Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
I bought myself a new bike today from Evans.
2013-08-21 15.41.09.jpg
But this is when I needs to ask the cycling geeks a question as I don't know much about bikes. This thing came in a bag of leaflets and booklets that they gave me with the bike but I have I idea what it is. What is it?
2013-08-21 17.25.54.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Derrr, don't you know what that is!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Pantani will tell you what that tools for, it certainly doesn't look like anything in my tool shed.

So what's that you've got there, a Pinnacle cyclo-cross.
It looks nice.

It's a drop out and hanger der brain.

:lol::lolol::rave::lolol::lol:

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I just turned on the US cycling.

I haven't got anything to say about the event, but having been to Boulder, it's a fantastic part of the planet.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yeah it looked good.

You was a bit mean to countryman back there.
Oh don't say that, im pretty sure countryman knew I was joking.
There was a fair bit of post editing going on between comments.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
All very interesting. I've thought about giving triathlon a go though I had to stop running as I tore my hip capsule (twice!) and acl. I'm not a great swimmer but have done a 1.20 half marathon.

It's a great sport - very little ego in it as very few people are the best at everything. You can kick arse on a bike but be last out of the water, or swim like a fish but run like one too. With distances from 'sprint' (officially 750m swim/20k bike/5k run, but often a 400m swim if in a pool) all the way up to Ironman (3.8k swim/180k bike/42.2k run) and beyond there really is something for everyone. As it usually works on a time trial basis, often with multiple laps, you very rarely know if you're overtaking someone who's actually in front of you, or being overtaken by someone slower than you until the end anyway!

I'm definitely a bike/runner too - there's always duathlons (run/bike/run) too if you want to tip your toe into multisport without getting wet!

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
All very interesting. I've thought about giving triathlon a go though I had to stop running as I tore my hip capsule (twice!) and acl. I'm not a great swimmer but have done a 1.20 half marathon.
Luckily the swimming is the smallest part. I'm pretty hopeless at all three bits and have finished last in one (a half-ironman) but everyone always makes you feel part of it. I got cheered out of the water and off the bike.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Blimey the Vuelta is really generous, I barely got off the first page.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Blimey the Vuelta is really generous, I barely got off the first page.

Indeed, and just look how excited everyone is by the third Grand Tour of the year! Just one post on the Vuelta before this one :nono:

I'm away for a while and people start talking about triathlons of all things, I can't say I'm not disappointed. :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Indeed, and just look how excited everyone is by the third Grand Tour of the year! Just one post on the Vuelta before this one :nono:

I'm away for a while and people start talking about triathlons of all things, I can't say I'm not disappointed. :lolol:
Sorry P, I didn't have the energy to stop them.

There is a bit of sportive action, a couple of new bikes, and IL's back on the road, so it's not all bad news.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Sorry P, I didn't have the energy to stop them.

There is a bit of sportive action, a couple of new bikes, and IL's back on the road, so it's not all bad news.

I know, but Triathlon! This isn't 'I can't make up my mind what sport I want to do so I'm gonna do them all, geeks' is it?

Have to say the Vuelta has rather sneaked up on me. Not sure who is going to win, Nibali would be a shoe in if he was going for it, but I thought his stated aim was the World's, so not sure how deep he will be willing to go. The other big names have either ridden the Tour (Rodriguez, Valverde, Mollema, Kreuziger) or are still pretty inexperienced at going for the big ones (Betancur, Henao, Uran) or both (Martin). The sprinters are also a bit third division, (Bos, Markus, Farrar, Regensburg) I think if Markus can get round he will be the best of these jokers.

So going out on a limb my top three is:

1. Rodriguez
2. Henao
3. Nibali

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Let hope its the drug free stuff, but shirley the Vuelta is set up for 'Columbian Gold' and what could be the start of a new nation dominating the grand tours, I can't find anything on the fact they are starting on boats today.

Two young british riders lets see if they can get in the mix early before the par course does its worst.

Attachments

• Columbian Gold.jpg
    Columbian Gold.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 39

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
I know, but Triathlon! This isn't 'I can't make up my mind what sport I want to do so I'm gonna do them all, geeks' is it?

Have to say the Vuelta has rather sneaked up on me. Not sure who is going to win, Nibali would be a shoe in if he was going for it, but I thought his stated aim was the World's, so not sure how deep he will be willing to go. The other big names have either ridden the Tour (Rodriguez, Valverde, Mollema, Kreuziger) or are still pretty inexperienced at going for the big ones (Betancur, Henao, Uran) or both (Martin). The sprinters are also a bit third division, (Bos, Markus, Farrar, Regensburg) I think if Markus can get round he will be the best of these jokers.

So going out on a limb my top three is:

1. Rodriguez
2. Henao
3. Nibali

To be fair it was sort of coaxed out of me, and only spoiled a page or two! Anyway - us International Athletes were discussing things you mere mortals can never understand...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here