Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Yes it is. I hadn't heard of it either, until last week. I must admit cycling to work isn't something that I have done regularly before since I was a teenager, but its something I am starting to ease myself into on an (ill fitting) bike that I borrowed from my brother.

Its quite good fun, actually.

Get yourself a proper bike, fitted for you, and you will like it all the more. Riding to work is often my favourite part of the day, though it helps living on top of a hill. The ride home not always so good.

If you really get in to it you should have a look at the cycle to work scheme. Through that you can get a bike tax free and pay in installments from your wages. I think roughly it works out at about 40% off the retail cost of a bicycle.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yes it is. I hadn't heard of it either, until last week. I must admit cycling to work isn't something that I have done regularly before since I was a teenager, but its something I am starting to ease myself into on an (ill fitting) bike that I borrowed from my brother.

It's a lot more than quite good fun!!

There is great joy to be had getting around under your own steam. Fresh air, exercise, freedom, nothing better to get you started in the morning, or out on a leisure ride at the weekend. As Pantani said, seriously think about getting yourself a decent bike. The B'Twin's are a great place to start and great value at £300...http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-3-red-road-bike-id_8274036.html

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

There is great joy to be had getting around under your own steam. Fresh air, exercise, freedom, nothing better to get you started in the morning, or out on a leisure ride at the weekend. As Pantani said, seriously think about getting yourself a decent bike. The B'Twin's are a great place to start and great value at £300...http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-3-red-road-bike-id_8274036.html

That is a bargain. Much better than most of the £300 road bikes I have seen, carbon fork for one. Which reminds me I really must finish the refurb on my £240 Giant, I will end up riding my best bike for the commute through the winter otherwise, and it does not fit mud guards!

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley

Thanks, that is exactly what I am going to purchase if I can keep up cycling for a couple of months. I don't want to buy something for it to sit in the garage gathering dust.

Also, I've booked myself onto a basic bike maintenance course - no point cycling if you cannot fix it when something goes wrong.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Lets not forget the traffic.

After a job change I needed to be 8 miles along the coast to East Worthing, for about 9.
On a good day it would take 40 mins, on a wet Monday an hour and a half.

I borrowed a mates bike and it took 25 miles.

I then began to play 'what's the value of the cars I'm over taking, on my free transport'.

What a gloriously self righteous game that is :lolol:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Wish I was off work today, this stage is gonna be a good one. The final climb is savage:

View attachment 46910

Fantasy wise, I am a bit disappointed I cannot get Edet in to my team as I fancy him for some mountain points today. Gone for the top 5 GC wise and some lesser lights hoping for a break same as everyone I expect.

Bet wise I've gone for Rodriguez 5-2, Pozzo 25-1 e/w and Pinot 33-1 e/w. Think Rodriguez is nailed on for this one and fancy Pinot and Pozzo to have a pop after losing time yesterday.

:goal: :banana: :clap: Have a guess who booked today and tomorrow off?

I hadn't heard of the cycle to work day either. I cycle the short distance to work most days on the alternate weeks I don't have to use the company car. I've been trying to get others at work to cycle or walk too as all but one live within 3 miles of work, but only converted one so far, and that was to walking not cycling.

Looking forward to a 3 to 4 hour spin in glorious East Sussex countryside today. Conditions are perfect! - overcast, no wind, no rain. God willing, back in time to settle down for live coverage of today's stage, where if all goes to plan Purito takes the win :) No bets on to lose either. Perfect.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Also, I've booked myself onto a basic bike maintenance course - no point cycling if you cannot fix it when something goes wrong.
That's what we're here for, well youtube to be more precise.
You'll be discussing bar tape before you know it.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
As for the ability of a road bike, my beautiful Bianchi had to endure this this week as the road disappeared as I approached Telcombe and thought I could link to the sea front road. I ended up riding her across a field of sheep as well!!!

Bikeonrough.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'll be settling into the sofa for 3pm, asleep by 3:15, and awake again by 4, happy days.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Thanks, that is exactly what I am going to purchase if I can keep up cycling for a couple of months. I don't want to buy something for it to sit in the garage gathering dust.

Something along these lines should be a mantra of this thread.....

Get a road bike, the best you can afford. We promise you will not regret it and will never look back.

It's rung true for several of us on here so far, and I wouldn't mind betting it'll ring true for more to come yet.

Good luck.

P.S. Some great bike maintenance tutorials on youtube too in case you ever get stuck.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
That is a bargain. Much better than most of the £300 road bikes I have seen, carbon fork for one. Which reminds me I really must finish the refurb on my £240 Giant, I will end up riding my best bike for the commute through the winter otherwise, and it does not fit mud guards!

Talking of refurbs I noticed there was a retro bike category at The Brighton Big Dog @ Stamner Park (fun part of that particular day before watching the Derby loss). Saw some fine old hardtails being thrashed about - late 80s Clockwork Oranges and the like. Inspired me to search for my ancient GT Outpost Trail which I located in the old man's garage...if anyone wants to make me an offer for a retro refurb project PM me (one not very careful owner purchased from Sydney St bikes 1994, in the yellow, lots of original features that should probably have been replaced by now i.e. grips/saddle).

Nowadays I hack round the back streets of Abu Dhabi early every morning on my Scott Aspect 10. Got some slicks on and still go quite quick.Did think about a road bike but the mountain bike's riding position is better as you need to be aware of the f**king terrible driving over here. One of the top Dubai Triathletes died out on a training ride last Friday http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-...ing-hit-by-drunk-driver-near-dubais-safa-park

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Managed to get out of work early, so I'm watching. Unfortunately through an illegal stream though. As yet again the Eurosport website is not working. They really are a complete shambles.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Cool, we have had a 'huddle round NSC' stage for a while.
I shall try and stay awake.

I take it you've gone through sports-livez & wiziwig.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Glad I gave up on the shambles that is Eurosport player subscription. Steephill it's been for me all season and so far so good.

The beast Vasil Kiryienka dictating the pace of the break so far I see. And yet again I've missed the Txurukka train (although I couldn't afford him anyway) and got on the wrong CJR rider(s) instead.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Sorted it, reinstalled Silverlight video player.

Come on Kiriyenka, love to see him make it after all the work he has done this year for others.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Glad I gave up on the shambles that is Eurosport player subscription. Steephill it's been for me all season and so far so good.

The beast Vasil Kiryienka dictating the pace of the break so far I see. And yet again I've missed the Txurukka train (although I couldn't afford him anyway) and got on the wrong CJR rider(s) instead.

I've stuck with Arroyo throughout, he has picked up a reasonable amount of points. I really wanted Edet or Txurruka today but couldn't afford them either. I'm amazed Edet hasn't gone out there to try and secure the Mountains Jersey.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I've stuck with Arroyo throughout, he has picked up a reasonable amount of points. I really wanted Edet or Txurruka today but couldn't afford them either. I'm amazed Edet hasn't gone out there to try and secure the Mountains Jersey.

I have Edet & Arroyo in today. Edet really suffering today though.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Looking pretty good for the break to stay away again. Never seen a GT where the break succeeds as often as on this Vuelta.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here