Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Anyone else done their Tour team yet?

There's no padding out with 3 pointers.

Barely even looked at profiles yet, let alone picked a team.

I have however got my name down on the works holiday planner, and have had for a good while now, for all the decent stages for those all important cycling days off work :) I can't remember what days they are though off the top of my head.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Have you a friend you can give your account details to so s/he can pick your team for you whilst you're away?

Alternatively, in the the spirit of fairness and level playfieldnessesssss, I for one would be willing to go purist, either for the whole Tour or for 6 days, if everyone else was up for it. Would screw up our GC ambitions but a fair and decent NSC league is where it's really at. Would be nice to have a break from the game for a while and enjoy the race for itself for a change anyway.

Alternatively, you can just give me the holiday and I'd gladly forget all about the game for 6 glorious days in France :)
Bollox to that, I ain't no sandal wearing Guardian reading pipe smoking woolly liberal

This is FANTASY.
A 21 day endurance slug-fest.

If you can't stand the heat ...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Barely even looked at profiles yet, let alone picked a team.

I have however got my name down on the works holiday planner, and have had for a good while now, for all the decent stages for those all important cycling days off work :) I can't remember what days they are though off the top of my head.

As usual, the postie life being what it is, I should be ok for most of the stages.
I did book the the Monday to Thursday of the last week off and I'm very tempted to go to the fan park @ Canary Wharf for Alp d'Huez Thursday.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Top statage from Ned.

[tweet]348161239366660096[/tweet]
[tweet]348161798802903040[/tweet]
[tweet]348161480438448128[/tweet]

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Bollox to that, I ain't no sandal wearing Guardian reading pipe smoking woolly liberal

This is FANTASY.
A 21 day endurance slug-fest.

If you can't stand the heat ...

You do surprise me, with your points tally I thought you'd already fully embraced the 'non competitive' spirit allegedly so loved by the aforementioned :wink:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
As usual, the postie life being what it is, I should be ok for most of the stages.
I did book the the Monday to Thursday of the last week off and I'm very tempted to go to the fan park @ Canary Wharf for Alp d'Huez Thursday.

Can't quite get into the fan park idea myself. I know it won't match the feeling I got at the Olympics, and I'd sooner save my train fare and stay at home with a ride in the morning and then settle down on the settee for the stage on slightly delayed live coverage so I can skip through the endless ad breaks.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Have you a friend you can give your account details to so s/he can pick your team for you whilst you're away?

Alternatively, in the the spirit of fairness and level playfieldnessesssss, I for one would be willing to go purist, either for the whole Tour or for 6 days, if everyone else was up for it. Would screw up our GC ambitions but a fair and decent NSC league is where it's really at. Would be nice to have a break from the game for a while and enjoy the race for itself for a change anyway.

Alternatively, you can just give me the holiday and I'd gladly forget all about the game for 6 glorious days in France :)

I'm touched by your generosity, 1066, but I wouldn't want to spoil everyone else's fun.

I must admit, though, that the prospect of going purist is quite attractive as fantasy is really impacting my race enjoyment!

Picked a provisional team today and it's really tough - high prices mean only 1 or 2 top riders.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can't quite get into the fan park idea myself. I know it won't match the feeling I got at the Olympics, and I'd sooner save my train fare and stay at home with a ride in the morning and then settle down on the settee for the stage on slightly delayed live coverage so I can skip through the endless ad breaks.
I know it's going to be blooming expensive, and I won't need much of an excuse to back out, (weather, leafs on the line, foregone conclusion etc) but I think it'll be a good atmosphere for potential a great stage.
Plus it'll be nice to have a ME day out.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house

Why not ride up? Kill 2 birds with 1 stone. The ride home will be Tour-inspired so won't hurt too much.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house

Why not just post your account details on here - I'm sure the Geek collective will take good care of your team in your absence.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Chuff it. Between getting up and getting to the front door, the weather deteriorated. I was planning an extra loop to my former training route:

5wf2.jpg

Delayed by 24 hours it is then.

