Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I see from this list http://www.oddschecker.com/cycling/vuelta-a-espana/vuelta-a-espana-stage-17/winner that a certain bookies is, at the time of posting, offering 150/1 on Nocentini for tomorrows stage. That seems like exceptional value to me.

WH aren't offering any odds on him strangely enough, but for once they've the best odds on a few I quite fancy for tomorrow. Held back though and just gone with a 50p e/w on Anthony Roux @ 80/1 (apologies to anyone who's put him in their fantasy team for now having put the kibosh on him).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I see from this list http://www.oddschecker.com/cycling/vuelta-a-espana/vuelta-a-espana-stage-17/winner that a certain bookies is, at the time of posting, offering 150/1 on Nocentini for tomorrows stage. That seems like exceptional value to me.

WH aren't offering any odds on him strangely enough, but for once they've the best odds on a few I quite fancy for tomorrow. Held back though and just gone with a 50p e/w on Anthony Roux @ 80/1 (apologies to anyone who's put him in their fantasy team for now having put the kibosh on him).
No, there's so few opportunities for the sprinters, even Farrar has more chance than Nocey.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I'm with 1066 on today's stage. It will be a small group sprint or solo breakaway over the last 10 km. There is a nasty little climb on narrow roads then a hairy technical descent. The sprinters teams are all depleted, 4 each at OPQS and Lotto, just 5 at Greenedge, Garmin and VCS. I fancy a Cancellara, EBH or Flecha type rider for this one, so Nocentini at 150-1 looks like value to me.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nocey is on 50/1 with Skybet along with Rensberg!!!
So there is an element on bookie beating.

EBH v Farrar fighting out not winning could be amusing :lol:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm with 1066 on today's stage. It will be a small group sprint or solo breakaway over the last 10 km. There is a nasty little climb on narrow roads then a hairy technical descent. The sprinters teams are all depleted, 4 each at OPQS and Lotto, just 5 at Greenedge, Garmin and VCS. I fancy a Cancellara, EBH or Flecha type rider for this one, so Nocentini at 150-1 looks like value to me.

That's exactly the finish I've based my team around today. So given my prediction record in this vuelta so far...mass bunch sprint it is then

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
That's exactly the finish I've based my team around today. So given my prediction record in this vuelta so far...mass bunch sprint it is then

I've gone for the strong men sprinters. EBH, Meersman and Matthews; was not sure it was worth the risk trying to guess who would breakaway. If I had gone the other way it would have been EBH, Cancellara and Flecha; we will see if I guessed correctly.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I had Luca wotsit from Katusha in Team Stat up until a few days ago, just saying!!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It would be very unprofessional of me to say:-

'ner ner neeer ner ner I was right, I was right'.

So I won't say, 'ner ner neeer ner ner I was right, I was right'.

Nobody likes the kind of person that says 'ner ner neeer ner ner I was right, I was right', I'm just glad I'm not so small minded I'd say things like 'ner ner neeer ner ner I was right, I was right'.

This has to be the last we see of out of contract Tyler Farrar.
Pan flat, dead straight, 1km and he and the others still let Mollema win.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
It would be very unprofessional of me to say:-

'ner ner neeer ner ner I was right, I was right'.

So I won't say, 'ner ner neeer ner ner I was right, I was right'.

Nobody likes the kind of person that says 'ner ner neeer ner ner I was right, I was right', I'm just glad I'm not so small minded I'd say things like 'ner ner neeer ner ner I was right, I was right'.

This has to be the last we see of out of contract Tyler Farrar.
Pan flat, dead straight, 1km and he and the others still let Mollema win.

Yep, SB you were definitely right. Sprinter Bauke Mollema did win the stage after all :dunce: :lolol:

Never mind Farrar, what the hell did Lampre do? They had Richeze up there and three more riders, so more than anyone else who would be going for the stage, and they let Ulissi charge off down the road in a completely doomed attack. Had Ulissi kept his powder dry for the run in he could have chased Mollema down, or set a pace too high for anyone to attack. They blew it massively in my opinion.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yep, SB you were definitely right. Sprinter Bauke Mollema did win the stage after all :dunce: :lolol:

Never mind Farrar, what the hell did Lampre do? They had Richeze up there and three more riders, so more than anyone else who would be going for the stage, and they let Ulissi charge off down the road in a completely doomed attack. Had Ulissi kept his powder dry for the run in he could have chased Mollema down, or set a pace too high for anyone to attack. They blew it massively in my opinion.
Hey it's not my fault all the sprinters are bobbins.

I was just mulling over 'how the hell could Lampre be so sh*te'.
No DS or armchair DS would call those tactics, it's not even the first time.
They've been pretty prominate all tour but seem to be riding blindfolded.
Is there a big prize for being the worst? and Cofidis won't give it up without a fight.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
There seems to be a jersey for everything else, so why not worst team.

Or how about a different colour car for the worst DS. Or even better a different car, maybe a three wheeler or something.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It was very odd 'team' riding.

Anyhoo I don't care I got my favourite 10 points today.
I thank you Arnaud Courteille, nothing makes me happier, and probably explains why I never win!!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm having none of it SB!

GC action (chapeau Saxo for Roche) caused the split and so my men -Flecha, Nocentini & Roux missed the cut or else I'm sure things would have been very different. And besides, where was Matthews and why didn't Richeze win? And what about Canc AND Mollema :p
Ok, fair enough, Lampre ballsed up big time as you and P said, and wonders will never cease with Farrar making the cut.

Honourable draw then I reckon.

What a great stage though. Would have loved to have been able to watch the live coverage as who doesn't love some good old echelon action splitting the race to smithereens :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Mathews was my only non scorer, its always gauling to get 8.

There's no way Mollema would have won if Cav, Andre, the other fella, or Sagan were riding.
As you said if Farrar can get there, anybody can.

It certainly made you appreciate how good the 'proper' sprinters are.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Anyone partake in cycle to work day today?

I would have, but am having a kitchen cabinet delivered to my work (somewhat large to take home on a bike!). Will cycle next week instead.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Anyone partake in cycle to work day today?

I would have, but am having a kitchen cabinet delivered to my work (somewhat large to take home on a bike!). Will cycle next week instead.

Oh is it a special thing today, had not heard of that. I shall be riding in shortly as I do everyday no matter what, including many post midnight rides home. It is a good idea though, trying to get more people to ride their bikes to work. Maybe they should move it to the summer though, nothing puts off the casual cyclist (and the non casual for that matter) as much as rain. As we have seen September is generally pretty wet.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Oh is it a special thing today, had not heard of that.

Yes it is. I hadn't heard of it either, until last week. I must admit cycling to work isn't something that I have done regularly before since I was a teenager, but its something I am starting to ease myself into on an (ill fitting) bike that I borrowed from my brother.

Its quite good fun, actually.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Wish I was off work today, this stage is gonna be a good one. The final climb is savage:

18_puerto.png

Fantasy wise, I am a bit disappointed I cannot get Edet in to my team as I fancy him for some mountain points today. Gone for the top 5 GC wise and some lesser lights hoping for a break same as everyone I expect.

Bet wise I've gone for Rodriguez 5-2, Pozzo 25-1 e/w and Pinot 33-1 e/w. Think Rodriguez is nailed on for this one and fancy Pinot and Pozzo to have a pop after losing time yesterday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here