Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
1,2,3,6, 18 and 19. Come on! 205 points! I've just watched the highlights. Pozzovivo should have attacked earlier on the climb, it never would have stuck as they would have caught him on the descent but psychologically he needed to do it. The others need to know he can hurt them, plus they still would have needed to chase him while he could rest up for the descent. Impressed with Uran today and Ryder of course. Basso is also making me eat my words (although I have put him in my team).

Plus what is all this talk of sneakers?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Highlights were on late tonight and I just finished watching. Great stage. Very surprised that Roman especially & Tiralongo too got blown away like that.

Basso looked very good today, especially considering Szmyd had a mechanical and so couldn't do the usual 90 odd percent of his pacing for him.

Big scores all round today but Pantani creeping up ominously on me now.

I think it will go down to the wire, both in our game and the real thing. TT picks are going to be so important.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I think it will go down to the wire, both in our game and the real thing. TT picks are going to be so important.

I'm trying to decide whether I'm enjoying watching my first full Giro more or less as a result of this fantasy league. I'm a bloody nervous wreck at times now because of it !

My omission of Basso in recent days could be another one of my silly decisions, especially as I was the only one saying on here that I think he may well win it. I'd like to see Ryder do it though or failing that J Rod. Still all to play for.

I'll be honest and say that the length of the TT has thrown me. I've hunted around for recent results from similar length TT's but can't find any. I know the obvious ones to include and who to leave out but some of my prologue team I'm not too sure about over this distance. Is one TT much the same as another? (unless it's a silly Tour of Romandy sprint of course that Cav can even win) or will some of my prologue team just not go that distance :shrug: I don't expect you'll be telling - those cards will be kept well close now no doubt :rolleyes:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Saturday should be fantastic, assuming NSC's own is still in the mix, because the others, with perhaps the except of Basso have to get rid of him.

Milan isn't a place for cyclist, cobbled narrow twisting streets, and tram lines.

The route will open up, out of town, but it will be taxing, maybe not a route for a pure TT rider, but definitely not one for an incompetent TTer.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh and currently the weather is dry.
If it rains it will be carnage.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I'm trying to decide whether I'm enjoying watching my first full Giro more or less as a result of this fantasy league. I'm a bloody nervous wreck at times now because of it !

My omission of Basso in recent days could be another one of my silly decisions, especially as I was the only one saying on here that I think he may well win it. I'd like to see Ryder do it though or failing that J Rod. Still all to play for.

I'll be honest and say that the length of the TT has thrown me. I've hunted around for recent results from similar length TT's but can't find any. I know the obvious ones to include and who to leave out but some of my prologue team I'm not too sure about over this distance. Is one TT much the same as another? (unless it's a silly Tour of Romandy sprint of course that Cav can even win) or will some of my prologue team just not go that distance :shrug: I don't expect you'll be telling - those cards will be kept well close now no doubt :rolleyes:

I've got a bit if a cushion back to 4th now so I might take a few leftfield gbles to try and get up to Pantani.... and 1066 if it all came off.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I'm just about to start reading A Race For
Madmen.

EDIT: Last flat road stage of the tour. Cav will go all or for the win, but I doubt many people will risk losing safe GC points on Cav.

My subs for the day... Nieve and Possivivo out for Big G and Kristoff.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I took Roman out for Cav.

It doesn't look like will win the points jersey, only being 1 point clear of J-Rod, assuming the points are consistent throughout the race.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I took Roman out for Cav.

It doesn't look like will win the points jersey, only being 1 point clear of J-Rod, assuming the points are consistent throughout the race.

Is it because Cav over took him on the final climb yesterday? They were both so far back I did not see them on the highlights.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yeah I can't believe Roman in now -12 mins. It was looking good.

You certainly called that one, I'm still surprised Basso did him and a few other over, yesterday.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Yeah I can't believe Roman in now -12 mins. It was looking good.

You certainly called that one, I'm still surprised Basso did him and a few other over, yesterday.

Me too (on Basso), I think it will take repeated attacks from Pozzo and Purito to shake him off in the mountains now. Whether they do or not we shall see.

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
For anyone who hasn't had the pleasure of cycling up the newly surfaced 'Ditchling Beacon', it's quite beautiful, no more avoiding the potholes on the corners under the trees.:)

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
For anyone who hasn't had the pleasure of cycling up the newly surfaced 'Ditchling Beacon', it's quite beautiful, no more avoiding the potholes on the corners under the trees.:)

'pleasure' and 'beautiful' not sure about that :lolol:

Does anyone ride down it? I used to live up Ditchling Road so it was the quickest way to get out in to the country. I absolutely hate riding down it, so technical, covered in various detritus and full of cars driving in the middle of the road, it must be the only hill I prefer riding up than down.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I think even the descent would be OK now, still technical but no more loose gravel on the corners, just grippy tarmac.

At least until it rains. I may have to try a descent again, it is satisfying when you nail it.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
If anyone fancies a fun, fast, not to technical descent then pop over to Seaford and head out towards Alfriston. You can do a cracking 15 mile loop that includes some good climbs and cracking descents. Only one climb is on a busy road so not to scary fighting the tin can monkeys.

I'll have to plot it on map my ride and post it here for you all.

EDIT: Hopefully this works, care of google maps. The ride starts from Wave Leisure car park.

http://g.co/maps/venmn

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here