Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Bloodyhell, one of the biggest crashes you're likely to see on the run in to the stage in Tour of Turkey. Must have been a pile of 40 bikes or so. My pic of my screen doesn't do it justice, one bike must have gone 6m into the air. Hope they are all okay, a few neck braces coming out etc. they were just winding up with a km to go...

IMG_2750.jpg
crash01.jpg

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
It is worth pointing out with these that there are several different versions and qualities. Not that it matters to you because £7 is an absolute bargain, even for an Apollo Phaze :wink: but if you are buying one off the internet for a proper price look out. They made bottom of the range cheap versions that weighed a ton and looked virtually identical to the 753 tubed racing team super bikes. Just found this on another site:

'the decals on the seat stays are different on the lightweight model
they read reynolds on one and shimano on the other
there are two lightweights a 531 with 6 speed shimano 105
and a 753 team model not sure of groupset on this but if you see one
buy it ! ive had the 531 banana and wrecked it in a crash. and still have the scars to prove it never seen a 753 in the flesh.
ask what transfers are on the down tube if they read 18-23 its not lightweight if they say 531 or 753 or reynolds give me his phone number!
ive seen a couple of lightweight on flea bay recently make decent money'

Should help you find out what you have. If you have the 753 or 531 I would do it up and keep it, pretty bike loads of retro value should be a lovely ride too by all accounts. If not, do it up and sell it on ebay should be looking at close £100 profit on that.

Thats great many thanks. I haven't looked at it in detail yet but I know it is light as I loaded it in the motor to bring it home. I wont sell it yet no matter what as I bought it for its retroness which I get off on a little (not in that way). I am though a little reluctant to jump on it yet as I am of a heavy build and I am looking at cycling being a means to an end of that one. Wife is already concerned as I now have 4 bikes. From a retro nostalgic point of view I may be on the look out for a 5th, I want a old skool Raleigh Burner BMX as it iw what I had as a kid, I wont ride it just look at it. However they fetch a fare whack.

Thanks again for taking the time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thats great many thanks. I haven't looked at it in detail yet but I know it is light as I loaded it in the motor to bring it home. I wont sell it yet no matter what as I bought it for its retroness which I get off on a little (not in that way). I am though a little reluctant to jump on it yet as I am of a heavy build and I am looking at cycling being a means to an end of that one. Wife is already concerned as I now have 4 bikes. From a retro nostalgic point of view I may be on the look out for a 5th, I want a old skool Raleigh Burner BMX as it iw what I had as a kid, I wont ride it just look at it. However they fetch a fare whack.

Thanks again for taking the time.
I take it you know of these chaps:-
Raleigh Action Bikes - The Forum dedicated to classic 70's & 80's Raleigh bikes - Home

One of the head honcho's is from Brighton, it's not you is it?

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
It is worth pointing out with these that there are several different versions and qualities. Not that it matters to you because £7 is an absolute bargain, even for an Apollo Phaze :wink: but if you are buying one off the internet for a proper price look out. They made bottom of the range cheap versions that weighed a ton and looked virtually identical to the 753 tubed racing team super bikes. Just found this on another site:

'the decals on the seat stays are different on the lightweight model
they read reynolds on one and shimano on the other
there are two lightweights a 531 with 6 speed shimano 105
and a 753 team model not sure of groupset on this but if you see one
buy it ! ive had the 531 banana and wrecked it in a crash. and still have the scars to prove it never seen a 753 in the flesh.
ask what transfers are on the down tube if they read 18-23 its not lightweight if they say 531 or 753 or reynolds give me his phone number!
ive seen a couple of lightweight on flea bay recently make decent money'

Should help you find out what you have. If you have the 753 or 531 I would do it up and keep it, pretty bike loads of retro value should be a lovely ride too by all accounts. If not, do it up and sell it on ebay should be looking at close £100 profit on that.

Sorry forgot to also post the fact that I took 2 bikes from the guy as part of the deal but it was the banana that I really wanted. The 2nd bike is of a Similar age and only states Dawes Handbuilt on the frame. It has straight handlebars and is a gents pink and silver 10speed(i think). I only paid a fiver for it and I am thinking of moving it on at small cost or to charity. The only reason I am a little reluctant is that I know the guy I brought these off was a cycling fanatic. He maintained everything to highest standard and would not have bought any rubbish in the 1st place.

Does anyone think it could have any value at all?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Sorry forgot to also post the fact that I took 2 bikes from the guy as part of the deal but it was the banana that I really wanted. The 2nd bike is of a Similar age and only states Dawes Handbuilt on the frame. It has straight handlebars and is a gents pink and silver 10speed(i think). I only paid a fiver for it and I am thinking of moving it on at small cost or to charity. The only reason I am a little reluctant is that I know the guy I brought these off was a cycling fanatic. He maintained everything to highest standard and would not have bought any rubbish in the 1st place.

