Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I think 1066 has the same as well. It is all on numbers 11-20

I think you'll find that probably at least 1,066 of us have the same in the top ten :lol:

Shame I opted for Gerrans in my e/w rather than Martins but delighted for Martins nonetheless. Perfectly ridden by Garmin there.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Lets not forget NSC's finest in all of this.

You can't help thinking tactics are being over thought, by the likes of Sky.

Perfect ride by Garmin, surprisingly poor ride by Sky & pointless ride by BMC.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Full Top 20:

1. MARTIN Daniel
2. RODRIGUEZ OLIVER Joaquin
3. VALVERDE Alejandro
4. BETANCUR GOMEZ Carlos Alberto
5. SCARPONI Michele
6. GASPAROTTO Enrico
7. GILBERT Philippe
8. HESJEDAL Ryder
9. COSTA Rui Alberto
10. GERRANS Simon
11. VAUGRENARD Benoît
12. ANTON Igor
13. BARDET Romain
14. NOCENTINI Rinaldo
15. NORDHAUG Lars-Peter
16. HENAO MONTOYA Sergio Luis
17. SORENSEN Nicki
18. VANENDERT Jelle
19. GESCHKE Simon
20. ULISSI Diego

12 and 16 for me too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Full Top 20:

1. MARTIN Daniel
3. VALVERDE Alejandro
5. SCARPONI Michele
6. GASPAROTTO Enrico
7. GILBERT Philippe
8. HESJEDAL Ryder
9. COSTA Rui Alberto
10. GERRANS Simon
11. VAUGRENARD Benoît
12. ANTON Igor
13. BARDET Romain
14. NOCENTINI Rinaldo
15. NORDHAUG Lars-Peter
17. SORENSEN Nicki
18. VANENDERT Jelle
19. GESCHKE Simon
20. ULISSI Diego

12 and 16 for me too.
You just copied me, then changed it to make it better, that's not fair :lol:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Lets not forget NSC's finest in all of this.

You can't help thinking tactics are being over thought, by the likes of Sky.

Perfect ride by Garmin, surprisingly poor ride by Sky & pointless ride by BMC.

That'll be NSC's finest who you slipped out "without hesitation" for the Froomdog? :lolol:

Ryder done the same lone attack last year too didin't he? As you say, perfect ride by Garmin doing the old one two. A joy to see.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Dear Geeks,

While we enjoy this great classic this afternoon, I need to garner your opinions.

My Trek Hybrid is slowly dying a death. Pretty much needs a new drive train, and I have a feeling I'm probably going to be chucking good money after bad given it is about 10 years old now.

So I'm thinking I'd like a tourer/winter training type bike that I can ride around town, hitch the kiddy trailer onto, take on holiday with the family with some panniers etc. which would be comfortable on gravel paths etc. Ideally, in the dark depths of winter, I can also use it as a winter road bike (perhaps with some tyre options).

Quite happy to buy second hand, but not sure what I should be looking at at this point - or whether too much to ask from one bike?

I don't want to spend a huge amount (hence happy to buy used) but perhaps this is the sort of thing: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-ribble-winter-trainer-12-45501

Just to bounce my previous query, I'm going to try and see this one in Brighton http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321109040530?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Anything I should be paying attention to when looking at a second hand bike like this? Pretty clear it needs a new chain, new saddle, probably new cables, but after a clean up, could be what I'm looking for at very little outlay...

oh, and I think I can add 16 and 20 to my places today...

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Full Top 20:

1. MARTIN Daniel
3. VALVERDE Alejandro
5. SCARPONI Michele
6. GASPAROTTO Enrico
7. GILBERT Philippe
8. HESJEDAL Ryder
9. COSTA Rui Alberto
10. GERRANS Simon
11. VAUGRENARD Benoît
12. ANTON Igor
13. BARDET Romain
14. NOCENTINI Rinaldo
15. NORDHAUG Lars-Peter
17. SORENSEN Nicki
18. VANENDERT Jelle
19. GESCHKE Simon
20. ULISSI Diego

12 and 16 for me too.

Good shout on Anton. :clap2: I took Vanendert out but no regrets as I had to to work others in. Besides, a top 20 wouldn't be complete without some riders I swappped out :lol: Biggest disappointment today for me was Leukemans, I had high hopes there.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That'll be NSC's finest who you slipped out "without hesitation" for the Froomdog? :lolol:

Ryder done the same lone attack last year too didin't he? As you say, perfect ride by Garmin doing the old one two. A joy to see.
If Sky hadn't inexplicably decided they weren't going to ride for the win :shrug: it would have been inspired.
I had every confidence in Martin winning before the off, and clearly RH set him up beautifully.

Sure Sky sat up when BMC took it on, but to not get back down to work in the last 10 was odd.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Good shout on Anton. :clap2: I took Vanendert out but no regrets as I had to to work others in. Besides, a top 20 wouldn't be complete without some riders I swappped out :lol: Biggest disappointment today for me was Leukemans, I had high hopes there.

