Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Froome, did the business on the others though.

Even with a paltry amount of TT'ing CF can put J-Rod to the sword.

Yep, solid Sky performance there today and Contador must be thinking he's next in line to suffer at the hands of the Sky machine. I like J Rod, and hope he can pull out a good TT by his standards to limit his loses, although Froome should well and truly smash the TT, especially as it has a small climb in it.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Just looked at the full route for this Vuelta again, it is going to be a real war of attrition, so so tough, so many summit finishes. I have to question why they are fighting so hard for time bonuses at this stage, 12, 8 or 4 seconds bonus is worthless when they will be climbing this:

Vuelta%202012%20Stage%2014%20profile.jpg

Then this:

Vuelta%202012%20Stage%2015%20profile.jpg

Then this:

Vuelta%202012%20Stage%2016%20profile.jpg

on consecutive days.

Not to mention the penultimate day when they have to tackle this bad boy:

Vuelta%202012%20Stage%2020%20profile.jpg

This has been a bit of a slow burner for me so far but it could develop in to a real classic if the big 4 (Contador, Froome, Rodriguez, Valverde) stay close to each other all the way through.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Maybe Froome's time-bonus-imposed 2nd place last year is somewhat on his mind.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Maybe Froome's time-bonus-imposed 2nd place last year is somewhat on his mind.

True, but it is a very different race this year, so difficult. Shame there is not a bit more time trialling though, it is too imbalanced towards the mountain goats the same as the Tour was too imbalanced towards the time trialists.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's pretty manic stuff.

My guess is that they all expect to suffer at some point, and they are 'banking' time now, to limit the losses then.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Today's breakaway:

Pablo LECHUGA RODRIGUEZ (Andalucía), Javier Francisco ARAMENDIA LORENTE (Caja Rural), Frantisek RABON (Omega Pharma-QuickStep) and Bertjan LINDEMAN (Vacansoleil).

Expect them to get reeled in for another sprint finish, really hope so, anyway, as I have packed my team full of sprinters.

Degenkolb, Benatti, Swift, Froome, Talansky, Meersman, Anacona, Florencio and Terpstra.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Today's breakaway:

Pablo LECHUGA RODRIGUEZ (Andalucía), Javier Francisco ARAMENDIA LORENTE (Caja Rural), Frantisek RABON (Omega Pharma-QuickStep) and Bertjan LINDEMAN (Vacansoleil).

Expect them to get reeled in for another sprint finish, really hope so, anyway, as I have packed my team full of sprinters.

Degenkolb, Benatti, Swift, Froome, Talansky, Meersman, Anacona, Florencio and Terpstra.
I took J-Rod and Froome out.
I replaced them with J Deg, and oddly enough, for no apparent reason, Lars Boom.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I took J-Rod and Froome out.
I replaced them with J Deg, and oddly enough, for no apparent reason, Lars Boom.

I've saved a transfer, so have three for tomorrow, so I should be able to get a climbing super team. Not that it will matter, 1066 will probably have a domestique get in a break, be first over every climb and take the stage. :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've saved a transfer, so have three for tomorrow, so I should be able to get a climbing super team. Not that it will matter, 1066 will probably have a domestique get in a break, be first over every climb and take the stage. :lolol:
You say that like it's happened before :facepalm:

I'll just be swapping my 2 back, tomorrow, then work on getting my dom costs down so I can squeeze in another big boy.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Maaskant and Martin crash, touching wheels. Martin really is struggling to stay upright this season.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
1, 5, 6 and 10 for me today, not too bad. 1066 of course has 1, 2, 4, 6, 13, 15 and 16. What are we supposed to do? Seven of his riders scored today.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
These changes from sprint to mountains each day are playing havoc with my transfers. I'm having to change 2 team leaders every day and it means I'm stuck with the crap doms I've had since stage 2!

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
These changes from sprint to mountains each day are playing havoc with my transfers. I'm having to change 2 team leaders every day and it means I'm stuck with the crap doms I've had since stage 2!

I'm having the same problem, I've saved a transfer for tomorrow so I have three, but still can't get the team I want.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
1, 5, 6 and 10 for me today, not too bad. 1066 of course has 1, 2, 4, 6, 13, 15 and 16. What are we supposed to do? Seven of his riders scored today.

Could send the testers round I suppose and hope I get kicked out , I must surely be on something with numbers like that :lol:

Seriously though, I'm taking absolutely nothing for granted, history has shown I always blow up in a 3 week tour. Long long way to go yet.

Predictable stage today but I'm gutted for Uran. As Hammond said, silly really to get caught behind that crash as all the hard work he's done in this first week has just gone straight out the window :(

Btw, interesting thoughts from Roger Hammond about his time on Armstrong's Discovery Team. As SB said, Hammond is a really good summariser and I'm enjoying his feedback in the studio with Imlach.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It is really tricky going climb, sprint, climb, sprint all the while. Will settle down a bit once we get into the high mountains, but then there's big breakaway points up for grabs then and that can be a real lottery.

I'm loving this Vuelta so far, regardless of the fantasy points, the racing has been excellent so far and yet the real fireworks are yet to come.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Btw, interesting thoughts from Roger Hammond about his time on Armstrong's Discovery Team. As SB said, Hammond is a really good summariser and I'm enjoying his feedback in the studio with Imlach.
I know I'm down on Soccerballists, and I'm sure not all cycling can do punditry.

But RH has popped up on our screens, at short notice (I don't know if he's worked on TV before), and is easily giving good insight and perspective, without the hint of an er...well you know...the boy done good.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
It is really tricky going climb, sprint, climb, sprint all the while. Will settle down a bit once we get into the high mountains, but then there's big breakaway points up for grabs then and that can be a real lottery.

I'm loving this Vuelta so far, regardless of the fantasy points, the racing has been excellent so far and yet the real fireworks are yet to come.

Definitely is. Have to say, I'm actually pretty happy with maintaining my 'poulidor'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here