Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's great racing, which is certainly shaping up to be the best GT of the year.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I know I'm down on Soccerballists, and I'm sure not all cycling can do punditry.

But RH has popped up on our screens, at short notice (I don't know if he's worked on TV before), and is easily giving good insight and perspective, without the hint of an er...well you know...the boy done good.

I think it's just that cycling IS chess on wheels so every rider that has competed at the highest level has to have something going on up top and will have lived and breathed race tactics. If RH hasn't done TV work before then his performance here is even more commendable - he's so chilled which just makes all that superb knowledge and insight a real pleasure to listen to.

Good race commentary team too. ITV4 are doing a much better job of this Vuelta than they did last year I reckon.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Perhaps they should only apply to cover sporting events, 2 weeks before it starts, less time to over think.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Nicked from another place. Great pic of tomorrow's finish.

eb0f00da792d96e188bf7a92ab401e48o.jpg

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Winners of Armstrong's tours if you exclude everyone associated with or guilty of doping (from l'equipe)

Les vainqueurs "propres" de l'époque Armstrong
1999: Daniele Nardello (7e du Tour).

2000: Daniele Nardello (10e du Tour).

2001: Andreï Kivilev (4e du Tour).

2002: Carlos Sastre (10e du Tour).

2003: Haimar Zubeldia (5e du Tour).

2004: Carlos Sastre (8e du Tour).

2005: Cadel Evans (8e du Tour).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Pretty depressing list.

Winners of the last 2 tours, not associated with doping:-

2011 Cadel Evans
2012 Bradley Wiggins.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've just watched yesterdays stage, I was distracted by Die Hard 2, last night.

And yes Hammond did a very good job, of explaining the situation, as well as questioning Lance's decision.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I still think there is something going to come out about Lance very soon. I've got that sick feeling in my belly that his cancer is back so instead of fighting a court case he's fighting for his life. I do pray I'm wrong though, and he is doing it for the sake of his family.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I still think there is something going to come out about Lance very soon. I've got that sick feeling in my belly that his cancer is back so instead of fighting a court case he's fighting for his life. I do pray I'm wrong though, and he is doing it for the sake of his family.
Hmmm I think it's more to do with Grand Jury Indictments.

Lie on those and your going to jail.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Come on cycling fans, I'm after a favour. I've had a very reasoned debate about Lance on FB with a mate of mine and I'm trying to recommend him some books to read about the doping in cycling (and the reasons for it). I've recommended Millars book and Bad Blood, but I know there are a couple more out there that I can't think of.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Come on cycling fans, I'm after a favour. I've had a very reasoned debate about Lance on FB with a mate of mine and I'm trying to recommend him some books to read about the doping in cycling (and the reasons for it). I've recommended Millars book and Bad Blood, but I know there are a couple more out there that I can't think of.

Kimmage, willy voet.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
And another classic stage today. GC riders attacking each other and steep sections that almost make you wince just looking at them. I think it's scenes like this that made me fall in love with watching cycling as a kid.

Hats off to Contador for spot on tactics against Froome today. Comedy moment when Froome does a track stop on him right on one of the steepest sections but Contador refuses to budge. Have to confess, watching them go up that final climb today I thought Contador would take the stage, but oh what a finish from Valverde and J Rod :clap2: Superb racing!

Cracking bit of analysis again from RH pointing out Contador's mistake right at the end that most likely cost him the stage win. What is there not to like about this Vuelta? I'm absolutely loving it!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Paul Kimmage book is the one.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bit naive from Froome Dog there.

The Spaniards certainly did a number on him, today.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
1066 is killing this. It's going to take a serious implosion to blow this one!

I've got no idea about tomorrow. Sprint? Break? God knows.
We'd be having a great competition...

...if it wasn't for HIM!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm flummoxed for tomorrow too. Not sure if it'll go to a bunch sprint or if it's worth a gamble on the likes of Gilbert for this one. Decisions, decisions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here