Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Chris Horner is riding a major tour against some of the best young riders like its a Sunday club run, how come he wasn't the Merckx of his generation.

Todays stage just makes me want two TDF a year.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
FDJ - strokes chin knowingly.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It's a funny one as several of us were right up there for the Giro but we can't seem to pick this one.

I can't pick the right rider for toffee here. Always missing the boat or outing riders too early. My Marczynski pre race KoM bet bit the dust today as well, although it was already dead in the water after yesterday to be fair. Good racing again today though.

Chris Horner is riding a major tour against some of the best young riders like its a Sunday club run, how come he wasn't the Merckx of his generation.

Todays stage just makes me want two TDF a year.

Probably best I say nothing on the first bit.

Second bit......I bet you wish you was there today. You could have picked your spot and brought all of NSC along with still room to spare. Very disappointing crowds, and it looked lovely up there as well.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Just watched the highlights. Well, not making those transfers did not cost me much, Landa 24th, Valls Ferri 47th :lolol:

Looked like it never really got going today, all those pretend attacks on the final climb seemed a bit pointless. Three breakaway wins in three days, should be really exciting but the last two days have been a bit weird, there just has been no jeopardy. Carlton Kirby was obviously still talking up the possibility of them (Ratto and Geniez) being caught, when they had more minutes lead than kms to go but there really was no way either were not going to hang on. Maybe that is what is bothering me. Which of course is a shame, both Ratto and Geniez have achieved remarkable wins in the last two days, yet it all feels slightly underwhelming.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I can see the breakaways coming to an end tomorrow. Short stage, rest day to follow, plenty of life left in GC, so hopefully some action.

I thought Saxo rode well for Roche today. Perhaps they can pull a 2nd rate version of Fuente dé out of the bag for Roche tomorrow to at least get him onto the podium. Not likely, but I can dream I suppose.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just watched the highlights. Well, not making those transfers did not cost me much, Landa 24th, Valls Ferri 47th :lolol:

Looked like it never really got going today, all those pretend attacks on the final climb seemed a bit pointless. Three breakaway wins in three days, should be really exciting but the last two days have been a bit weird, there just has been no jeopardy. Carlton Kirby was obviously still talking up the possibility of them (Ratto and Geniez) being caught, when they had more minutes lead than kms to go but there really was no way either were not going to hang on. Maybe that is what is bothering me. Which of course is a shame, both Ratto and Geniez have achieved remarkable wins in the last two days, yet it all feels slightly underwhelming.
The parcours isn't helping.

Without studying I thought I'd just carry Cancellara and Flecha for when the road calms down about.
It turns out it won't.

Ratto and Geniez, aren't going to feature 2 days running.
Nobody from GC is going to Moreno it, as they will get hammered the next day.

We're just going to get this status quo until the penultimate stage, with breakaways winning in between.

Not exactly a thrilling final week.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Yeah, been an odd one last couple of days - it seems to have run out of steam. Maybe it was too hard to soon and should have been built up for a last week showdown? Towards the end of the season, everyones tired etc etc.

Hopefully next years TDF will have a big showdown between Froome and Nibali with Contador in there to shake things up. Throw in the columbians after stage wins and the KOM jersey and you've got the making of a great race..

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Antone watching today? Huge break up the road, just one rider in there for me. Quite fancy Uran to win from this group.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Nice to see Euskaltel sticking it to the peloton. It is not often you see them on the front driving the pace.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Antone watching today? Huge break up the road, just one rider in there for me. Quite fancy Uran to win from this group.

I've got it on. Break has just kept on growing. Did you see the crash involving the guy who stopped for a slash getting hit by the rider not watching where he was going...doh.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I've got it on. Break has just kept on growing. Did you see the crash involving the guy who stopped for a slash getting hit by the rider not watching where he was going...doh.

Yep, I like the way he looked at the guy on the floor, then just carried on with what he was doing. For a minute it looked like he was going to pee on him.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just like I said, this morning :facepalm:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
How close was that finish? Uran blew it I thought, when he caught Barguil he had to keep going, attack him before the finishing sprint. Not let him hang on like that. This Barguil looks like he might be the real deal though, be interesting to see how he does next year.

Bit worried that Horner is going to win this now, Nibali did not have it in his legs today.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
4,17,18 and 20 for me today. Just the one in the break.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
How close was that finish? Uran blew it I thought, when he caught Barguil he had to keep going, attack him before the finishing sprint. Not let him hang on like that. This Barguil looks like he might be the real deal though, be interesting to see how he does next year.

Bit worried that Horner is going to win this now, Nibali did not have it in his legs today.

It's those instant decisions isn't it, a split second between winning and losing. Uran was close*, but was forced into his sprint rather than dictating it.

Looks like Horner has made 20 odd seconds on Nibali!

*flippin' close at that!!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Uran seemed fraught with indecision all the way up.
I don't think he had the legs to see it through, but nevertheless he still should have got the win.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That should be long after Phil and Paul have stepped aside.

[tweet]377078076628152323[/tweet]

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Uran seemed fraught with indecision all the way up.
I don't think he had the legs to see it through, but nevertheless he still should have got the win.

I was able to watch today's stage and....exactly this ^.

Was very pleased to see Barguil hang in and nick it on the line. He's been looking promising for a while now, if anyone can remember Paris Nice and CDD earlier this season. Was hanging with the GC boys here too in the first week or so until he had that crash. I hope he is the next big French GC hope. They need one and cycling's better with good French riders competing I reckon. Hopefully the French could well be entering a bit of a golden period in the next few years.

I was surprised by Nibali today. Had the GC started the action a bit further out today then he probably would have lost even more time. What a waste of space AVV is though - at one point today Movistar had 4 riders in one of the numerous breaks!, and yet again they made nothing of it. I really hope he somehow ends up not making the podium.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
That should be long after Phil and Paul have stepped aside.

[tweet]377078076628152323[/tweet]

That's bloody excellent news! (the tweet about coverage I mean), assuming it's live or even highlights show on the same day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here