Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's not a thread 1066 has been cheating on us with, t'is a whole new forum.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well in for a penny...

...once you've strayed, he's probably seeing them both at the same time.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Can I get some views on mapping apps?

Heading off for a couple of rides this weekend and plotting routes based on a sportive in the area. Have mapped out a ride on MapMyRide but need to transfer it to an app that has offline maps. How do people tend to do this? Need something that will tell me where I am, and where I need to go, and can do it all offline (to save battery). I have used Everytrail in the past but their mapping system is a nightmare (particularly compared to MapMyRide that follows the roads).

Any thoughts?

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield

Heading off for a couple of rides this weekend and plotting routes based on a sportive in the area. Have mapped out a ride on MapMyRide but need to transfer it to an app that has offline maps. How do people tend to do this? Need something that will tell me where I am, and where I need to go, and can do it all offline (to save battery). I have used Everytrail in the past but their mapping system is a nightmare (particularly compared to MapMyRide that follows the roads).

Any thoughts?

Google maps?

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house

Any thoughts?

Pen and paper? Write the route in a nice list of roads/villages/directions and tape it to the top tube. Oh, and look where you're going...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bikely.com might be able to help.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
I'm not one to be faithtful when it comes to cycling forums!

On the other one I (mostly) look at - the subject of Sky Team salaries came up and a credible source quoted Jonathan Tiernan Locke to be on circa 400k and team mechanics on 45k each.

For the hours they put in the mechanics salary is justifiable for 400k for JTL - crikey...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The story goes, that when Sky officially got hold of JTL, they screwed up his diet.
He lost too much weight and his power dropped accordingly.

Then I nodded off and didn't catch anymore of the podcast.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
First second and fourth.

Not that anyone cares. :down:

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
The story goes, that when Sky officially got hold of JTL, they screwed up his diet.
He lost too much weight and his power dropped accordingly.

Then I nodded off and didn't catch anymore of the podcast.

Christ, a 'nutrition' malfunction right up there with PDM's dodgy 'glucose' drip in the early 90's

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Christ, a 'nutrition' malfunction right up there with PDM's dodgy 'glucose' drip in the early 90's
It was definitely something like that.
I think they got him too skinny for a classics/Giro campaign, so he's been no good to no one all season.

If it's still on my generic MP3 player I might give it another listen, for you.
Although all my other podcasts are coming back on line now.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I do!

3rd, 4th, 10th, 11th that I know about.

That hill in the middle...I'd not try that even with my granny wheel. And in those temperatures! Madness.

Another brilliant stage though, I LOVE the Vuelta.

That was a crazy stage for day 4!

Watched the end of it on the turbo. With baby duties, I have taken to doing turbo sessions with the little one asleep in with me whilst wife and older mini-IL kip upstairs! She seems to like the hum of turbo and fan!

New bike build is progressing at pace - I now have saddle and front mech!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I gotta stop watching these things. So often I find myself saying "I have to go there." Some of them looked like me going up my climbs. There must be something wrong with my eyes/TV to because so often I think they are ascending yet they ride like they're descending.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here