold am asset for more than it is valued after 4 years of amortisation.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Is there a formula here?

Of course, that assumes willing buyer and willing seller (and willing player). If BDB is "worth" more to us than the formula suggests (form, understanding the system, versatility, continuity, good egg in the changing room, difficulty to replace etc) then the formula fails.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I suspect Newcastle will up their offer to £11 or £12 m for Burn & he will want to go for family reasons & financial ones . Hope I’m wrong but I think it is more likely than not - Unless they have another centre half identified . At 12M they would actually be paying a premium given he’s in his last 18 months of contract .

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Is there a formula here?

The thing is, the 'actual value' of the player, if there is such a thing, is largely irrelevant.

If, for example we 'value' a player at £20m, that doesn't mean we need to sell, want to sell, or are prepared to sell him at that price.
In an instance where we have no particular wish, or necessity, to sell, then clearly a suitor would need to make an offer well ABOVE the player's 'value' for it to be worth our while.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
As Newcastle, if they stay up, will be a club we hope to be competing with for a top half position, perhaps the question is whether the money from Burn will allow us to improve our team more than the transfer strengthens theirs.

If not, why bother helping them out.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Has he left yet?

Dunk&Disorderly

Mar 29, 2019
Brighton
Opportunity to sell at the peak of Burn's value and let Roberts have a go? Notice he hasn't gone on loan as was reported at the start of the window.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Doesn’t seem to make much sense to me to sell.

Too many variables around this season to leave yourself short in defensive positions.

If they really want him he can move in the summer, which I suggest won’t be the case and if that’s so he is better off staying here anyway.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Opportunity to sell at the peak of Burn's value and let Roberts have a go? Notice he hasn't gone on loan as was reported at the start of the window.

If we had 6 more points, I would be happy with that. I know it would take a massive capitulation to go down but it would be nice to reach 36 points before experimenting.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
If we had 6 more points, I would be happy with that. I know it would take a massive capitulation to go down but it would be nice to reach 36 points before experimenting.

Yeah I dont think it will have substantial impact on Roberts situation. He'll still probably be behind Webster, Dunk, Duffy and Veltman and if the team keeps going with two CBs for most of the games, Roberts would be quite far from the starting eleven.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Yeah I dont think it will have substantial impact on Roberts situation. He'll still probably be behind Webster, Dunk, Duffy and Veltman and if the team keeps going with two CBs for most of the games, Roberts would be quite far from the starting eleven.

Given that recently Dunk, Veltman & Webster have all been unavailable due to injuries, and that we often play a back 3 / 5, AND Potter tends to change the line up depending upon who we're playing, I'd suggest he'd get plenty of game time as our 5th CB.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Given that recently Dunk, Veltman & Webster have all been unavailable due to injuries, and that we often play a back 3 / 5, AND Potter tends to change the line up depending upon who we're playing, I'd suggest he'd get plenty of game time as our 5th CB.

That's the one thing that unnerves me, injuries and suspensions. As recently as post-Christmas we've had a back 2 of Burn and Veltman (who were excellent incidentally) but Dunk is returning from a decent time out and a swift step back to top fitness is unlikely and Webster does sadly tend to pick up more than the occasional muscle injury.

I guess it comes down to how confident our medical team is that Dunk is close to a proper return at the level we'll need him.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Maybe. GP needs to think he is ready for it as well, or he will opt not to play that back 3 or go with someone like Moder or Bissouma playing there.

My guess is that regardless what happens with BDB, Roberts goes on loan.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here