Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Loving this event.

But. Seeing as how there is so much technology, why can't we have more live info on screen. It'd be great if the camera bikes at least had speed and gradient detail. We even get stroke rate during the boat race for Cliff's sake.

Nice stage score for you today again I see. Well played.

Pogue Mahone is going to take some beating now I reckon, he's flying off the front! Playing a blinder.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Cracking tough tough racing today, but that's not the main news.

It turns out if you do have a few spare million, Euskaltel is what to spend it on:-

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/f1-star-fernando-alonso-to-take-over-euskaltel

As vanity projects go, I whole heartedly approve of this one, well done 'nando.

Loving the support vehicle :lolol:

View attachment 46704

I see the article says Alonso is a friend and training partner of Sammy Sanchez too. I don't get motorsport myself, but always heard that F1 drivers actually have to be pretty fit as it can apparently be punishing. Alonso obviously no slouch on a bike then.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Loving this event.

But. Seeing as how there is so much technology, why can't we have more live info on screen. It'd be great if the camera bikes at least had speed and gradient detail. We even get stroke rate during the boat race for Cliff's sake.
I don't think you'll have long to wait.
I know Garmin are very keen to tech up the bikes and riders.

I see the article says Alonso is a friend and training partner of Sammy Sanchez too. I don't get motorsport myself, but always heard that F1 drivers actually have to be pretty fit as it can apparently be punishing. Alonso obviously no slouch on a bike then.
I think it's the fall out of the cyclists and F1 drivers all living in Monaco.
Plenty of drivers go out for rides with the pro's, I know Button and Coultard are keen.
Plus Mansell setting up UK Youth (I think).
If the Brits get it, I'm sure the continental European drivers are all over the cyclists.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Motorsportists are fitter than you think. Most 2-wheelers do stacks of road training.

Thanks 10.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I think it's the fall out of the cyclists and F1 drivers all living in Monaco.
Plenty of drivers go out for rides with the pro's, I know Button and Coultard are keen.
Plus Mansell setting up UK Youth (I think).
If the Brits get it, I'm sure the continental European drivers are all over the cyclists.[/QUOTE]

Good shout, I'd forgotten about that. I think I once saw him on The Cycle Show talking about that?

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Horner taking a battering on twitter and the velocast, lots of things not adding up, hope he is not on some new Bio DNA undetectable La Bomba, I have not seen the highlights yet so will wait to see how he rides away from a young pack and a pursuing Nibali, on a mental climb, hmmmm.

Love the fact Euskaltel-Euskadi may survive in a similar format and not be purchased by mr crazy Tinkoff. Hope they keep the orange and hordes of mad cycling fans and their tins of orange paint.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Horner taking a battering on twitter and the velocast, lots of things not adding up, hope he is not on some new Bio DNA undetectable La Bomba, I have not seen the highlights yet so will wait to see how he rides away from a young pack and a pursuing Nibali, on a mental climb, hmmmm.

Love the fact Euskaltel-Euskadi may survive in a similar format and not be purchased by mr crazy Tinkoff. Hope they keep the orange and hordes of mad cycling fans and their tins of orange paint.
He did make it look all rather easy, which is a shame, as the one thing that climb wasn't was easy.

I guess we can be charitable and say he kept his powder dry the day before.
Nibs is closing in on peaking for the Worlds.
Moreno over stretched the day before.
Roche, Pozz were yo-yoing off the back.
Purito, Pinot, Basso and AVV didn't attack once.
When Horner attacked, nobody followed.
Clearly from what then happened only Nibs had it in him, but I guess CH isn't a threat in a Grand Tour or The Worlds.

Even with all that charity, it's still a little fishy, but that's just the current climate of cycling/athletics/baseball.
One day it'll be the same for football, then we won't hear the end of it.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

All very dodgy.

Looks like tinkoff will stay with saxo if contactor goes to alonso's team!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Kangert 20/1 for today's stage. Seems decent to me if Canc and Tony Martin struggle on the incilnes. Pinotti also 20/1 but he'd be in the same boat as the other two I suppose. Shame my site wouldn't let me have an e/w bet for some reason or else I would have fancied a punt on Kangert.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Kangert 20/1 for today's stage. Seems decent to me if Canc and Tony Martin struggle on the incilnes. Pinotti also 20/1 but he'd be in the same boat as the other two I suppose. Shame my site wouldn't let me have an e/w bet for some reason or else I would have fancied a punt on Kangert.

Oops :blush: Kangert may have held back for forthcoming dom duties, but no excuses for Pinotti. Glad I didn't have any money riding on either.

Amazed by Pozzivivo's ride, pleased Horner looked credible and over the moon for Roche. The battle for the worlds ITT is going to be a good one too if todays showing is anything to go by.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The battle for the worlds ITT is going to be a good one too if todays showing is anything to go by.
It'll certainly be interesting to see how much BW wanted it, over the last couple of months.

If he's not 100% Martin and Fab have put down some massive markers to have Brad worried, if he didn't fully commit.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yeah but he'll be under a microscope for the next year, at least.

If it can't be proven then so be it, he'll either get popped again, have a poor season or he might even have been innocent :lol:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Well at least now I know why I love cycling so much.

Just discovered one of my ancestors was a fair cyclist back at the turn of the last century.

33elkph.jpg

A few more pics of him back in the day.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/99267693@N02/with/9674226129/

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Good to see NSC's finest getting aboard the noddy bus:-

[tweet]375438973570527234[/tweet]
[tweet]375440485772697600[/tweet]

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...