Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
Okay, a friend of mine's Dad is selling his old Holdsworth Avanti (reynolds 531 frame and forks) circa 1982. Think he wants about £150 for it. Condition is meant to be pretty good, although possibly a bit of rust under one of the brake cables.

I'm quite tempted, I think it has lugs on the back of the frame so I could put rack on the back for a bit of touring - just not sure if there is clearance for mudguards?

What do people think? I'd probably be looking to upgrade parts as I go along so I can also use it as a winter trainer. Certainly a bike with pedigree I think?

View attachment 42036

I'm fairly certain that exact bike is currently parked under the stairs in my office building!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Okay, tapping up the great and the good again for some more advice.

I'm getting more and more tempted with the idea of buying a frame and building up a bike myself. This is probably extreme folly on my part, I've not changed out a bottom bracket before, and to be fair never seem to have a huge amount of spare time, however I love the idea of putting together my own bike and having an intimate knowledge of every part.

Looking at frames at the moment, possible something like this which I can get for about £50:

Screen Shot 2013-04-26 at 09.27.36.png

Any advice the CG can throw at me?....don't do it......do it......check this site first........just buy a complete bike and upgrade components as you need them........I'm spending far too much time looking at bikes rather than working right now!!

it is a rather frightening prospect to be honest! http://www.ebay.com/gds/build-a-road-bike-from-its-frame-up-a-beginners-guide/10000000000946269/g.html

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I'm getting more and more tempted with the idea of buying a frame and building up a bike myself. This is probably extreme folly on my part, I've not changed out a bottom bracket before, and to be fair never seem to have a huge amount of spare time, however I love the idea of putting together my own bike and having an intimate knowledge of every part.

Looking at frames at the moment, possible something like this which I can get for about £50:

View attachment 42070

Any advice the CG can throw at me?....don't do it......do it......check this site first........just buy a complete bike and upgrade components as you need them........I'm spending far too much time looking at bikes rather than working right now!!

it is a rather frightening prospect to be honest!

DO IT, DO IT.

You should be able to manage with general tools, there's plenty of parts about, what's stopping you?

These chaps are very good, plus loads of inspiration.
TBH I'd rather shop here and the 'radar classifieds than ebay.

Retrobike | Retro, Vintage and Classic Mountain, Road and BMX bikes

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

View attachment 42070

it is a rather frightening prospect to be honest! http://www.ebay.com/gds/build-a-road-bike-from-its-frame-up-a-beginners-guide/10000000000946269/g.html

The intimate knowledge you mention is the real beauty I think. Very satisfying and reassuring to know your bike inside out. Not that I've ever built one from scratch myself but I've done all the work and upgrades on my own bike and really enjoyed it, despite some of the frustrations along the way.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
At 6.35 I set off on a ride with this profile (had put this up before) by way of stepping up my training for the L2B:

alltheclimbs.jpg

The second climb was up the A20. The latter part is a perfect training road. Great surface, wide and a constant gradient. Just select your gear and go. Nice and long.

The third climb is the 1 in 6.

Did all the climbs without stopping in a total of 2h 44m which is a lot better than I was expecting. Might make it my regular weekend ride after the L2B is out the way.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Just caught the last km of Romandie at half time. Look up the highlights if you can, no spoilers.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Just caught the last km of Romandie at half time. Look up the highlights if you can, no spoilers.

Just watched the last 15 km live with Albion on the radio. Good racing and yes, well worth checking out the highlights. Hope you're having a good one up there. Atmosphere sounds great on the radio. Hope the jobsworth stewards we normally get up there aren't giving you too much grief.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Just watched the last 15 km live with Albion on the radio. Good racing and yes, well worth checking out the highlights. Hope you're having a good one up there. Atmosphere sounds great on the radio. Hope the jobsworth stewards we normally get up there aren't giving you too much grief.

I'm not there for once. Just moved house and money is tight and with a Friday night trip to Bolton coming up I decided to save my cash for that one. Oh and Leeds is a terrible away day, imo.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm not there for once. Just moved house and money is tight and with a Friday night trip to Bolton coming up I decided to save my cash for that one. Oh and Leeds is a terrible away day, imo.
When I was there, I had a few of quid on Butters scoring the first goal of the second half @ 33-1.

Happy days, that towering header right in front of me nearly covered the weekend.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Agreed. Elland Road is massively over rated. I've cut all away games out since Christmas because of finances but if it's Palace on the Friday I'll almost certainly be going. If it's Bolton I'll have to dip out, same if it turns out to be Forest.

Oh oh, penalty for Leeds and Upson red carded :cry:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here