Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's a tourist destination SB, they have all sorts of events that the economy down there needs to survive! Trying to injury cyclists hardly seems the right way to go about it - so no, I don't understand their frustrations. We've had holidays down in Lymington for years, and they can be a pompous lot of nimby's down there - flat cap, green wellies, waxer jacket, look at me I'm rural but can't walk 5mins without taking the 4X4 bunch of tw*ts!!!

Now calm down Bold, clearly it's not right, and you make a very good NiMBY argument.
But I do think 2,500 riders in an open (narrow) road event is excessive.
We all know it'll be like the wild west out there and even without cars it would be a bad accident waiting to happen.

We go down there a lot in the summer and enjoy it greatly even though the traffic is dreadful.
Yes your right it was like that before they moved in, but I can see how this ontop of weekly events would be the final straw, for some.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I am scared of the Mrs, but not that scared to go out at 2am! Damn my dry sense of humour. Seriously, out at 6.

What happened in Hampshire is completely unacceptable, but no surprise. In my experience, horse riders are selfish. I used to live on the edge of the forest and pathways were left unusable because of churning up by horses. The riders knew full well what they were doing. Bit like the 4x4 reference I guess.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
It's a tourist destination SB, they have all sorts of events that the economy down there needs to survive! Trying to injury cyclists hardly seems the right way to go about it - so no, I don't understand their frustrations. We've had holidays down in Lymington for years, and they can be a pompous lot of nimby's down there - flat cap, green wellies, waxer jacket, look at me I'm rural but can't walk 5mins without taking the 4X4 bunch of tw*ts!!!

Exactly. I live on the edge of the new forest and it's not that busy but there is the occasional ****, especially at weekends. To be honest, I get more shit from drivers at weekends than I do on my commute through the forest.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wonder what were the amount of entrants for each of the last say 5 years.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Good morning Geeks,

Whilst reading the INRNG blog on Colombian cyclists I came across this climb in the comments section Paramo de las Letras 52 miles of climbing! :ohmy:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
As luck would have it I'm able to watch stage 4 Giro del Trentino today. Not a 52 mile climb, granted :lol:, but should be fun nonetheless as it's 14km at 8% avg for a mtf. I'm hoping Bouet can hold on for the GC win and I think he might just do it, but it could be tight as he has a 3:19 gap to hold on to . Interesting to see how Nibbles & Brad slug it out, but Siutsou now adds another dimension as he's currently 2nd on GC. Looking forward to this one.

This is the situation so far on today's stage:

KM 97

LEADERS: Serpa Perez (Lampre, 46), Gautier (Europcar, 64), Sella (Androni, 72), Zardini (Bardiani, 86), Bongiorno (Bardiani, 87), Pantano (Colombia, 94), Txurruka (Caja Rural, 113), Taciak (CCC, 124), Huzarski (NetApp, 152), Amaro (Ceramica Flaminia, 178)

PELOTON <2.30>

Note our man Txurruka in the break as per usual :)

Edit: The official live ticker for this is really well done. They even have a video of todays mtf. Giro del Trentino

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Ok, last talking to myself post for now.

Santambrogio looks like he's well up for trying to take GC today as Vini Fantini are very active approaching this last climb. I think this could be a mini epic today to wet our appetite for the Giro.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ok, last talking to myself post for now.

Santambrogio looks like he's well up for trying to take GC today as Vini Fantini are very active approaching this last climb. I think this could be a mini epic today to wet our appetite for the Giro.
Santambrogio was one of my go too guys last season, and he did very little.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Real shame for Bouet, but at least he managed to stay on the podium. If only Wiggins didn't have that mechanical - would have seen a much better stage today and perhaps a slower paced more tactically ridden ascent giving Bouet a better chance of retaining GC? Still a cracking days racing though.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Whats happening at the moment 1066.

It's all over.

Bouet lost too much time to Nibali & Santambrogio and so slipped to 3rd on final GC. Those two took 1st & 2nd on the stage & final GC.

Brad had a mechanical half way up the final climb, threw his bike in a temper tantrum which was quite funny (I'll post highlights if they appear) and couldn't get back up to the leaders. When he got close Nibbles attacked again and it was game over. Fairly decent ride from Evans today, some life left in the old dog yet perhaps?

Disappointed in Rolland, expected a bit more. Difficult to know from this whether it means he's not in top form for L-B-L or whether he's keeping something in reserve seeing as it's supposed to be a big target for him.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
:lolol: The Brad strop is up already! Aside from the misfortune and a spoiling what could have been some excellent racing, it is funny to see what happens.

[yt]O1uZ2M9f6Iw[/yt]

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
:lolol: The Brad strop is up already! Aside from the misfortune and a spoiling what could have been some excellent racing, it is funny to see what happens.
I've been trying to find his proper meltdown on his solo break away on stage 7 in 2007.
I don't remember it like this - Unimpressed with a broken spoke with 48km to go, Wiggins calmly stepped off his bike, removed his rear wheel and tossed it to the side of the road

As yet I can't find the footage, but I thought this was 'sweet':-

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
There's a few Wiggins temper tantrums to choose from to be fair. He even had one pre this Giro del Trentino. Today's was just plain funny though.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Glad I always do a check before a ride. Found a flat one tonight. Must have been a pinch as no evidence of a piercing. I hate punctures.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here