Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If only. I think I have talked myself into it.
As the bike is only used for getting from the swim to the run (and I must always have a helmet) I have not seen the need for a cap, but I guess there will be some long rides if I ever get round to an Ironman.
Blimey I'm definitely in the hard sell zone.

TBH I doubt the caps will be worn under a helmet, in anger, on anything other than chilly mornings.

But as a fashion accessory, and post ride statement it's a must.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
NSC CAPS

Here's http://www.champ-sys.co.uk/#!tech-cap/cd1fare the 'professional' outfit I mailed who replied:-

...We'd be able to produce your design onto one of our caps and would suggest our Tech Cap if you want the stripes to run front to back...Please note that FedEx delivery charge (5%, minimum £20) and then VAT (20%) gets added to the total.

The £7 plus delivery and then plus vat does include design, as long as we are not actually creating logos for you. Do you have files of the logos you want to include? We can finalise the artwork for you in our templates if you send us vector files of the logos - ai, eps or pdf files - this service is Free. Once you pay a small deposit of £200 (this is not a fee, it will be deducted from your first order value) we can schedule the artwork at our end or you can upload your own designs... We are currently delivering kit to UK & Irish clubs within approx. 6 to 8 weeks of the date of approval of your final artwork (assuming your order has been placed and a deposit of 50% paid)

With this being a NOT FOR PROFIT venture, I, well my credit card, could carry the burden but obviously that ain't happening if the 25 aren't sold:-

£7 x 25 = £175.00 + £20 = £195.00 + 20% = £234 / 25 = £9.36 each
Plus on top of that, you'll need to pay your postage, from me to you. I've used all my free stamps this year.

Which leads onto the caps themselves.
Design by committee never works. Here's the template we've kind of been working to, if my memory serves:-

Colour - Brighton Blue.
.......... 2 or 4 white stripes from front to back across the centre panel.

White lettering - Bold block right side ??
........................ Bold block left side ??

....................... smaller 'hand written' back northstandchat then below cycling geeks, preferably something more Italic, but you get the point.

....... Brim side - Albion logo

CYCLING CAPS PROVISIONAL ORDER FORM
Can you please keep quoting this one post when adding your name, so it becomes a 'mailing list'.

A couple of days before I'm on the phone shaking and sweating with my credit card in hand, if your names on this list expect a PM which will be your official order confirmation.

Stat Bro 2
Pogue 2
Bold 2
Moto 1
Ty 1
TotesFreaked 1
1066FM 1
Cranky 1
Pantani 1
Hamilton 2
SB Seagull 2
Was Not Was 1
Teaboy1

Total = 18
Just 7 left to sell.

We still need side panel writing.

RIDE or FALL
ALLEZ ALBION.
??

We're getting there chaps.
Just a few more and we can start putting the templates together.
I'm pretty keen on the project, but it would be good to at least get into the 20's before I place any order.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
HTBF am I supposed to 'attach' my rider number to myself? I'm not using anything that might damage my Molteni/Arcore jersey.
Just take 4 safety pins up with you, the jersey will be fine.

One other thing, I got my record fastest time on L2B, coming down Coldean Lane, off of the Beacon. (49.2mph)

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
I posted a few pages ago that I'm for a couple but it seems to have got lost in the thread! Put me down for a couple please.

I've been through some kit orders on a cycling forum before - Stat, why not collect cash first then order them so that you're not taking the initial hit?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
NSC CAPS

Here's http://www.champ-sys.co.uk/#!tech-cap/cd1fare the 'professional' outfit I mailed who replied:-

...We'd be able to produce your design onto one of our caps and would suggest our Tech Cap if you want the stripes to run front to back...Please note that FedEx delivery charge (5%, minimum £20) and then VAT (20%) gets added to the total.

The £7 plus delivery and then plus vat does include design, as long as we are not actually creating logos for you. Do you have files of the logos you want to include? We can finalise the artwork for you in our templates if you send us vector files of the logos - ai, eps or pdf files - this service is Free. Once you pay a small deposit of £200 (this is not a fee, it will be deducted from your first order value) we can schedule the artwork at our end or you can upload your own designs... We are currently delivering kit to UK & Irish clubs within approx. 6 to 8 weeks of the date of approval of your final artwork (assuming your order has been placed and a deposit of 50% paid)

With this being a NOT FOR PROFIT venture, I, well my credit card, could carry the burden but obviously that ain't happening if the 25 aren't sold:-

Plus on top of that, you'll need to pay your postage, from me to you. I've used all my free stamps this year.

Design by committee never works. Here's the template we've kind of been working to, if my memory serves:-

Colour - Brighton Blue.

....................... smaller 'hand written' back northstandchat then below cycling geeks, preferably something more Italic, but you get the point.

Can you please keep quoting this one post when adding your name, so it becomes a 'mailing list'.

A couple of days before I'm on the phone shaking and sweating with my credit card in hand, if your names on this list expect a PM which will be your official order confirmation.

Stat Bro 2
Pogue 2
Bold 2
Moto 1
Ty 1
TotesFreaked 1
1066FM 1
Cranky 1
Pantani 1
Hamilton 2
SB Seagull 2
Was Not Was 1
Teaboy1
Stoichov 2

Total = 20
Just 7 left to sell.

RIDE or FALL
ALLEZ ALBION.
??

I'm pretty keen on the project, but it would be good to at least get into the 20's before I place any order.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I posted a few pages ago that I'm for a couple but it seems to have got lost in the thread! Put me down for a couple please.

