Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
GUTTED.

So close to one of the greatest rides ever.
The trick for today was survey the scene at 45kms, nod off and wake up at 5kms.

I can't believe TM got so close, if he'd hung on I think I would have forgotten all about my £1.07.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Van Rensburg 86th, Barry Markus 159th!

DO NOT FOLLOW MY TIPS.

No rhyme nor reason to who places where at times it seems. Not sure why Flecha was right there at the finish today whilst Bole is nowhere. I wouldn't mind betting Barry Markus/Markus Barry is ill though as he was last yesterday and by the looks of today that wasn't just to conserve energy (cue him winning tomorrow's stage now).

As for Argos Shimano and who they'd work for today, I think Tony Martin ballsed up all their plans and their train just didn't know what to do in the end, despite being in the right place at the right time initially.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You weren't getting to the front unless you were a hard man.

Nobody thought at 3kms, 'hang on that's Tony Martin, we'd better get him NOW'.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
You weren't getting to the front unless you were a hard man.

Nobody thought at 3kms, 'hang on that's Tony Martin, we'd better get him NOW'.

Very nicely put. Totally agree.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
What a ride by Tony martin! I reckon, if he'd stopped that looking around thing, he'd have won that..

That list of 'best ever' books is a load of rubbish. How can anything by Ned boulton end up in there?

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
What a ride by Tony martin! I reckon, if he'd stopped that looking around thing, he'd have won that..
That list of 'best ever' books is a load of rubbish. How can anything by Ned boulton end up in there?

Just caught up with it - I was shouting exactly that at the screen! STOP LOOKING AND RIDE!!!!! Heart-breaking, but also the reason I love this sport. EVERYONE wanted him to stay away, and I suspect even Alex Rasmussen feels a bit bad about the victory.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house

Oh, and this! No 'Bad Blood'? Nothing by Matt Rendell?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Oh, and this! No 'Bad Blood'? Nothing by Matt Rendell?

Also no Rough Ride?

I haven't read Ned's latest offering, but I loved his first one. I know he's no expert, but don't think that you have to be to write a great book about cycling.

Which reminds me, French Revolutions by Tim Moore is the most enjoyable book about cycling that I have ever read.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Also no Rough Ride?

I haven't read Ned's latest offering, but I loved his first one. I know he's no expert, but don't think that you have to be to write a great book about cycling.

Which reminds me, French Revolutions by Tim Moore is the most enjoyable book about cycling that I have ever read.
Ned's offering is probably their to give the non cycling reader a foothold.

I really couldn't get on with French Revolutions I found it very forced.
I possibly have never finished it, which is a rarity for me and books.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Ned's offering is probably their to give the non cycling reader a foothold.

I really couldn't get on with French Revolutions I found it very forced.
I possibly have never finished it, which is a rarity for me and books.

Each to his own. I found it laugh-out-loud funny.

I agree with your reasoning behing Ned's book being included - to an extent. Anyone who is remotely into cycling (on the TV) will know who he is, and he is very easy to warm to. So a lot of his readers will be seasoned cyclists who enjoy his humour and, at times, bumbling bufoonery.

A lot of 'serious' cyclists are a bit precious and elitist, and would no doubt consider that books about cycling that are not written by acknowledged experts have no value. I think this is a shame. It's the same sort of attitude that people show towards David Harmon (where IS he?) who I think is a great commentator.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Cracking ride by our second favourite son.
It would have been all the sweeter if I hadn't taken him out of Team Stat 2 days ago.

A decent team is coming together:-

Jeff Soup.
Bob Jungles.
Dave Lopez.
now Robert Wagner.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We've all done it'

'just a gentle one today, guys, I really don't have the legs'.

Dave Millar, in Canada with Ryder H on a leg spin:-

[tweet]373584305769181184[/tweet]

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Wish live Vuelta coverage today could have started from Km zero. Reading the tickers, it seems things are a bit frantic and lots of attempts at trying to establish the break of the day are failing. Mainly because one with the right composition of non threatening GC riders hasn't yet formed I suppose.

Beats me why races don't go live until the break has already formed. Yes, I know the reasons why they don't, but surely an innovative broadcaster could fill in the 'dead spot' with some classic old archive footage or something before going back live as the action starts to hot up again at the business end of the race :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here