Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
Assuming it's Sex Lies & Handlebar Tape, you're moving onto, t'is a good read.

Also recommend my Tour read, Half Man Half Bike - Eddie Merckx, by William Fotheringham.

Probably not to be read straight after your JA book.

Yes it's the one you mentioned. Thanks for the other recommendation, I find it really fascinating reading about how much they have to punish themselves to be able to compete at that level

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes it's the one you mentioned. Thanks for the other recommendation, I find it really fascinating reading about how much they have to punish themselves to be able to compete at that level
Ah then the Merckx book becomes a must read, for you.

As said, you might find them a bit too similar for reading back to back.
What with the over lap of races, riders and techniques.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've just noticed Eddie Merckx is a subject on tonight's Mastermind, BBC2 8pm.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Here's a thing for you, chaps.
Have a look at this, and let me know what you think, I'll then give you the full story.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Which one?

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
I'll give you the full story! The motorbike nuts pay to be on the road in the form of tax and insurance. The other mob. nada, nothing. Fecking lycra louts need to be nicked same as rest of us for road transgressions.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The full story is (paraphrasing):-

The cyclist took offence to being struck by the motorcyclist.
He presented this evidence to the police.
They agreed there was a case.
Given the choice of pushing for a motoring offence or assault, the cyclist chose assault.
The m/c originally thought he could get away with it through bullshit, and couldn't.
He then tried to plea for the lesser motoring offence, as he's a social worker and would lose his job.
This was also turned down.
The offender was found guilty, 6 months conditional discharge and £400 costs.
I don't know if it has effected his job.

Now, I have pointed out to the victim that riding 4 abreast and onto the other side of the road, contributed to the offence.
And that he should take some responsibility for his own actions before throwing the book at others.

I've not defended the m/c as he should never have struck the cyclist.

To say this hasn't gone down well, would be an understatement.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
I'll give you the full story! The motorbike nuts pay to be on the road in the form of tax and insurance. The other mob. nada, nothing. Fecking lycra louts need to be nicked same as rest of us for road transgressions.

When 'road transgressions' are committed cyclists can be and have been arrested. In this case the only transgression is a minor assault by the motorbike rider.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011

Given the choice of pushing for a motoring offence or assault, the cyclist chose assault.
The m/c originally thought he could get away with it through bullshit, and couldn't.
He then tried to plea for the lesser motoring offence, as he's a social worker and would lose his job.

Now, I have pointed out to the victim that riding 4 abreast and onto the other side of the road, contributed to the offence.
And that he should take some responsibility for his own actions before throwing the book at others.

Well I agree with the last sentance at least.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
When 'road transgressions' are committed cyclists can be and have been arrested. In this case the only transgression is a minor assault by the motorbike rider.

Thank heck for that too, otherwise the lycra louts would be spewing with venom!

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011

I am sorry but I have just re-read your post. The bike riders riding many abreast restrict the motorbikes progress and even ride over the white middle lane line. That in itself is a motoring infringement. Yet the cycalist is innocent and 'he' is given the 'choice' of charge? Feck, we are all going mad.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Anyway, great ride by Movistar yesterday. Be interesting to see what the sprinters can do today, there doesn't appear to be many of them, naturally.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ

I wonder what would happen in your opinion between a articulated lorry and a pedestrian if that is your sole defence.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

For the hundredth time, there's no such thing as road tax. It's vehicle excise duty based on emissions.

Insurance covers you if you're at fault - if a cyclist causes third party damage they can still be pursued for losses incurred.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here