Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I doubt it!

"In the summer of 2000 after consultation with Michele Ferrari under the management of Tony Rominger, Evans switched to road cycling full-time"

Oh.

You missed the bit of my post where I said that I was naive in my belief. Seems that this was the bit that was right.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My opinions on Evans haven't changed for a couple of years now.

This tour is too heavily weighted at the end for Evans.

His engine will see him right for the first couple of days, in the last week.
He may well even come back strong in the ITT.
But in between them for 5kms he'll be riding through treacle, as everybody else sets sail.

I'm not convinced by TJ, just yet.
I can't help thinking BMC isn't the right environment for actually winning stuff.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Caption on Cyclingnews above the podium photo, from today:-

Lars Boom (Blanco), with daughter Kee, on the podium after securing overall victory in the Ster ZLM Toer

Why oh why isn't the second 'e' an 'r'?

Mar 12, 2008
Probably cos I can never spell your name!!

If I took the cash first, I'd have to see the job through, not my strong point.

Anyhoo, were up to 20 now, I'm sure I can whore the last 5.
I mailed Claire on Friday just confirming my financial equation, and have set up an account with Champs-sys.
I'm guessing we are all ok with the potential design, inc RIDE or FALL :shrug:.

Assuming we get the financial all clear I guess it's:-

CAPS A GO-GO

Great news. Well played SB.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
A quick update - more tomorrow.

Really enjoyed the day.
No punctures.
1 chain off.
Didn't fanny about.
Made it up the beacon; no blowing.
Pegged it to finish from top of beacon.
Only rider in the Moltemi. Only rider with number on thigh, so must be a contender for best turned out competitor.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
A quick update - more tomorrow.

Really enjoyed the day.
No punctures.
1 chain off.
Didn't fanny about.
Made it up the beacon; no blowing.
Pegged it to finish from top of beacon.
Only rider in the Moltemi. Only rider with number on thigh, so must be a contender for best turned out competitor.

Brilliant, well done. Looking forward to the unedited and detailed write up. I hope that you are drinking beer.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Probably cos I can never spell your name!!

If I took the cash first, I'd have to see the job through, not my strong point.

Anyhoo, were up to 20 now, I'm sure I can whore the last 5.
I mailed Claire on Friday just confirming my financial equation, and have set up an account with Champs-sys.
I'm guessing we are all ok with the potential design, inc RIDE or FALL :shrug:.

Assuming we get the financial all clear I guess it's:-

CAPS A GO-GO

Ride or Fall has really grown on me. Exciting stuff. Well done SB! :clap:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Firstly, thanks for all the support and encouragement. I would not have got anywhere near this far without it. You have got me hooked.

The L2B was never going to be the best measure of where I'm at, but you have to have it on your CV don't you? I guess this is going to be a trip down memory lane for most.

Took me about 10m before I adopted a mid-right side lane position. As the majority of riders were there for the experience (just how many MTBs, ruck sacks and winter clothing?!?!) I had to switch to my pace mode for fear of subconsciously going with the flow. Approached it with my 36 mile training ride mentality and decided to play it by ear if I were to run out of steam. To begin with a 'time' was the plan despite silliness at Figge's Marsh (ages to get over the roundabout) and then having to abandon the climb half way up How Lane because of congestion (everybody stopped riding there) but it was the incredible hanging around in Rocky Lane that made any time meaningless. From the top of the hill there, we waited a good 3 mins before moving 10m. Such was the level of inactivity there, it made it a ride in 2 parts. One over the A23, I was able to stretch my legs and push. Fully warmed up and happy. At about half way I experienced some inner thigh cramp (one side then the other) and saddle soreness. Each time I though 'oh fudge' but they resolved very quickly. At about the same time the drizzle kicked in which slowed me down on the descents. Didn't slow everyone down though. Anyway, as I approached a wet junction, a WPC indicated to us to stop; I was rider 3, rider 2 thought we'd ride through, rider 1 stopped and got hit by rider 2 sending them both down and a mixture of riders and bikes across the road into my path. I was slowing down but knew that a sudden stop would send me down. I saw the car stop and presumed it was because of the off and instinctively err did nothing. I thought I was going down and rode over a front wheel but stayed upright. With the 18 miles to Brighton sign I knew it was unknown territory for me. Maybe it was the clouds obscuring the downs and/or me being completely unfamiliar with the region that stopped me thinking about it and just focusing on passing the day trippers. There were some flyers though, stone me. So the Beacon came into view about a mile to go. On the approach, you could sense the respect. Everyone eased off with the only noise being the constant clunking of cogs being dropped. Walkers (MTBs) to the left and riders (a single flat bar) to the right. I got out the saddle twice for a 5-10m adjustment and kept the rhythm as did all the riders. I couldn't believe how much I still had in the tank at the top so I just had to go for it. I flew across the top. The drop to the Hiker's Rest was wet, so I eased off. On the A27 though I went back on the attack. I was lucky to be near the front at the last stop, so to give my family and friends a clear view of me, I raced around the outside of everyone.

Once again, thanks for your support. I'll be less 'wordy' about it next year - some in-laws and a nephew are going to do it, so I guess I'll get dragged in again.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Great stuff.
It does sound like a pretty bog standard L2B.

Some idiots totally unprepared.
Other idiot warriors pretending to be Wiggo.
Some carnage.
A charge down to Ditchlng.
A sense of ease over the top, and home.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
I've never understood why those with the smallest gears and bikes built to go up and down mountains have so much trouble going up any sort of incline. I might do it on the track bike just to see where my knees burst...

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I hope so. I couldn't stand him in the early days, but have grown to appreciate him more and more - and maybe naively, I believe that he is one of the good guys, one who has always ridden clean.

So yeah, c'mon Cadel.

It's his face and his personality. Very serious person with not much humour about him.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I doubt it!

"In the summer of 2000 after consultation with Michele Ferrari under the management of Tony Rominger, Evans switched to road cycling full-time"

His personality doesn't lend itself to someone who'd be systematically cheating.

Even his riding style, there's no real explosiveness in his riding. No performances where he's blown other riders away with some great turn of foot.

He always just seemed a grinder of a rider rather than an exciting rider to watch.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
His personality doesn't lend itself to someone who'd be systematically cheating.

Even his riding style, there's no real explosiveness in his riding. No performances where he's blown other riders away with some great turn of foot.

He always just seemed a grinder of a rider rather than an exciting rider to watch.
I always felt he never trusted himself, to make THE move and then make it stick.

When he finally did, to win the Worlds, he completely changed into the rider we thought he always was.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Good stuff Motogull :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here