Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
OK, how is it that the same mountain is a Cat 4 twice, but not the third time?

profile-01.jpg

Oh, and HOLY GOOGLE!!!! Danny Pate still rides in Grand Tours. I thought he was about 104!!

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
A retrospective on Marco Pantani has just appeared on my '5 Live Sports Specials' podcast feed, I image it'll be on I-player too.

A seperate Giro thread will hamper this threads chances of being #1.
How intrested in the Giro is the wider NSC comunity?

Agreed. We're playing a numbers game now!

I'm struggling with my giro team, they always mix up the stages early and I can't pick who'll be up there. By the time I've worked things out, 1066 will already be 200 points ahead!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Now we have the team, for betting purposes, who this time is Sky's Chris Froome runner up to BW's win.

D. Cataldo - 300/1
S. Henao - 40/1
C. Knees
D. Pate
S. Puccio
K. Siutsou - 300/1
R. Uran - 80/1
B. Wiggins - Evens
X. Zandio

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Basso out of the Giro due to a "cyst on his buttock". Improves Sir Wiggo's chances a great deal I would think.

I'm assuming that's tongue in cheek? Basso is further over the hill than Evans I reckon. I think I read somewhere the other day that he was still designated Lampre leader though, which quite frankly is a total insult to Scarponi if true.

Edity: Scrub the above. It's been a very long day and I don't know why I had Basso down as a Lampre rider and not Liquigaz :facepalm: Oh, the bit about him being over the hill still stands though.

Last edited:

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I'm assuming that's tongue in cheek? Basso is further over the hill than Evans I reckon. I think I read somewhere the other day that he was still designated Lampre leader though, which quite frankly is a total insult to Scarponi if true.

No, it is absolutely true!!

Two-time Giro d'Italia winner Ivan Basso has withdrawn from the race two days before it starts in Naples.

The 35-year-old Italian, who was expected to be one of Sir Bradley Wiggins's rivals to win the three-week race, has a cyst on a buttock.

"It was clear there was no chance of Ivan pedalling during the next days," a Team Cannondale statement said.

Basso won the Giro in 2006 and 2010, while Wiggins is aiming to become the first British winner of the race.

"My morale is shattered," said Basso. "But the first thing to do is take care of this problem and come back right away to prepare for the Tour de France and Spanish Vuelta."

Fellow Italian Damiano Caruso has been drafted in to the nine-man Cannondale squad to replace Basso.

BBC Sport - Sir Bradley Wiggins rival Ivan Basso out of Giro dItalia 2013

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
No, it is absolutely true!!

Two-time Giro d'Italia winner Ivan Basso has withdrawn from the race two days before it starts in Naples.

The 35-year-old Italian, who was expected to be one of Sir Bradley Wiggins's rivals to win the three-week race, has a cyst on a buttock.

"It was clear there was no chance of Ivan pedalling during the next days," a Team Cannondale statement said.

Basso won the Giro in 2006 and 2010, while Wiggins is aiming to become the first British winner of the race.

"My morale is shattered," said Basso. "But the first thing to do is take care of this problem and come back right away to prepare for the Tour de France and Spanish Vuelta."

Fellow Italian Damiano Caruso has been drafted in to the nine-man Cannondale squad to replace Basso.

BBC Sport - Sir Bradley Wiggins rival Ivan Basso out of Giro dItalia 2013

Well at least they didn't put - [one of] main rivals. :lolol:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
On the other end of the spectrum, I've been looking at an Australian road bike by Ramondo Bicycles, I think its a Japanese steel frame (not sure if cromo or not), and Japanese crank, rims, hubs, headset. Someone is looking around £120. Not sure if it's worth tarting up and using, or whether it's not far above plumbers tubing! Maybe [MENTION=4800]Tyrone Biggums[/MENTION] might be able to shed some light?

View attachment 42244View attachment 42245View attachment 42246View attachment 42247View attachment 42248

I don't know much about Ramondo to be honest. They will just be a smaller South Australian outfit who bought the frames and components and decaled them in shop. There was a prominent Cycle company in Adelaide called Ricardo however I've never seen Ramondo mentioned in the same breath.

£120 seems a bit pricey to be honest.

A bike like that would probably go for way under $100 here if it sold and I've only seen a couple come up for sale. £45-50 would be a more reasonable price in my opinion.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
2 x Brits
2 x Italians
1 x Aussie
1 x Yank
1 x French
1 x Czech
1 x German.

Fingers crossed not to many changes through the first few stages.
Taken a big gamble that Sky aren't going to win the TTT.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
2 x Brits
2 x Italians
1 x Aussie
1 x Yank
1 x French
1 x Czech
1 x German.

Fingers crossed not to many changes through the first few stages.
Taken a big gamble that Sky aren't going to win the TTT.

Just removed my thoughts for the first stage, cards and tactics close to the chest for the first grand tour of the season. Did I win the Giro last year, or did 1066 win that as well?

Just checked, he did win

1. 1066
2. IL
3. Me

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just removed my thoughts for the first stage, cards and tactics close to the chest for the first grand tour of the season. Did I win the Giro last year, or did 1066 win that as well?
I don't want to burst your bubble P, but I don't think anyone is changing their team on your say so!!

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I don't want to burst your bubble P, but I don't think anyone is changing their team on your say so!!

:lolol: Of course not, but I've gone slightly leftfield. Though some of us could be helped by copying other people, eh Stat. :flounce:

So my team:

4 x Italians
1 x Manxmen
1 x Dutch
1 x French
1 x German
1 x Yankish

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Not good timing, but a reference to those 'religious festivals' in Spain when animals get launched from bell towers. Hopefully consigned to history books now.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Not good timing, but a reference to those 'religious festivals' in Spain when animals get launched from bell towers. Hopefully consigned to history books now.

Ah OK, that makes sense.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
:lolol: Of course not, but I've gone slightly leftfield. Though some of us could be helped by copying other people, eh Stat. :flounce:

So my team:

4 x Italians
1 x Manxmen
1 x Dutch
1 x French
1 x German
1 x Yankish
I bet we have at least 3 the same, unlucky!!

The Manx, German & Yank.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here