My disappointment is Kwiatkowski, he has been riding well all spring but nowhere today. Always knew Fedrigo was a bit of a punt but thought I would go with it, could have picked, and did consider Nordhaug, Geschke and Ulissi in his stead but we will all have the same hard luck stories I suppose.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
If Sky hadn't inexplicably decided they weren't going to ride for the win :shrug: it would have been inspired.
I had every confidence in Martin winning before the off, and clearly RH set him up beautifully.

Sure Sky sat up when BMC took it on, but to not get back down to work in the last 10 was odd.

Nothing odd about it at all. Aside from Henao - Sky + Classics = Crap. By and large anyway.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
My disappointment is Kwiatkowski, he has been riding well all spring but nowhere today. Always knew Fedrigo was a bit of a punt but thought I would go with it, could have picked, and did consider Nordhaug, Geschke and Ulissi in his stead but we will all have the same hard luck stories I suppose.

I forgot about Kwiatkowski. Proper stable door after the horse has bolted for me there having left him out before because everyone else seemed to have him. I'm glad I got to see a fair bit of Trentino or else I would have put Rolland in for today.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Just to bounce my previous query, I'm going to try and see this one in Brighton http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321109040530?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Anything I should be paying attention to when looking at a second hand bike like this? Pretty clear it needs a new chain, new saddle, probably new cables, but after a clean up, could be what I'm looking for at very little outlay...

oh, and I think I can add 16 and 20 to my places today...

£50 for that would be a bargain, as would £75 or even £100. Solid bikes built to last those Dawes tourers. As long as the frame isn't too rusted I would go for it, despite the fix up cost.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nothing odd about it at all. Aside from Henao - Sky + Classics = Crap. By and large anyway.
That is true, I guess I expected too much from the moment BMC decided it was going to shoot itself in the foot, and do all the work, again.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
In the interest of fairness and balance, since every single cycling fan it seems slags him and his brother (rightly so)...

... 41. SCHLECK Andy 71 RADIOSHACK LEOPARD 6h 39' 27" + 01' 20"

Fair play to him.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well my points scorers scored, Martin, Henao, AVV & Anton.

Froome was the disappointment, I thought he was bought in to salvage the campaign.
Amador - such is (cycling) life.
Caruso - well it's not been my season for Caruso's.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
£50 for that would be a bargain, as would £75 or even £100. Solid bikes built to last those Dawes tourers. As long as the frame isn't too rusted I would go for it, despite the fix up cost.

Thanks for the advice, I was thinking the same. I think it would be a solid bike for me for my shorter commutes around town, horrible winter riding, and family holidays.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yeah that'll shine up a treat.

Obviously check the joins, and make such it's true.

Although judging by the photo it looks like it's for sale due to being unloved instead involved in any bust up.

Oh and I'm sure you're all over this already but don't get hung up on the cosmetics rusty chain, manky bar tape etc.
All that's doing is keeping the price down, which is a result.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Well my points scorers scored, Martin, Henao, AVV & Anton.

Froome was the disappointment, I thought he was bought in to salvage the campaign.
Amador - such is (cycling) life.
Caruso - well it's not been my season for Caruso's.

To be honest I have absolutely no idea why Froome was brought in for this race at all :shrug: Never in the running as far as I can tell and no more than some sort of super dom for Henao, even though it doesn't quite work that way. I can only imagine it's just a way of keeping good hard race miles in his legs seeing as he hasn't ridden a huge amount of races so far. Any idea if he's riding Romandie?

Edit: Just noticed you was a mere 2 places off of getting double bubble 10pts for Veuchelen today too. You don't have much luck, what with the Amador crash as well.

Last edited:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
[MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION], £50 has gotta be worth a punt. A right bargain if it comes off.

I've noticed quite a few little 'cuts' on my rear kenda; some self inflicted from small stone removal but to my inexperienced eye, nailed on future puncture sites. Is this okay, or a 'do something now' situation. Worth swapping in the interim? If 'replace' is the advice, what brand do you fellas recommend?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
[MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION], £50 has gotta be worth a punt. A right bargain if it comes off.

I've noticed quite a few little 'cuts' on my rear kenda; some self inflicted from small stone removal but to my inexperienced eye, nailed on future puncture sites. Is this okay, or a 'do something now' situation. Worth swapping in the interim? If 'replace' is the advice, what brand do you fellas recommend?

In terms of brand recommendations, I got some Vredestein Fortezza tri Comps at an excellent sale price and I've no complaints so far. I'll keep them on all year round too as I don't have the patience or money to keep swapping tyres over according to the season. Have a good hunt around for best prices as it can vary massively. Ebay came out best for me at the time, but sometimes the well known cycling sites have deals on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here