I've been through some kit orders on a cycling forum before - Stat, why not collect cash first then order them so that you're not taking the initial hit?
Probably cos I can never spell your name!!

If I took the cash first, I'd have to see the job through, not my strong point.

Anyhoo, were up to 20 now, I'm sure I can whore the last 5.
I mailed Claire on Friday just confirming my financial equation, and have set up an account with Champs-sys.
I'm guessing we are all ok with the potential design, inc RIDE or FALL :shrug:.

Assuming we get the financial all clear I guess it's:-

CAPS A GO-GO

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

I mailed Claire on Friday just confirming my financial equation, and have set up an account with Champs-sys.

CAPS A GO-GO

Brilliant - thanks for all you've done with this!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Brilliant - thanks for all you've done with this!

Hang on there's still plenty of time for me to be hit by a severe bout of naval gazing.
Plus I might have forgotten to carry a one, and they will actually cost £193.60 each!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
If the chain snaps I'll be able to fix it and ride home rather than walk the 30 miles. Granted I won't have gears available, but it's a 'get home in an emergency' rather than 'have a perfect drivetrain' tool. I've used it twice on the road (both for other people) and it doesn't take up much space. Same as the spoke key really.

I got myself this multi tool recently http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-hexus-ii-16-function-multi-tool/ as my old one is ancient and didn't have a chain tool or spoke key on it. This one also has two tyre levers, effectively taking my tyre lever count to 4 as my clinchers are so tight I'm bound to snap at least one lever anyway. It's a bit weighty, but seems to have everything I need on it.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Blimey I'm definitely in the hard sell zone.

TBH I doubt the caps will be worn under a helmet, in anger, on anything other than chilly mornings.

But as a fashion accessory, and post ride statement it's a must.

I'm looking forward to sporting mine to keep the sun out of my eyes and off of my head on those free wheeling rides along the seafront with the kids in the Summer :thumbsup:..........if we ever get a Summer that is.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house

CAPS A GO-GO

Good stuff Stat, assuming you have carried the 1...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
NSC CAPS

Colour - Brighton Blue.

Stat Bro 2
Pogue 2
Bold 2
Moto 1
Ty 1
TotesFreaked 1
1066FM 1
Cranky 1
Pantani 1
Hamilton 2
SB Seagull 2
Was Not Was 1
Teaboy1
Stoichov 2
Seagull v Canary 1

Total = 21
Just 4 left to sell, to reach minimum order.

RIDE or FALL
ALLEZ ALBION.
??

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
There might be some London-Brighton riders who'd like one but won't come on the Geek thread. *unleashes SB's marketing machine on the wider world*

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There might be some London-Brighton riders who'd like one but won't come on the Geek thread. *unleashes SB's marketing machine on the wider world*
Bold has already tried to force them on the Palace to Falmer riders.

I'm pretty impressed to have sold 21 keeping them 'in house'.
I'd have thought the others will be mopped up before or around delivery.
Obviously I can go above 25 but that will needed to be sorted pretty soon.

If others want one after that, I can modify the design (remove cycling geeks, not that I'm petty or protective over Pantani's little cliche) and sell a more generic Albion cap.

I'll check out the P&P rate, fingers crossed I'll get financial confirmation, and will PM all the details on Monday.
With a view to paying Champs and putting the design together on my day off, on Wednesday.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Bold has already tried to force them on the Palace to Falmer riders.

I'm pretty impressed to have sold 21 keeping them 'in house'.
I'd have thought the others will be mopped up before or around delivery.
Obviously I can go above 25 but that will needed to be sorted pretty soon.

If others want one after that, I can modify the design (remove cycling geeks, not that I'm petty or protective over Pantani's little cliche) and sell a more generic Albion cap.

I'll check out the P&P rate, fingers crossed I'll get financial confirmation, and will PM all the details on Monday.
With a view to paying Champs and putting the design together on my day off, on Wednesday.

I will take a cap please SB.

As I am organising the Palace ride it seems right.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
NSC CAPS

Colour - Brighton Blue.

Stat Bro 2
Pogue 2
Bold 2
Moto 1
Ty 1
TotesFreaked 1
1066FM 1
Cranky 1
Pantani 1
Hamilton 2
SB Seagull 2
Was Not Was 1
Teaboy1
Stoichov 2
Seagull v Canary 1
00snook 1

Total = 22
Just 3 left to sell.

RIDE or FALL
ALLEZ ALBION.
??

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Not sure why I can't get an e/w bet on today's stage in Tour de Suisse but Pinot at 33/1 looks very tempting if you can get it. I'm not prepared to back him to win the stage though. Rui Costa to podium today's stage and take the GC victory would be a nice bet too but can't find odds on that.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Knee jerk reaction here to today's Tour de Suisse ITT results, and to back up what I've said several times before about Evans...he isn't done yet. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes better than TJVG in this years TdF. One last Tour as proper team leader for Evans I think.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Knee jerk reaction here to today's Tour de Suisse ITT results, and to back up what I've said several times before about Evans...he isn't done yet. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes better than TJVG in this years TdF. One last Tour as proper team leader for Evans I think.

I hope so. I couldn't stand him in the early days, but have grown to appreciate him more and more - and maybe naively, I believe that he is one of the good guys, one who has always ridden clean.

So yeah, c'mon Cadel.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here