Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
My innovation for cycling watching is a very simple one - give ALL cycling commentators a startlist with bib numbers! I find myself printing one off sometimes so I can follow things rather than suffer the commentators ballsing up all the time. Mind you, for the Worlds road race the official UCI startlist I was using was quite often one number out on some of the teams, which was all a bit strange.

Took mini 1066 out on here Btwin Triban 3 Junior for the first time today. She was a bit unsure at first, but she very quickly settled down and was in her element! Got the hang of the 7 gears no trouble at all (big advantage having just one front ring for a youngster) and loved the speed she was able to generate. Very tentative going down on the drops but gave it a go a few times and slowing gaining confidence (supports the theory of having a second set of brakes up on the top). We did just over 13 flat off road (tarmac) miles and her first words when we unloaded the car back home was along the lines of wanting to go straight back out on the bike again. She absolutely loves it!, which is a huge relief as I know some kids don't get on with the feel of road bikes.

Our next challenge is to get her more road savvy so we can go out on some proper rides, but I'm a bit concerned about traffic and an 8yr olds ability to judge distances and speed in the same way that adults can. Anyone got any experiences to share with such young kids in traffic?

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
next challenge is to get her more road savvy so we can go out on some proper rides, but I'm a bit concerned about traffic and an 8yr olds ability to judge distances and speed in the same way that adults can. Anyone got any experiences to share with such young kids in traffic?

Sounds like she took to it really well. I know it was many years ago but I started rising on the road with my dad at about 8. I basically sat in his wheel and followed what he did or sat inside him when 2 abreast and learnt what to do.

When you're in front, ride further out so she can sit just inside you. Once she's more confident get her to go in front and then sit outside to offer some protection.

The most important thing is learning the skills that are essential when cycling such as reading car drivers and picking which roundabouts and junctions need different positioning from the conventional.

If there is somewhere quiet for her to ride so there's no wobble then that's really helpful!

As an aside, I didn't realise we were getting beaten in the fantasy by an 8 year old!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Sounds like she took to it really well. I know it was many years ago but I started rising on the road with my dad at about 8. I basically sat in his wheel and followed what he did or sat inside him when 2 abreast and learnt what to do.

When you're in front, ride further out so she can sit just inside you. Once she's more confident get her to go in front and then sit outside to offer some protection.

The most important thing is learning the skills that are essential when cycling such as reading car drivers and picking which roundabouts and junctions need different positioning from the conventional.

If there is somewhere quiet for her to ride so there's no wobble then that's really helpful!

As an aside, I didn't realise we were getting beaten in the fantasy by an 8 year old!

Thanks, solid advice there. The few quite little roads I have taken her on (on her tesco super heavy weight grip shifter knobbly tyre jobbie) I've done just as you say and got her to lead and me sit behind her further out to shelter her. I've rarely let her go behind as I want to see how she rides. When out in the car I also give her instruction about roundabouts, junctions etc and she's always asking questions anyway. I'm also forever telling all our kids about how I always make eye contact with drivers when I'm on my bike and never trust anyone not to pull out on me.

Today;s ride was along Rye Harbour Nature reserve and I'll be taking her on plenty more seafront cycle path rides now the tourist season is over, and we throw in the road down there and back too. Certainly won't be getting her out on busy rides until she's had plenty of time to iron out the wobbles and is completely confident to ride one handed whilst glancing over her shoulder (which is something I've been getting her to practice at her own pace for a while now).

Fantasy wise, don't panic, the 1066 mini(f) you see there is 16 now. She chooses not to ride. She can, but claims she's only any good at riding in straight lines! There's another 1066 mini(f) coming through that also loves her bike though. Just turned 5, learnt on a balance bike first of all, and joined us today pedalling all the way on her single speed Raleigh Molly. She's sleeping well tonight as a result :) Before you know it it'll be balance bike time for your little addition too no doubt.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
>>>>>>>>FANTASY HEADS UP EVERYONE<<<<<<<<<

Don't forget to pick your team for Lombardy tomorrow.

I've been switching riders in and out more than usual for this, but finally settled on a team now.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Thanks, solid advice there. The few quite little roads I have taken her on (on her tesco super heavy weight grip shifter knobbly tyre jobbie) I've done just as you say and got her to lead and me sit behind her further out to shelter her. I've rarely let her go behind as I want to see how she rides. When out in the car I also give her instruction about roundabouts, junctions etc and she's always asking questions anyway. I'm also forever telling all our kids about how I always make eye contact with drivers when I'm on my bike and never trust anyone not to pull out on me.

Today;s ride was along Rye Harbour Nature reserve and I'll be taking her on plenty more seafront cycle path rides now the tourist season is over, and we throw in the road down there and back too. Certainly won't be getting her out on busy rides until she's had plenty of time to iron out the wobbles and is completely confident to ride one handed whilst glancing over her shoulder (which is something I've been getting her to practice at her own pace for a while now).

Fantasy wise, don't panic, the 1066 mini(f) you see there is 16 now. She chooses not to ride. She can, but claims she's only any good at riding in straight lines! There's another 1066 mini(f) coming through that also loves her bike though. Just turned 5, learnt on a balance bike first of all, and joined us today pedalling all the way on her single speed Raleigh Molly. She's sleeping well tonight as a result :) Before you know it it'll be balance bike time for your little addition too no doubt.

