Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dailey mirror today Ashley barns to Bristol city

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
You like claiming that Poyet chose Wood over Barnes. It always seemed a bit strange to me, as they seemed to be rotated fairly evenly. My memory is not that great though, so I thought I'd see if it was true by having a look at the team sheets for the latter part of the season.

You posted your thread about Barnes after the 1-0 away defeat to Bournemouth in January. I thought I'd have a look at the games played from the following match(at home to Colchester) until the end of the season. Turns out Wood started 15 games and was a sub a further 6 times. Barnes started 14 and was sub 5 times. Wood missed one game(international match) in the run in, and Barnes missed three(injury).
I know you don't like stats, but...

Glad someone found the stats to back it up. Cheers. Barnes wasn't backup last season and that proves it.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
You like claiming that Poyet chose Wood over Barnes. It always seemed a bit strange to me, as they seemed to be rotated fairly evenly. My memory is not that great though, so I thought I'd see if it was true by having a look at the team sheets for the latter part of the season.

You posted your thread about Barnes after the 1-0 away defeat to Bournemouth in January. I thought I'd have a look at the games played from the following match(at home to Colchester) until the end of the season. Turns out Wood started 15 games and was a sub a further 6 times. Barnes started 14 and was sub 5 times. Wood missed one game(international match) in the run in, and Barnes missed three(injury).
I know you don't like stats, but...

Thank you for that... that was my point, but backed-up by your excellent research and hard facts... Gus rotated his strikers, as I claimed earlier after Burns's rant; he did NOT chose Wood over Barnes...

Eagle_83

Premier League visitor
Jun 8, 2011
The manager/chairman didn't rate him v highly. If they did, they wouldn't have let his contract run down, and would have paid him the extra he wanted.

We clearly have the money - but we're spending it on new players. That should tell you all you need to know.

Murray is a Brighton reject. End of.

Keep kidding yourself this. Poyet wanted to keep him but only on a 2 year deal. We offered 3. 22 goals and one of your top players, hardly a reject...

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Keep kidding yourself this. Poyet wanted to keep him but only on a 2 year deal. We offered 3. 22 goals and one of your top players, hardly a reject...

I'll bet Murray will get a lukewarm reception from you lot on his first run out in the glorious red and blue stripes, and in spite of all the bluster, underneath it all I'm sure most of you are concerned about whether he is capable of cutting it in the Championship.

Eagle_83

Premier League visitor
Jun 8, 2011
I'll bet Murray will get a lukewarm reception from you lot on his first run out in the glorious red and blue stripes, and in spite of all the bluster, underneath it all I'm sure most of you are concerned about whether he is capable of cutting it in the Championship.

I think he'll get a hero's welcome to be honest, he's given us all a great laugh and it's pi**ed on your parade.

Funny how 6 months ago he was the best thing since sliced bread...

Anyone here still doubting Glenn Murray's worth?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I think he'll get a hero's welcome to be honest, he's given us all a great laugh and it's pi**ed on your parade.

Had Gus wanted to keep him I am sure we would have. I heard you were after Hoskins - and only turned your attention to Murray once it was confirmed he was coming here. Who knows. Anyway - Murray is a quality leader of the line. At League One level he also scored goals. However I think I could have scored 10 goals with the service he got. At this level - he is unproven. And he does look a lazy arse - so if it does not start well it could all go pear-shaped pretty quickly.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
The way people are talking about Murray is embarrassing and cringeworthy. Obviously you don't expect the red carpet to be rolled out after he leaves for our greatest rivals (with both clubs seemingly heading in opposite directions as well) but some of you have very stunted memories. He was absolutely KEY to us last season and to be honest, whilst I am very happy we have signed Hoskins, for me he is not as good a player as Murray. He will be sorely missed.

If Bristol C really are sniffing after Barnes, we must do everything we can to keep him at the club. As a club, they aren't even necessarily a better proposition than us anymore. Anyway we need to recruit strikers, not sell them.

Eagle_83

Premier League visitor
Jun 8, 2011
Had Gus wanted to keep him I am sure we would have. I heard you were after Hoskins - and only turned your attention to Murray once it was confirmed he was coming here. Who knows. Anyway - Murray is a quality leader of the line. At League One level he also scored goals. However I think I could have scored 10 goals with the service he got. At this level - he is unproven. And he does look a lazy arse - so if it does not start well it could all go pear-shaped pretty quickly.

Fair enough post apart from the Hoskins comment. I think it was was the other way round, we were sligtly interested in Hoskins but turned out attention to Murray when we knew we had a chance of getting him.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland

And why do you think we wouldn't offer a 3-year deal and a bit more money? (At the same time we were spending £1m+ elsewhere).

Because Poyet didn't think he was worth it. Albion REJECTED him. You picked him up.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
We may not need to sell him, but its possible that Lord Gus wants to sell him.

Even though he got 20 goals, he's obviosuly not Lord Gus' favourite player. He played 2nd fiddle to Wood, a loanee, and if Poyer thought that highly of him, surely Barnes would have played with Murray, and Wood would have warmed the bench, but no, Poyet rather played another teams striker than his own. Suggests he's not an Ashley fan. Maybe Poyet is one of the few who can see beyond the "20 goals" headline. Seems to be the case if this is true. I think Poyet should get one of those NSC knighthoods people were talking about on Friday:)

I know you don't like statistics that disprove your point but here goes.

Woods signed on the 19th November: Played 24 (7) Goals 9

Barnes after 19th November: Played 20 (10) Goals 9

Four less starts = Second fiddle? One less appearance in total = second fiddle?

Eagle_83

Premier League visitor
Jun 8, 2011
And why do you think we wouldn't offer a 3-year deal and a bit more money? (At the same time we were spending £1m+ elsewhere).

Because Poyet didn't think he was worth it. Albion REJECTED him. You picked him up.

Your in denial. Gus still wanted him for 2 years. If he didn't he wouldn't of offered a contract.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

Funny how 6 months ago he was the best thing since sliced bread...

Anyone here still doubting Glenn Murray's worth?

Murray will be missed, anyone who scores 22 goals is going to be missed. However, I don't believe he had any intention of staying and I strongly suspect the feeling was mutual. Gus certainly didn't give the impression that he was desperate for Murray to stay.
My only surprise was that he went to you, let's face it, he will need the service and you lot are pretty much in the sh$t, scummers, derby etc I could understand. If you get off to a bad start Murray will be the Sulk of the Championship.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You offered to double his wages.

Palace are paying £8k per week. A £1k difference.

...you paid him a signing on fee which we weren't prepared to do.

Look, nomatter how you look at it, Palace were prepared to pay Murray more money than we were. Not more than we could afford, but more than we were prepared to pay. And, after the last few years, we know Mr Murray a lot better than you do.

All that said, he's a very good player, no question about it.

Eagle_83

Premier League visitor
Jun 8, 2011
Yeah, two years. Modest wages. Not worth breaking the bank for.

Your English is pretty poor, btw. Corrected errors for you.

Attacking someone's grammar, the first sign that there losing an argument. :wanker:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
You offered to double his wages.

Palace are paying £8k per week. A £1k difference.

For an extra year than we were willing to do with a huge signing fee lumped in

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here