Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Excuse my ignorance, but what use is a chain tool out on a ride? To loosen a link? I've only used one to remove a few links from new chain, and I can't see why you'd want/need during a ride.

If the chain snaps I'll be able to fix it and ride home rather than walk the 30 miles. Granted I won't have gears available, but it's a 'get home in an emergency' rather than 'have a perfect drivetrain' tool. I've used it twice on the road (both for other people) and it doesn't take up much space. Same as the spoke key really.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
NSC CAPS

Ok I've got one other lead to follow, but that's sketchy to say the least.
Prendas, not being magicians couldn't help.

Here's http://www.champ-sys.co.uk/#!tech-cap/cd1fare the 'professional' outfit I mailed who replied:-

...We'd be able to produce your design onto one of our caps and would suggest our Tech Cap if you want the stripes to run front to back...Please note that FedEx delivery charge (5%, minimum £20) and then VAT (20%) gets added to the total.

The £7 plus delivery and then plus vat does include design, as long as we are not actually creating logos for you. Do you have files of the logos you want to include? We can finalise the artwork for you in our templates if you send us vector files of the logos - ai, eps or pdf files - this service is Free. Once you pay a small deposit of £200 (this is not a fee, it will be deducted from your first order value) we can schedule the artwork at our end or you can upload your own designs... We are currently delivering kit to UK & Irish clubs within approx. 6 to 8 weeks of the date of approval of your final artwork (assuming your order has been placed and a deposit of 50% paid)

With this being a NOT FOR PROFIT venture, I, well my credit card, could carry the burden but obviously that ain't happening if the 25 aren't sold:-

£7 x 25 = £175.00 + £20 = £195.00 + 20% = £234 / 25 = £9.36 (please check my maths, it never was a strong point)
Plus on top of that, you'll need to pay your postage, from me to you. I've used all my free stamps this year.

We also need some consensus on the wording, as per previous 'caps' post below:-

Which leads onto the caps themselves.
Design by committee never works. Here's the template we've kind of been working to, if my memory serves:-

Colour - Brighton Blue. Pantone colour ref, to be sourced.
.......... 2 or 4 white stripes from front to back across the centre panel.

White lettering - Bold block right side ??
........................ Bold block left side ??

....................... smaller 'hand written' back northstandchat then below cycling geeks, preferably something more Italic, but you get the point.

....... Brim side - Albion logo

That would leave space at the front and top of the brim, if we decided to not have the stripes reaching the edge.

CYCLING CAPS PROVISIONAL ORDER FORM
Can you please keep quoting this one post when adding your name, so it becomes a 'mailing list'.

I'm still not going to commit 100% to the venture.
As this list grows, I'll start putting stuff together.
A couple of days before I'm on the phone shaking and sweating with my credit card in hand, if your names on this list expect a PM which will be your official order confirmation.

Stat Bro 2
Pogue 2
Bold 2
Moto 1
Ty 1
TotesFreaked 1
1066FM 1
Cranky 1
Pantani 1
Hamilton 2
SB Seagull 2
Was Not Was 1
Teaboy1

Total = 18
Just 7 left to sell.

We still need side panel writing.

RIDE or FALL
ALLEZ ALBION.
??

We're getting there chaps.
Just a few more and we can start putting the templates together.
I'm pretty keen on the project, but it would be good to at least get into the 20's before I place any order.

It does sound like it. I currently have no cycle caps.

If only such a product existed?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Excuse my ignorance, but what use is a chain tool out on a ride? To loosen a link? I've only used one to remove a few links from new chain, and I can't see why you'd want/need during a ride.
Next you'll be saying you don't have a cap to wear?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As for 'what's in your bag'?

I'm a lazy bugger.
When fixing and repairing, knowing a tool was in the saddle bag, made it infinitely more preferable than finding the actual tool I needed.

But because I'm a lazy bugger it was very rarely returned.
Therefore I used to have a fully functioning mini workshop of tools and tubes, but ended up with perhaps 1 broken tyre lever.
But always remembering to take phone and debit card.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
My saddle bag has:

2 spare tubes (1 with 2 patches already)
3 tyre levers
1 pinch nose pliers (for thorn removal)
1 pack self adhesive patches
1 yellow rain cover (never remembered to use)
Near empty pack of wipes squeezed in now

Have just put a bag on the top tube for tomorrow only.

Bike is ready. Hope I can get to sleep early enough.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

When your chain breaks, 40miles from home, you'll know! :thumbsup:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
My saddle bag;
1 multi tool (inc chain tool)
1 Allen key set
2 small screw drivers
2 spare tubes
1 gas tyre inflator
1 £10 note
1 emergency contact details (inc blood group)
1 pump (on bike)
1 small first aid kit
1 rain mac
1 kitchen sink

Am I over cautious!?

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
HTBF am I supposed to 'attach' my rider number to myself? I'm not using anything that might damage my Molteni/Arcore jersey.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
If the chain snaps I'll be able to fix it and ride home rather than walk the 30 miles. Granted I won't have gears available, but it's a 'get home in an emergency' rather than 'have a perfect drivetrain' tool. I've used it twice on the road (both for other people) and it doesn't take up much space. Same as the spoke key really.

Ah right, I thought you'd also need a spare power link or something, but you just reuse the pin. Perhaps I should take it out of my toolbox and put it into the saddle bag! Currently I'm carry two tubes, which given that I'm using Gatorskin Hardshells is (hopefully) overkill.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
CYCLING CAPS PROVISIONAL ORDER FORM
Can you please keep quoting this one post when adding your name, so it becomes a 'mailing list'.

I'm still not going to commit 100% to the venture.
As this list grows, I'll start putting stuff together.
A couple of days before I'm on the phone shaking and sweating with my credit card in hand, if your names on this list expect a PM which will be your official order confirmation.

Stat Bro 2
Pogue 2
Bold 2
Moto 1
Ty 1
TotesFreaked 1
1066FM 1
Cranky 1
Pantani 1
Hamilton 2
SB Seagull 2
Was Not Was 1
Teaboy1

Total = 18
Just 7 left to sell.

We still need side panel writing.

RIDE or FALL
ALLEZ ALBION.
??

We're getting there chaps.
Just a few more and we can start putting the templates together.
I'm pretty keen on the project, but it would be good to at least get into the 20's before I place any order.

If only such a product existed?
If only. I think I have talked myself into it.
As the bike is only used for getting from the swim to the run (and I must always have a helmet) I have not seen the need for a cap, but I guess there will be some long rides if I ever get round to an Ironman.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here