Triathlon? ;-)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Blimey! Tommy V is going to solo this from 60km out at this rate :eek:

Edit: Or not. Gap tumbling now.

Last edited:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Took mini 1066 out on here Btwin Triban 3 Junior for the first time today. She was a bit unsure at first, but she very quickly settled down and was in her element! Got the hang of the 7 gears no trouble at all (big advantage having just one front ring for a youngster) and loved the speed she was able to generate. Very tentative going down on the drops but gave it a go a few times and slowing gaining confidence (supports the theory of having a second set of brakes up on the top). We did just over 13 flat off road (tarmac) miles and her first words when we unloaded the car back home was along the lines of wanting to go straight back out on the bike again. She absolutely loves it!, which is a huge relief as I know some kids don't get on with the feel of road bikes.

Our next challenge is to get her more road savvy so we can go out on some proper rides, but I'm a bit concerned about traffic and an 8yr olds ability to judge distances and speed in the same way that adults can. Anyone got any experiences to share with such young kids in traffic?

I really like reading stuff like that. I can't offer ant help though.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Get in there Purito! :)

Shame that Dan Martin had a gear issue in the sprint for 3rd with Majka and very nearly lost 4th to Gasparotto (who I nearly had in my team, but then again who didn't I nearly have or take out at one point or another) as a result.

AVV a lot more aggressive today. Must have got so much stick from all quarters since the Worlds that he thought he'd better try to make amends somehow. Chapeau to Tommy V for giving it a good old go form 60km out.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't see how he/they can ride the worlds so hard and then win 7 days later.

My team consisted of Worlds failures, 'cos there's no way you could do both'.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I don't see how he/they can ride the worlds so hard and then win 7 days later.

My team consisted of Worlds failures, 'cos there's no way you could do both'.

Some put a decent shift in on Milano - Torino too.

Anyway, haven't got time to worry myself over it. Off out on the bikes.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I've got some mojo coming back. And it is down to new routes. I've been looking at Bluebell Hill (the one with the ghost) for ages growling that there's no safe cycle path up it. Well today, on chuffing about on bikehut's course creator, I realised there is a route which crosses the dual carriageway (under it). Its a bit 'deliverance' on appearance, but it comes in as a cat 4, more climbing than my other climb 4 and, better still, steeper in part than my 1 in 6. On current form, it should beat me comfortably but I'm already thinking about getting up next morning with a grin.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Fantasy heads up for Binche - Chimay - Binche on Tuesday.

The only thing I know about this race is that Chimay do some lovely beers. I have a Chimay glass that I bought from Noel Culviers beer shop in Belgium. I think that might just give me the edge I'm after in this race.

Just cobbled a team full of sprinters together and one breakaway rider with a recent victory from a similar race nicely tucked away in his palmarés.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
One of those 'worth a punt' moments.

I was looking for my drivers license yesterday and found this unwanted present (t'was the gifter that was unwanted).
Before I plunge into ebay and/or 'radar's classifieds I thought I'd offer it up here.

Never worn, bagged and tagged, xl, £37.50 (assuming it's about £2.50 p&p)
Oh and for any newbies who might be interested xl for Campag/Italian clothing is smaller than our xl, a la the Errea clothing.

Here's it's spec as per Winstanleys

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/46095/Campagnolo_Mitica_Long_Sleeved_Half_Zip_Jersey

Attachments

• Campag mitica half zip jersey 001.jpg
    Campag mitica half zip jersey 001.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 43
  • Campag mitica half zip jersey 002.jpg
    Campag mitica half zip jersey 002.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Campag mitica half zip jersey 004.jpg
    Campag mitica half zip jersey 004.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Just checked my Binche - Chimay - Binche fantasy team for withdrawals, and 7 out of my 9 aren't starting. Back to the drawing board it is then.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Am I missing something???

Answer to this random question for log in purposes:

Q. Who sponsors Team Saxo Bank?

Answer surely has to be any of these: - Tinkoff, Tinkoff Bank, Saxo Bank, Saxo - Tinkoff Bank, Riss Cycling. They're not accepting any of those as the answer though. How strange.

Anyone any ideas?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I thought Tinkoff walked away, in a row over Contador, so unlikely.
Riss is spelt Riis.

Other than that I'm not much help.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I thought Tinkoff walked away, in a row over Contador, so unlikely.
Riss is spelt Riis.

Other than that I'm not much help.

I thought Tinkoff were still part of the equation. I only just noticed that I spelt Riis incorrectly in my original post. I had already spelt it correctly as the answer but still no joy. I managed to get another random question and answered that the Giro D'Italia is held in Italy. It accepted that but still can't log in with or change my new password. I think the site is just playing up.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Am I missing something???

Answer to this random question for log in purposes:

Q. Who sponsors Team Saxo Bank?

Answer surely has to be any of these: - Tinkoff, Tinkoff Bank, Saxo Bank, Saxo - Tinkoff Bank, Riss Cycling. They're not accepting any of those as the answer though. How strange.

Anyone any ideas?

CSC?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here