Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'll say one thing, I've learnt more about riders and form since I've done this fantasy league thing than I ever knew in all the years I've been a once a year armchair TdF fan.

I still know next to bugger all of course, but with all this research I've been doing I rarely take my anorak off even indoors these days. Bloody Pantani has turned me into a wanna be Geek ! :glare:

:jester:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm not convinced I'm learning anything, the scoreboard is shouting that, loud and clear!
That's says more about me and how I take on board info (or not in my case).
I've realised before Fantasy, other than Le Tour, my knowledge has always been with hindsight, written in articles and magazines. I've certainly never watched so much before, gawd bless sports-livez.

I reckon it's all going to come together in a perfect storm of facts that will have me picking the first nine, every day in July :lol:.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I'm still failing in my knowledge. Apart from the top 4/5 of each style of rider (sprint, TT mountain) then I'm screwed. The Giro has probably taught my more than I've learnt in the past 5 years of following the sport.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A fella rode past my house as I was just popping out yesterday.

I had a replica Brighton shirt on (albeit the retro one)
He had a full replica Sky kit on.

Obviously, in theory I'm in no position to comment, not being a pro footballer.
But it still looks really weird for cyclists to do that, it ticks all my snobby, JCL, looking down on you boxes.
It's so wrong, I know, but with 10,000's of different jerseys why buy that?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Seeing that makes me think it's just a Team Sky, JCL reaction, akin to Utd shirts in Churchill Sq.
BBox is cool.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I'll say one thing, I've learnt more about riders and form since I've done this fantasy league thing than I ever knew in all the years I've been a once a year armchair TdF fan.

I still know next to bugger all of course, but with all this research I've been doing I rarely take my anorak off even indoors these days. Bloody Pantani has turned me into a wanna be Geek ! :glare:

You're no wannabe my friend, you are a fully fledged geek by now, sorry.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
A fella rode past my house as I was just popping out yesterday.

I had a replica Brighton shirt on (albeit the retro one)
He had a full replica Sky kit on.

Obviously, in theory I'm in no position to comment, not being a pro footballer.
But it still looks really weird for cyclists to do that, it ticks all my snobby, JCL, looking down on you boxes.
It's so wrong, I know, but with 10,000's of different jerseys why buy that?

It is funny how we view these things isn't it. I would wear an old team jersey (retro merino Molteni jersey :drool:) but would not wear a current one. Also you will never catch me wearing an over tight polka dot jersey when I am a fat, slow as f***, leisure rider, how cannot get up any hill to save my life. A jersey such as this, is earned not purchased*.

Whereas, I am more than happy to wear the latest Albion kit, if only to matches or whilst playing football.

* This rant has I believe been aired at least once on this forum, but if it was worth saying once, it is certainly worth saying again.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
It is funny how we view these things isn't it. I would wear an old team jersey (retro merino Molteni jersey :drool:) but would not wear a current one. Also you will never catch me wearing an over tight polka dot jersey when I am a fat, slow as f***, leisure rider, how cannot get up any hill to save my life. A jersey such as this, is earned not purchased*.

Whereas, I am more than happy to wear the latest Albion kit, if only to matches or whilst playing football.

* This rant has I believe been aired at least once on this forum, but if it was worth saying once, it is certainly worth saying again.

You've opened up a complete can of worms with this one. There has been an explosion in people cycling since I was racing but I'm still of the opinion that wearing a complete trade team kit is extremely naff. Plain shorts and a trade jersey can be just about got away with. Better to stick with something cool and retro (e.g Z, Reynolds etc.) but again not matching (colour co-ordination allowed). Matching kit only allowed when wearing your own team's kit.

Basically, the amount of matching kit should be proportional to how much of it you are paid to wear.

This is a good, if slightly American-biased, article. Its like having a 2 page summary of my Dad's many rants about 'new age' cyclists! -

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

No. 51 is brilliant.

As you can see, I disagree with the second part of rule 17! I agree with 27, but disagree with 28 - black socks are just wrong!

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I also quite fancy a Europcar top, but only because I'm probably Thomas Voeckler's biggest non-French fan.

As for Sky, Garmin, etc... It would feel like wearing a Chelsea shirt.

KoM, Sprint or GC shirts are a big no-no, unless your cycle club do their own and you've won it on merit.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
A couple of years ago I saw someone in a World Champion jersey at a Herne Hill novice track session. I had to use all my power to not rip it off him and make him eat it. I regret that now.

The unwritten rule is never ride in colours you don't deserve, be it team kit (retro jerseys ok but not full kit) or winner's jerseys. I'm still slightly embarrassed by the UCI stripes on my bike that I shouldn't have and didn't put there!

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
Hi [MENTION=15682]ShandyH[/MENTION]

It's occurred to me, we haven't actually done our Giro tips.
I love the fantasy league but now everyone is a little coy about the bigger picture.

I think it's easier to say who won't win, I think that's Basso.
Scarponi may also just miss out, a failure if you expect to win.

So it's, J-Rod for me.

I see Frank Schleck and Scarponi on the podium, with Roman Kreuziger and NSC's finest will be knocking on the door.

I'm not just saying that re Ryder.
He was Mr Consistent in the Ardennes, and never lets the team down when he's solo leader.

Hello!

Sorry for radio silence. Been a manic couple of days getting ready at home and work for a holiday. Will try to add some predictions post race but that may be too little, too late!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Good forbid you ever find yourself hanging around outside a team bus, like a 12 year old girl waiting for One Direction (are they cool?) whilst hoping for a glimpse of Thor. Then screaming like a big gay goose when he does appear.

TourofBritain122-1.jpg

Obviously that was the bloke next to me!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
R&R holiday from work this week, mainly to get the allotment all up to speed, but it just so happens to coincide with The Giro, fancy that ! :)

Just watched some of the Four Days of Dunkirk whilst waiting for today's live Giro coverage. It being Dunkirk and it being an especially wet spring, I was just wondering, do they just take their 'winter hacks' for this race and save the decent gear for the proper races ? :lol:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Well if that's the case then I know who to send the bill to for my anorak then don't I :lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I really like the much maligned TTT.
Probably a throw back to Garmin's approach in 2008 (?).
Knowing how tricky riding it is, riding as a team, add in all the little nuances, and technicalities, I think it's great.
Assuming it's not so long, or late in the race, as to completely hamper the overall, I like.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here