Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Poxy Eurospurt showing tennis when the Vuelta was listed. What a ride though when it came on! Stuff that descending. How do you find out our placings in the league overall, i.e. not just this event?

Bit nippy this morning. Might account for fewer riders out. Lost some time which is a pisser.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Poxy Eurospurt showing tennis when the Vuelta was listed. What a ride though when it came on! Stuff that descending. How do you find out our placings in the league overall, i.e. not just this event?

Bit nippy this morning. Might account for fewer riders out. Lost some time which is a pisser.

Not their fault, apparently. Weather interfered with pictures.

When you go to the 'my team' tab you'll see leagues on the right. Just above nsc league it says 'competition: this overall'.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Weather grounded the helicopters and so live coverage of the highest pass in the Pyrenees, Port de Erivalira, was not available.

What a top top ride by Ratto :clap2: Gotta love his one foot down descending 'skills' too :lol:

Gilbert showing some amazing form in time for the Worlds, and I can't see the parcours giving him too much trouble if he's able to climb like this. Feel sorry for Lulu Sanchez going down and abandoning, but hypothermia apparently for him and Basso seems a bit extreme.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I liked it when the commentary explained that it was down to '9 or 10 degrees in places! That's balmy compared to the Giro!

Quite.

Better yet when the Eurosport commentator, can't tell who's who as they all seem useless to me, said something along the lines of..." and if you think that [hypothermia] sounds unreasonable, know that your air conditioning won't alllow you to go down to 9 degrees as it's DANGEROUS"

To be fair, descending in that couldn't have been fun and I did read that it was only 5 degrees at the top of that HC climb, but if ever there was a need for a classic Sean Kelly pause, long intake of breath followed by a...."well I'm not so sure about that"....then that was the moment right there.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I wonder if Valverde getting dropped by the GC group today really was because of them taking advantage of him having a natural break? If true, then he must be a really unpopular rider in the peloton as this isn't the first time he's been stitched up by something out of his control. Not that many fans will lose any sleep over that. Fair play to him for riding himself back on though.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Quite.

Better yet when the Eurosport commentator, can't tell who's who as they all seem useless to me, said something along the lines of..." and if you think that [hypothermia] sounds unreasonable, know that your air conditioning won't alllow you to go down to 9 degrees as it's DANGEROUS"

To be fair, descending in that couldn't have been fun and I did read that it was only 5 degrees at the top of that HC climb, but if ever there was a need for a classic Sean Kelly pause, long intake of breath followed by a...."well I'm not so sure about that"....then that was the moment right there.

If only there was a car that could bring them more clothes when they got a chill. Maybe have one or two cars per 9 riders or something!

It's those weird Italians, leg warmers in 40 degrees then shorts on this stage!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
If only there was a car that could bring them more clothes when they got a chill. Maybe have one or two cars per 9 riders or something!

That's sounds like quite a good idea. Maybe even the sponsors could pay for a never ending supply of appropriate clothing too so the riders don't have to fork out for it out of their own pocket. Better still, following the system of things in this world, perhaps the workers on a team could sacrifice their chances of success and work twice as hard to go back to these cars to retrieve said clothing and bring it up to their team leader/s so the top riders don't even have to expend any energy being appropriately dressed?

Nah, proposterous idea. It'll never catch on.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Fantasy Cycling just stitched me up, I had twenty minutes to pick my team, deadline 11:00 today. Suddenly the site has reset itself and I have 1 day to make tomorrows transfers! Not happy as I have two greyed out riders, how am I gonna maintain my top 10 position otherwise :down:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Fantasy Cycling just stitched me up, I had twenty minutes to pick my team, deadline 11:00 today. Suddenly the site has reset itself and I have 1 day to make tomorrows transfers! Not happy as I have two greyed out riders, how am I gonna maintain my top 10 position otherwise :down:

Basso and Luis Leon? Brave man, though, leaving it that late (or foolhardy as it turned out!)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If it's any help all of Team Stat are riding, as I made my 1 change last night.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
So if Mikel Landa and Rafael Valls Ferri do the business today I'm gonna at least try and take some credit.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Basso and Luis Leon? Brave man, though, leaving it that late (or foolhardy as it turned out!)

I work Saturday nights, do not finish until 2 am. As much as I like this game I'm not going to set myself an alarm just so I can make my transfers. LL and Zubeldia are my greyed out riders, I wouldn't pick Basso in a million years, he always quits the races now (he is the Italian Andy Schleck).

MediGull

Nov 14, 2011
Brighton

Same thing happened to me, although I only have Basso greyed out, at least i'm not trying to maintain a great position overall!

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Same thing happened to me, although I only have Basso greyed out, at least i'm not trying to maintain a great position overall!

:lolol: I meant top 10 in the NSC league, I am actually doing dreadfully in this Vuelta, just trying to avoid the ignominy of finishing below Stat Brother. :ohmy:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I work Saturday nights, do not finish until 2 am. As much as I like this game I'm not going to set myself an alarm just so I can make my transfers. LL and Zubeldia are my greyed out riders, I wouldn't pick Basso in a million years, he always quits the races now (he is the Italian Andy Schleck).

He's nabbed me a few points in this Vuelta! But yeah, can't argue with your point about alarms etc. With me, this year, it's been all about whether I remember to make my transfers. On one or two occasions I've benefited by forgetting.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I've also had a poor Vuelta. One of those Tours were every breakaway rider I pick only gets in breaks on days when I don't have him in. Edet doing the business today just as I lose patience and take him out. Cardoso also doing the business when I opt for Arroyo when deciding between the two. Txurruka is another one when you just have to hope you pick the right days. Luck seems to go all with you or all against you in this game, as last years Vuelta proves when no matter what I did I got lucky. That's not to take anything away from Pogue Mahone though who is storming the Vuelta this year, despite getting really unlucky on Lulu yesterday.

I see Gilbert has abandoned today. Probably with a smile on his face knowing his preparations for the Worlds have gone superbly so far.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
:lolol: I meant top 10 in the NSC league, I am actually doing dreadfully in this Vuelta, just trying to avoid the ignominy of finishing below Stat Brother. :ohmy:
Oi, I heard that.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I've also had a poor Vuelta. One of those Tours were every breakaway rider I pick only gets in breaks on days when I don't have him in. Edet doing the business today just as I lose patience and take him out. Cardoso also doing the business when I opt for Arroyo when deciding between the two. Txurruka is another one when you just have to hope you pick the right days. Luck seems to go all with you or all against you in this game, as last years Vuelta proves when no matter what I did I got lucky. That's not to take anything away from Pogue Mahone though who is storming the Vuelta this year, despite getting really unlucky on Lulu yesterday.

I see Gilbert has abandoned today. Probably with a smile on his face knowing his preparations for the Worlds have gone superbly so far.

It's a funny one as several of us were right up there for the Giro but we can't seem to pick this one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here