Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm quite pleased with myself that I picked a team on Monday or Tuesday I think it was and have not tinkered since. Had a quick check back this morning, all are apparently riding and so all are staying. It reads :

3 Italians
1 French
1 German
1 Manx
1 Spaniard
1 Slovenian
1 Russian

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm quite pleased with myself that I picked a team on Monday or Tuesday I think it was and have not tinkered since. Had a quick check back this morning, all are apparently riding and so all are staying. It reads :

3 Italians
1 French
1 German
1 Manx
1 Spaniard
1 Slovenian
1 Russian

You're up early!!!.

I had a plan, ran out of money, threw in too many 3's.
Pretty much same old same old.

I'm going for a less transfer policy, then strategic big changes.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
You're up early!!!.

I had a plan, ran out of money, threw in too many 3's.
Pretty much same old same old.

I'm going for a less transfer policy, then strategic big changes.

Seeing as I wasn't about last night I was up in panic mode to see what silly transfer cut off time they had. Only joking, but sadly, with so much time to cut off time I couldn't resist some last minute research and now I'm going to make one change with a slight nod to the TTT. The slippery slope has started already.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Just got up, thrown my team together and going out on the bike before the game today, my team is mainly based on popular riders/form guide..:lol:. Beautiful day by the looks of things.

Thanks for advice I have had for getting myself a steel steed to use as my everyday/winter trainer/light touring bike. In the end I opted for a 1981 (or around then) Holdsworth Special which I have paid £200 for delivered to my door. Not sure if I've overpaid a bit (thoughts ???), but I doubt by much, it does have one small ding in the top tube (shown below), but it is all original paintwork and decals, 531 frame. Lovely colour, should serve me well, all new cables, housing etc.

Think I'm going to be very happy with it.

photo 2.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 1.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Seeing as I wasn't about last night I was up in panic mode to see what silly transfer cut off time they had. Only joking, but sadly, with so much time to cut off time I couldn't resist some last minute research and now I'm going to make one change with a slight nod to the TTT. The slippery slope has started already.

I've just realised I accidently have a 'lesser' team in poll position for the TTT, but I'm going to let it run.
I do think my yank will run the table, in Team Stat.

Just got up, thrown my team together and going out on the bike before the game today, my team is mainly based on popular riders/form guide..:lol:. Beautiful day by the looks of things.

Thanks for advice I have had for getting myself a steel steed to use as my everyday/winter trainer/light touring bike. In the end I opted for a 1981 (or around then) Holdsworth Special which I have paid £200 for delivered to my door. Not sure if I've overpaid a bit (thoughts ???), but I doubt by much, it does have one small ding in the top tube (shown below), but it is all original paintwork and decals, 531 frame. Lovely colour, should serve me well, all new cables, housing etc.

Which is all that matters.
Fingers crossed there aren't any 30+ years Holdsworth experts on this thread!

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I bet we have at least 3 the same, unlucky!!

The Manx, German & Yank.

Well the Manx and German I would expect us all to have. As for the American:

Taken a big gamble that Sky aren't going to win the TTT.

Probably a different one :wink:

3 Italians
1 French
1 German
1 Manx
1 Spaniard
1 Slovenian
1 Russian

Yes, me too. I picked mine two weeks ago when the transfers were available. Only cleared out one greyed out rider last night, and swapped one 3.0 credit rider, pretty happy with my team. I have gambled though, so this could be a disaster!

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

Today's cut off time? The extremely sensible 1:15. If I recall correctly the Giro generally runs later in the day than most other bike races, I'm sure it made me late to work at least a few times last year!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well the Manx and German I would expect us all to have. As for the American:
Probably a different one :wink:
Yes, me too. I picked mine two weeks ago when the transfers were available. Only cleared out one greyed out rider last night, and swapped one 3.0 credit rider, pretty happy with my team. I have gambled though, so this could be a disaster!

Danny Pate :ohmy: charity points, you going all out for the last place 10!

This is the season of bouncing stooopid posts, right :thumbsup:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

Looks fantastic, enjoy!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Today's cut off time? The extremely sensible 1:15. If I recall correctly the Giro generally runs later in the day than most other bike races, I'm sure it made me late to work at least a few times last year!

Makes a nice change for the cut off time to be so sensible. Usually it's silly o'clock in the morning, 6 hours before the stage/race begins for some bizarre reason.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Good work on that break again SB.

Here's my team for today:

Henao
Velverde
Gilbert
Gerrans
Martin
Kwiatkowski
Leukemans
Bentancur
Weening

Was very tempted by Nibbles but evened it out instead with Martin & Leukemans. Not sure how much Trentino took out of Nibali?

e/w bets on 3 of my team - Leukemans, Kwiatkowski & Gerrans.

Result! :banana:

Just logged in to my rarely used betting account to place a Giro bet today and discovered a higher balance than I thought. Checked back on past bets to see if I'd missed something and turns out I had gone with Martin over Gerrans. Returned £44 on £2 /ew (£4 stake) @ 16/1 :)

Alarmingly, I placed a couple of Giro GC bets a few days ago and didn't notice the balance difference, only fully clocking it today. I'm a bit worried about my state of mind though if I can't even fully remember who I've had bets on and even what riders are riding on what teams sometimes :blush: I think this fantasy game has a lot to answer for. All this research is cooking my brain.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Love that colour. One of my first ever bikes as a kid was that colour. Enjoy.

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
Looking forward to the Giro d'Italia but disappointed to find there are no highlights on ITV. After showing La Vuelta last year thought that they would follow a similar pattern. Would have thought it was due to TV rights rather than lack of interest. So does Eurosport have a similar highlights show in the evening that I can munch my Pizza over?

On the fantasy league team selection, how do you guys pick your DS riders? I have no idea who any of these guys are!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
On the fantasy league team selection, how do you guys pick your DS riders? I have no idea who any of these guys are!
That's the spirit.

Go the the most amount you can afford, click the name, google search said name, check out his wiki page, look at his palmares, then discount him in favour of someone called Dave Wingnut.

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
That's the spirit.

Go the the most amount you can afford, click the name, google search said name, check out his wiki page, look at his palmares, then discount him in favour of someone called Dave Wingnut.

Dave Wingnut? He would never be a DS rider, an out and out winner if ever i heard one. I think there is a guy in Brighton who changed his name to Sprocket, now that's a real cycling geek :)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Dave Wingnut? He would never be a DS rider, an out and out winner if ever i heard one. I think there is a guy in Brighton who changed his name to Sprocket, now that's a real cycling geek :)

There are a couple if search criteria where you can list riders in terms of current form/popularity this can give you some clues. I don't know 3/4 of the field really but it is a great way to get into the sport and amazing how you suddenly pick up the names and make mental notes when your watching.

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
I see British Eurosport are covering the Giro. I think that channel is unavailable on freesat, freeview, BT vision. Bugger!

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
I see British Eurosport are covering the Giro. I think that channel is unavailable on freesat, freeview, BT vision. Bugger!

There *might* be an internet stream somewhere...

I'm back in on the fantasy league with:
2x Italian
3x Belgian
1x Brit
1x French
1x Dutch
1x German

Not sure how I ended up with 3 Belgians!

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Boom! Cav in Pink. Superb finish from him he had to work hard for that.

Oh and 1,2 and 3 for me.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bouhani gave Blythe a working over to get on Cav's wheel.

Pretty pointless if you're still too slow in the sprint!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here