Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
Wow

That was one of the most idiotic sprinting moves I have seen. What's the injury damage to Cav and the rest?

Late joiner here. Brighton STH living in London and a cycling commuter oop here. Also do quite a few laps of Richmond Park. Some on the new time trial steed. It's a beauty!

Are you lot on Strava? Been following a bit but mainly on Bike Radar for cycling stuff...... Off to Majorca on Wednesday for a bit of a swim, bike, run! A little worried.

:ohmy:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hi [MENTION=15682]ShandyH[/MENTION]

It's occurred to me, we haven't actually done our Giro tips.
I love the fantasy league but now everyone is a little coy about the bigger picture.

I think it's easier to say who won't win, I think that's Basso.
Scarponi may also just miss out, a failure if you expect to win.

So it's, J-Rod for me.

I see Frank Schleck and Scarponi on the podium, with Roman Kreuziger and NSC's finest will be knocking on the door.

I'm not just saying that re Ryder.
He was Mr Consistent in the Ardennes, and never lets the team down when he's solo leader.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

I love the fantasy league but now everyone is a little coy about the bigger picture.

So it's, J-Rod for me.

I see Frank Schleck and Scarponi on the podium, with Roman Kreuziger and NSC's finest will be knocking on the door.

He was Mr Consistent in the Ardennes, and never lets the team down when he's solo leader.

I have to say, I'm at a loss as to who is going to win this Giro. Could be keeping an extra transfer in the bag each day to quickly switch GC contenders around.

Speaking of which, just done my TTT transfers and it was a nightmare. No idea who is going to finish where and then there's another sprint stage the following day!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I have to say, I'm at a loss as to who is going to win this Giro. Could be keeping an extra transfer in the bag each day to quickly switch GC contenders around.

Speaking of which, just done my TTT transfers and it was a nightmare. No idea who is going to finish where and then there's another sprint stage the following day!

TTT predictions first then :

1. Greenedge
2. Garmin
3. Sky

BMC, Liquigas & Lampre for the next spots, but not sure what order. Obviously BMC is up in the air though because of Phinney's injury.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say Basso will surprise everyone and ride into form and the pink jersey to take his final Grand Tour victory of his career. There, I've said it.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
"Sod the excruciating pain in my ankle, I'm getting over that finish line today come hell or high water !" :rolleyes:

03-DSC_4756-775.jpg

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

So it's, J-Rod for me.

Very much this, I had a plan that I was happy with. Then Phinney crashed and I thought he was definitely out, so I revised my plan and I thought this team was even better, but now maybe Phinney is alright so I do not know what to do.

TTT predictions first then :

1. Greenedge
2. Garmin
3. Sky

BMC, Liquigas & Lampre for the next spots, but not sure what order. Obviously BMC is up in the air though because of Phinney's injury.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say Basso will surprise everyone and ride into form and the pink jersey to take his final Grand Tour victory of his career. There, I've said it.

I did write a whole load of thoughts on these subjects but I am keeping my theories quiet, this league is getting competitive now. What I will say is that Basso will blow up spectacularly on one of the mountain stages having been in the running for most of the Giro, dropping him out of contention and in to retirement.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I did write a whole load of thoughts on these subjects but I am keeping my theories quiet, this league is getting competitive now.

Remind me never to play you at anything, when actual money is involved :lol:

I've gone large on BMC, Garmin, & GreenEdge.
Hedging bets with Sky & Astana.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Remind me never to play you at anything, when actual money is involved :lol:

I've gone large on BMC, Garmin, & GreenEdge.
Hedging bets with Sky & Astana.

I've changed my mind, we all know which teams are likely to go well so I'm not really giving anything away. Plus, I do enjoy a nice friendly chat about this stuff and it is only a game.

1. Garmin
2. Sky
(very, very close between these two, thats Sky and Greenedge by the way)
3. Greenedge
4. BMC (some indiscipline will cost them seconds somewhere along the line)
5. Liquigas (great team work will be better than the sum of their parts)
6. Radio Schleck Nissan Leopard Trek etc etc (they will have to slow down for Frank)

My team is still not picked and I will be leaving it as late as possible due to all the injuries, but I will definitely have two each from Sky, Garmin and Greenedge. Probably one each from the others I have mentioned.

On the overall Basso will blow up spectacularly at some point in the mountains, dropping him right out of contention. I feel Cunego will be up there and ahead of Scarponi, cannot see Purito lasting the pace for three weeks and Kreuziger will podium but will make some idiotic attack too far down a mountain at some point and will pay the price. Frank Schleck is the mystery to me, he could win it but I feel he will not go for it as much as he should do.

1. Cunego
2. Schleck
3. Kreuziger

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
On the overall Basso will blow up spectacularly at some point in the mountains, dropping him right out of contention. I feel Cunego will be up there and ahead of Scarponi, cannot see Purito lasting the pace for three weeks and Kreuziger will podium but will make some idiotic attack too far down a mountain at some point and will pay the price. Frank Schleck is the mystery to me, he could win it but I feel he will not go for it as much as he should do.

1. Cunego
2. Schleck
3. Kreuziger

I'd been thinking so much about the day to day, that I hadn't really given overall much thought.
It's occurring to me that, what is and should be an incredibly open and even race (I'd definitely love to add honest) really does only have a handful of favourites.

Cunego over Scarponi is brave.

I too think Frank will do something, I have him in the 'Basso' seat, wily, tactical, plenty of Grand Tour experience. Basso just isn't the racer he was, before during and after his ban.

The list of potential winners should be as long as your arm (***At this point I stopped and properly studied the start list***) there's feck all riding :lol:

I'll stay with J-Rod but won't be surprised if Frank does him.
And will now push NSC's own up into 3rd.
Roman will stay in my team as back up.

The Italian pressure will get to Scarponi (he must really think it's an 'easy win').
In the absence of an Euskaltel rider I'd heard of, I'm going to promote Gadret into the mix, after last year.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How long would a soccerballist be out injured for, with this:-

AsYA5RECIAAoO-M.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I will never describe a current/future Brighton player as a Soccerballist, that's everyone else.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Mmm interesting. I'd not really thought about green edge doing that well.
I'm working with the 'new team need a sponsor' theory.

They won't be riding for GC, over the next couple of years, so it's stage wins only.
The biggest advertising stage is the TTT.
Therefore drill that until you become better than the sum of your parts, and you end up with potentially 9 advertising hoardings splashed all over the continental press.

Plus their train yesterday looked the best of a pretty poor show.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I'm working with the 'new team need a sponsor' theory.

They won't be riding for GC, over the next couple of years, so it's stage wins only.
The biggest advertising stage is the TTT.
Therefore drill that until you become better than the sum of your parts, and you end up with potentially 9 advertising hoardings splashed all over the continental press.

Plus their train yesterday looked the best of a pretty poor show.

Orica are a pretty big mining company in Oz.

I reckon they are still a good shout for tomorrow though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Orica are a pretty big mining company in Oz.

I reckon they are still a good shout for tomorrow though.
They've only been on board a couple of weeks.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I know, but it makes the need a lot less to be splashed over the front of the euro-nationals.

Meanwhile, whatever the team name is, they are very well drilled TTT's where they can control all the variables. I'd be very surprised if they don't make top 3 tomorrow, and as I said earlier, I think they'll even win it.

All transferred up now. 2 from each of what I hope will be the top 4 teams tomorrow + a cheap star man sprinter to save on transfers later.

Edit: I haven't forgotten the original tip of getting in jersey holders wherever possible too :D

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The question is:-

Will all conquering Sam listen to us no marks?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here