Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I agree to some extent, I still think it is being blown out of proportion by the media but Wiggins just seems to love a chat. There may be a case for not even entering Wiggins for the Tour team. Him and Froome have not been in the same team yet this season, as far as I know, could this upset the balance of what has been a very successful team so far this year.
I was going to say, I can't imagine Dave B letting it get out of hand, but it seems a little bit late for that.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Hello cycling geeks!

I'm after some advice on road bikes. Don't shoot me, I ride and race DH / Enduro, but I'm looking for a road bike to add to the collection.

In the UK I had a long term borrow of a TCR (it was a test bike from work) which I loved riding around, would do Woodingdean to Worthing and back or up over the hill, down the A27, through East Chiltington, up over Ditchling and down through the town to the beach and back to Woodingdean. Loved that loop and got hooked on road riding. I'm still 9th on Strava on the Rodean to Ovingdean cycle path ;-)

Last week in St Johann I did a ride through the mountains on a borrowed Scott CR1 and decided I need a road bike in my life.

I don't have massive spending power so I'm looking at something like a TCR Comp 3, can someone recommend a bike in that price range?

I'm not interested in racing or shaving my legs, it's purely for fitness and getting the miles in, probably about 60-80km rides. I want something quite light weight and small, the bikes I borrowed were both 52s.

Last edited:

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Hello cycling geeks!

I'm after some advice on road bikes. Don't shoot me, I ride and race DH / Enduro, but I'm looking for a road bike to add to the collection.

In the UK I had a long term borrow of a TCR (it was a test bike from work) which I loved riding around, would do Woodingdean to Worthing and back or up over the hill, down the A27, through East Chiltington, up over Ditchling and down through the town to the beach and back to Woodingdean. Loved that loop and got hooked on road riding. I'm still 9th on Strava on the Rodean to Ovingdean cycle path ;-)

Last week in St Johann I did a ride through the mountains on a borrowed Scott CR1 and decided I need a road bike in my life.

I don't have massive spending power so I'm looking at something like a TCR Comp 3, can someone recommend a bike in that price range?

I'm not interested in racing or shaving my legs, it's purely for fitness and getting the miles in, probably about 60-80km rides. I want something quite light weight and small, the bikes I borrowed were both 52s.

What price range you looking at Randy? In all honesty, anything less than £500 is a false economy. You're best bet would be to try to get something in the £600-800 price range as you've been fortunate enough to ride some pretty slick bikes.

Can you make the most of a ride-to-work scheme? I got my steed through that, meaning my £1100 steed cost £700. You're meant to use it for 50% riding to work, but I don't think I even reached 1%. lol

Completely off topic, just seen this video posted by road.cc.
[video=youtube;dNFaAqS2f18]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded& v=dNFaAqS2f18[/video]

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Thanks for the reply.

£1300 ish, like the TCR Comp 3, I've ridden one and enjoyed it, but before shelling out it would be nice to know my options as I know nothing about road bikes and their components so wouldn't know if the Tiagra stuff will hold out.

That video, what a plonker.... I got knocked off once on the roundabout by the Pier, not a nice feeling at all :(

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Best to worst...

Shimano

• Dura-Ace Di2 [9070] (11 speed electronic)
  • Dura-Ace [9000] (11 speed)
  • Dura-Ace Track [7710] (NJS-approved, which is a requirement of all bicycle components used in professional Keirin racing in Japan)
  • Ultegra Di2 [6770] (10 speed electronic)
  • Ultegra [6700] (10 speed)
  • 105 [5700] (10 speed)
  • Tiagra [4600] (10 speed, 9 speed on older models)
  • Sora [3500] (9 speed, 8 speed on older models)
  • Claris [2400] (8 speed)

Campagnola

• Super Record EPS (11 speed electronic)
  • Record EPS (11 speed electronic)
  • Athena EPS (11 speed electronic)
  • Super Record (11 speed)
  • Record (11 speed)
  • Chorus (11 speed)
  • Athena (11 speed)
  • Centaur (10 speed)
  • Veloce (10 speed)

If you're splashing out £1300 I'd expect to get at least 105 groupset (maybe Ultegra if you go for an aluminum frame). In that price range you will either get entry level carbon or higher level aluminum. I've got a Scott Speedster S30 (now a Limited due to a cracked frame under warranty). Scott customer service were immense (I'm sure there is a picture in here from about June 2012 of the crack if you're bored and want to have a rummage).