Silver lining? NZ v France.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Yeah, go purist. The transfers in these fantasy games have got out hand. Next they'll be the chances to swap riders during the feed-zones!

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Yeah, go purist. The transfers in these fantasy games have got out hand. Next they'll be the chances to swap riders during the feed-zones!

I might go purist, but only because I'm not organised or knowledgeable enough to make decent transfers at the right time. I'm usually ok for the first 4 days, then get distracted.

For 'proper' purist fantasy there's always Velogames. We could open a 'purist' league there, then have the best (or worst!) of both.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Why not ride up? Kill 2 birds with 1 stone. The ride home will be Tour-inspired so won't hurt too much.

I think you're getting me confused with the likes of Pogue Mahone et al. on here :lol: 120 odd mile round trips don't even come close to being thought about for me, let alone ridden I'm afraid. Besides, I have the A21 as an excuse not to risk it, and that's all the excuse I'll ever need.

Why not just post your account details on here - I'm sure the Geek collective will take good care of your team in your absence.

What a superb idea and one I really think IL should consider. I can just imagine the discussion now....We could have Goss as his number one sprinter, Schleck as his top climber and as many Argos Shimano boys as we're allowed and honestly say we tried our best for him :wink:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
What a superb idea and one I really think IL should consider. I can just imagine the discussion now....We could have Goss as his number one sprinter, Schleck as his top climber and as many Argos Shimano boys as we're allowed and honestly say we tried our best for him :wink:

I was thinking that we could go Euskadel heavy on the sprint stages, Omega Pharma in the mountains. IL would then win at a canter.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'll try and get everything in one go

No, frackin way you mentals.
This is Daddies day out, no bleedy petting zoo, play park, Fireman Sam @ The Connaught Theatre (I slept through that, quite an achievement) et al.
This will be Brie, Bière and Baguettes.
It will only be a success if I finally turn into my hero - My Avatar.

We can't go purist for the biggest race of the year.
I almost suggested we go purist for the Vuelta, but I don't imagine I could cope with that either.
We need a new league for the purist itch to be scratched.

I might go purist, but only because I'm not organised or knowledgeable enough to make decent transfers at the right time. I'm usually ok for the first 4 days, then get distracted.
I have no idea of the point your making :lol:
Oh oh I've also go a new name, a classic to rival Jeff Soup but I'll be jiggered if I can remember it.

I'd happily hand Team Stat over to the collective, if I were in IL's position.
I have belief in us being an honourable bunch, and if it's the middle week you'll do better than me, even if you hold back the odd 'ace'.

- I think we'll be moving on Thursday, so make sure you're packed, have your Euros and passport.
I don't want to leave anyone home alone this year.

- I've just listened to the 5-live 100 years of Le Tour podcast, very good it is too (although I didn't get on with the woman on the panel). It's a great piece to listen to if you want to do some history and perhaps fill some knowledge gaps, for those newer to Le Tour. But it's also pretty good just to get the juices flowing.
Stephen Roche and Dutch Corner being 2 instant highlights.

- and finally, I bought Boneshaker magazine through t'internet, yesterday, it arrived today.
My magazine of choice CycleSport has gone from being the corporate vehicle of road racing reading, to a corporate juggernaut.
Boneshaker looks a bit trendy, but is a compilation of all things bike but a little left field and with no advertising.
Fingers crossed it'll be a worthy read, I'll let you know.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
NSC CAPS

I sent our design off on Wednesday.
We had a little back and forth about the logo on Thursday/Friday.
They have just sent the proofs, Saturday PM.

They are not quite right, but fairly close, and pretty impressive nonetheless.
(Even my natural pessimism is finding it hard to be heard)

I've just requested the changes needed, even though I'm supposed to be watching Escape to Victory!!.

They certainly aren't hanging about.

JUST 3 CAPS REMAINING.

PM being sent to those who have already requested a cap.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here