Does anyone think it could have any value at all?

PM sent. I'm looking to sort myself out a cheap as possible tourer/winter bike, and am prepared to build something up. I guess if it depends if the frame is light weight or not.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bloodyhell, one of the biggest crashes you're likely to see on the run in to the stage in Tour of Turkey. Must have been a pile of 40 bikes or so. My pic of my screen doesn't do it justice, one bike must have gone 6m into the air. Hope they are all okay, a few neck braces coming out etc. they were just winding up with a km to go...

Mar 12, 2008
FP07KJN Road Rage Assault on Cyclist - YouTube

Chris Boardman has just retweeted this. Has anyone on here been twatted by an irate driver?
I've managed to avoid anything serious so far, but then I don't have a helmet camera or a horn on my bike!

The van driver is obviously in the wrong but I can't understand why some cyclists like to antagonise drivers - he shakes his head because a car is reversing into a space, and then lets rip on the horn!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Allegedly that horrendous crash at the Tour of Turkey today was caused by Renshaw flatting whilst leading out Bos. Various reports on Renshaws injuries rnaging from a couple of missing teeth to and including a broken collarbone, but thankfully he's ok. One of Greipel's leadout men also has a broken collarbone too apparently. Amazing really that they're the only two casualties from a crash like that.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Chris Boardman has just retweeted this. Has anyone on here been twatted by an irate driver?
I've managed to avoid anything serious so far, but then I don't have a helmet camera or a horn on my bike!

The van driver is obviously in the wrong but I can't understand why some cyclists like to antagonise drivers - he shakes his head because a car is reversing into a space, and then lets rip on the horn!

Probably a bit pissed off that Wolves are going doooooooown :lolol: Over reaction, but then that's what happens when you watch an animal like Karl Henry week in week out I expect. :shrug:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

Wearing jeans on a bike! :nono:

He shouldn't have ridden down the inside of the van. Then even if he was going to go round the parked car he should have looked round to see what the van was doing. Obviously the assault is unnecessary, disgusting and way over the top but the cyclist was making many of the king of the road type mistakes many of our brethren are guilty of.

For me the biggest thing is he doesn't look around enough, if you look in to most drivers eyes they tend to slow down and let you go first. If you just go ahead like you have the right of way then it gets peoples backs up.

Oh, and never get a horn fitted to your bike, jeans and a horn? Maybe he did deserve the twatting! :glare:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I'm basically going to copy P here.

I get so pissed off with these cyclists, and their holier than thou followers.

The guy shouldn't be on the road, he's an accident waiting to happen.
Assuming 'he's in the right', at some point he'll find himself killed to death under a car/van/lorry.

I'm totally on the side of the driver here, right up until he hit him, and even then it's 50/50!!.

The only time he bothered to acknowledge the other road user was when he started to pooh himself.
Had he caught the van drivers eye at the incident or waved, thumbs up something anything and none of this would have happened.

Not to mention the fact he shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Right I'm copy and pasting this over to Bikeradar, they love my opinions on this. :lolol:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Anyone else gonna be watching the Tour of Turkey today? Should be a humdinger, three Cat 1s and one Cat 2, I know it is a bit second division but this stage last year was excellent.

stage3.png

Then the Tour of Romandie prologue after that.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Bahani from Europcar, the Eritrean wins, superb ride from him. Hit them so hard in the last 200m.

You should see the gear Mustafa from the Turku team was riding in, mentals, just grinding his way up.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I've finally found the relevant thread;-

BikeRadar.com View topic - Road Rage + assault, cops do nothing.

It's nice to see a few more people calling it as it is.
The last time they got their pitchforks out, apparently it was ok for a guy to be riding on the wrong side of the road, but wrong of the motorcyclist to push him back.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Bahani from Europcar, the Eritrean wins, superb ride from him. Hit them so hard in the last 200m.

You should see the gear Mustafa from the Turku team was riding in, mentals, just grinding his way up.

That gear he was pushing made me feel sick.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Okay, a friend of mine's Dad is selling his old Holdsworth Avanti (reynolds 531 frame and forks) circa 1982. Think he wants about £150 for it. Condition is meant to be pretty good, although possibly a bit of rust under one of the brake cables.

I'm quite tempted, I think it has lugs on the back of the frame so I could put rack on the back for a bit of touring - just not sure if there is clearance for mudguards?

What do people think? I'd probably be looking to upgrade parts as I go along so I can also use it as a winter trainer. Certainly a bike with pedigree I think?

Screen Shot 2013-04-25 at 09.55.16.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here