The best way to know if a bike is right for you is to ride it (same as MTBing). Oh, and I won't look down at you for using SPDs on your road bike, lol.

http://www.thetristore.com/product/focus-mares-ax-1-0-2013.aspx Looks like a good bike at that price.

Personally I've never been a fan of Giant bikes, and for no rational reason either.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I'd have thought [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] would be all over this question. Someone wants a hand spending £1300 and no sign of anyone.

Oh, and how the hell has the Giro come around so quickly?!?!?!

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Oh, and I won't look down at you for using SPDs on your road bike, lol

So my Vans Warner SPD shoes are a no go on the road bike?

1258548717713-rq5hy770hd24-399-75.jpg

lol, thanks for in info.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yay proper money

:rave: punk: :rave: :vuvu:

I'll be back.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
On the other end of the spectrum, I've been looking at an Australian road bike by Ramondo Bicycles, I think its a Japanese steel frame (not sure if cromo or not), and Japanese crank, rims, hubs, headset. Someone is looking around £120. Not sure if it's worth tarting up and using, or whether it's not far above plumbers tubing! Maybe [MENTION=4800]Tyrone Biggums[/MENTION] might be able to shed some light?

IMG_2808.jpgIMG_2812.jpgIMG_2816.jpgIMG_2818.jpgIMG_2822.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hello [MENTION=27162]RandyWanger[/MENTION] :wave:

A couple of quick questions:-
The £1300 is that all in, or just the bike? As your new steed will need accessorising.

I'd image you'll have a track pump with gauge already, fingers crossed you have a 'proper' helmet not some storm trooper knock off or worst still a full face jobbie. You will need to buy pedals, and you are NOT wearing those shoes. :lol:
Also I'm afraid you'll have to man up and get some lycra.

Ok now it's bike time.

For upwards of a grand we're at the cross roads of loads of questions, mainly centred around:-

style v substance

As said it's entry level carbon or high level aluminum.
But also very good generic brands or pedigree, usually Italian, brands. (who obviously trade on that pedigree).

Either way you can stick Giant & Tiagra up your arse :lol:

Best Road Bikes Under £1,000 - Updated April 2013 - BikeRadar
Scott for me, from that list.

Here's a pretty snobby, and Trek :lol: list from Evans.
As you can see it's a big old mix of carbon & aluminium, 105, Tiagra, & Veloce.

Road Bikes | Mens & Womens Road Racing Bikes | Evans Cycles
I've always had a soft spot for Felt

If you give us some more pointers we'll be able to whittle down the search and then you can buy something completely different.
Probably the Giant with Tiagra :lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Blimey I thought that was funnier than it is :lol:

The price you pay for writing a reply over the course of an hour or so.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yes, hi [MENTION=27162]RandyWanger[/MENTION]

Some of the brands trading mainly on the internet offer some good value.

The entry level Canyon Ultimate AL 7.0, with full Shimano 105 looks like a lot of bike for £1200. Their Roadlite AL 6.0 also has 105 and is £860. http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3073

Vitus from Chain Reaction also do an entry level carbon bike for £1080. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=81025

Also take a look at Planet X, they've got an SRAM Rival carbon bike for £1000. Some good deals to be had, but do the research/read the reviews. http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLPWHT/planet_x_pro_carbon_sram_rival_franko_bianco_road_bike

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What a bargain that is! What gorgeous bikes De Rosa make, that really is a beauty. Undoubtedly a cut above more mainstream brands.

I think that's Wanger done and dusted if he has any sense! :lolol:
It certainly has stopped me looking for anything else.

Until the perameters change, I defy anybody to find a better bike, under budget.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here