Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Have we discussed Jonathan Tiernan-Locke on here?
He's been mentioned, nothing too heavy.

I don't know what to make of it.
He really pushed to have a bio passport last season, but got knocked back.
He unfortunately got backed by Pat :facepalm:
He's been pretty non existent this season.
He's believed to not have the characteristics of 'a Sky rider', perhaps better suited to Garmin.
Last season was eye brow raising good.

It would stink, and 90% of my cyclesenses are twitching, but I can't shake the thought how convenient this is for Sky.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Wasn't it his dream move to Sky?

I hope he didn't over-stretch himself to get there. It feels like Sky have not been confident enough to use him now he has signed - and that's odd.

Let's hope there's no anomalies and that he is just ill and injured.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Anyhoo, I was going to leave geeks with this tonight.

With the season drawing to a close and the long winter stretching out ahead of us.
Before we get stuck into old video footage, what technological advancements would you like to see in pro cycling, from your armchair.

I'll take the easy one:-

Helmet-cams, or even better fork-cams.
I'd love to be watching the TV and have occasional riders eye views of the action.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Let's hope there's no anomalies

Yes, although as Stat alluded, his run of 'form' last spring was eyebrow raising. Probably as eye brow raising as anything i've seen since watching from '87.

In his defence, if you're good at that time of year you can rack up the wins

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Yes, although as Stat alluded, his run of 'form' last spring was eyebrow raising. Probably as eye brow raising as anything i've seen since watching from '87.

In his defence, if you're good at that time of year you can rack up the wins

Surprising but not in the league of

- the' look'
- Rasmussen
- landis' resurrection
- any tour of Turkey winner!

Perhaps no more suspicious than a 42 year old first time grand tour winner.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Surprising but not in the league of

- the' look'
- Rasmussen
- landis' resurrection
- any tour of Turkey winner!

Perhaps no more suspicious than a 42 year old first time grand tour winner.
It is something non favourites are going to have to put up with for a generation.
That's not me saying 'oh he's British he must be innocent', to be honest I wouldn't be surprised if he dabbled.

Anyway isn't your Sportive soon?

Last edited:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Well it's confirmed...

ORICA-GreenEDGE is thrilled to announce that Adam and Simon Yates have signed their neo-pro contracts with the Australian outfit. The identical twins have had an outstanding year underscored by their success at the Tour de l’Avenir and Tour of Britain. Unsurprisingly, the British duo fielded a number of offers, ultimately deciding to join the professional ranks with the GreenEDGE family.

http://greenedgecycling.com/news/adam-and-simon-yates-sign-neo-pro-contracts-with-orica-greenedge

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Fantastic, thanks! I was waiting for the b'twin triban 3 red to come back into stock, but it looks like it has gone forever.

I'll keep an eye on this (and hope its still on offer come next payday!.
I've just given it a second look and read through then compared it to their £500-£900 deals, and it looks almost to good to be true.
Not wishing to piss on your chips, but buying a bike on t'internet without trying it first esp for a first time bike doesn't seem right.

I suggest you go a try any bike you can and get the comprehensive geometry on it.
They'll never be completely the same but you should be able to get close to what you need.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Anyhoo, I was going to leave geeks with this tonight.

With the season drawing to a close and the long winter stretching out ahead of us.
Before we get stuck into old video footage, what technological advancements would you like to see in pro cycling, from your armchair.

I'll take the easy one:-

Helmet-cams, or even better fork-cams.
I'd love to be watching the TV and have occasional riders eye views of the action.

Multiple cameras so you could switch between groups. Or even switch between two races.

Ability to watch on a 3G signal at the side of a remote road while watching said race.

Hear the team radio audio like they do in F1.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Fantastic, thanks! I was waiting for the b'twin triban 3 red to come back into stock, but it looks like it has gone forever.

I'll keep an eye on this (and hope its still on offer come next payday!.

I've just given it a second look and read through then compared it to their £500-£900 deals, and it looks almost to good to be true.
Not wishing to piss on your chips, but buying a bike on t'internet without trying it first esp for a first time bike doesn't seem right.

I suggest you go a try any bike you can and get the comprehensive geometry on it.
They'll never be completely the same but you should be able to get close to what you need.

Obviously I wouldn't want to put anyone off going to their Local Bike Shop, it is the best way to try a few bikes and see what the subtle differences are.

That said, if that's not possible, internet retailers like Wiggle do let you test the bike for 30 days and you can return it free, if you don't get on with it. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/h/option/30testride

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I'd like a chip on every rider's bike that could transmit a to a GPS. That would then enable me to track on screen where every rider was on the route.

Then, when I clicked on a rider I'd be able to jump to their helmet cam to see where they are.

On the screen I'd then be able to see which riders were just in front or behind them, using the same format as employed in arcade games.

Failing that, can we have a dog on a bike wearing a wooly scarf.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'd like a chip on every rider's bike that could transmit a to a GPS. That would then enable me to track on screen where every rider was on the route.

Then, when I clicked on a rider I'd be able to jump to their helmet cam to see where they are.

On the screen I'd then be able to see which riders were just in front or behind them, using the same format as employed in arcade games.

Failing that, can we have a dog on a bike wearing a wooly scarf.

I'm loving that idea!!!

Would it be a Seagulls scarf though!?

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
One stage is a TT not sure which one

Giro Entourage Arrivals
Tuesday 6 May - Thursday 8 May

Team Presentation
Thursday 8 May
A Public Event in Belfast