Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION], £50 has gotta be worth a punt. A right bargain if it comes off.

I've noticed quite a few little 'cuts' on my rear kenda; some self inflicted from small stone removal but to my inexperienced eye, nailed on future puncture sites. Is this okay, or a 'do something now' situation. Worth swapping in the interim? If 'replace' is the advice, what brand do you fellas recommend?
I'm a Michelin Pro Road kind of guy, Continental Grand Prix's are also popular.

How To Get the Best Out of Your Tyres | Cycling Tips
A lot of writing but fortunately there's graphs too.

I doubt there's much difference in the rolling resistance of similar high end brands, esp to riders like us.
But you'll certainly know and feel the difference between a budget set and a doggy dangles set.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Thanks for all the guys who did the Third great Haywards Heath Bike Ride today over 900 took part as well as a few tight arses who joined in without paying.I will post the total we raised for charity ASAP. The palace fan riding in his shirt got some stick when some guys past him on his bike as some of the pepole watching shouted that twice you been past in the last couple of weeks?:ffsparr: ha ha

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
No chance, you will be lucky to get £50. Any right minded person will see the word Apollo and steer well clear, unfortunately bikes lose 50% of their value the moment they leave the shop floor unless you are talking top end stuff. A £300 Apollo is still an Apollo, the phaze is also available brand new at £180 at the moment.

Sorry.

and again at sanctimonious [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] sold it for £110 today. yay :rave:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Nice one. I think in fairness to the chaps though they know what they are talking about and maybe under appreciated the fact that some might just want a bargain-priced bike that will do the basics.

Thanks for the trye comments. I'll go and chat to my local shop. Wouldn't wanna breach rule 58.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
and again at sanctimonious [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] sold it for £110 today. yay :rave:

On Ebay by any chance? I've said it before and I'll say it again - Ebay is a sellers market with people often paying way over the odds for secondhand stuff that's on auction. This is especially so with anything cycling related at the moment. Right result for you though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yay well done.

Anything that brings self-righteous Stat down a peg or 2 is fine by me.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
Hi Guys, I got myself a 1980's Team Raliegh Banana today for £7. Needs new tyres and one new pedal. I am no cycle expert but love retro stuff so grabbed it, anyone got any comment for me.

I love it and cant wait to get out on an 80's ride.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hi Guys, I got myself a 1980's Team Raliegh Banana today for £7. Needs new tyres and one new pedal. I am no cycle expert but love retro stuff so grabbed it, anyone got any comment for me.

Yeah stick a tyre and pedal on it, give it a sponge down and put it up on ebay.

Double bubble.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]326081695533113344[/tweet]

Ain't that the truth.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks but I want to keep it, when you say double bubble I take it my life is not about to change?. Any idea what it may be worth, I am looking at one on ebay that is but now £125.

Gents Raleigh Team Banana racing bike | eBay
I was being a little silly, making a £14 bike.

No you'll not be on Antiques Roadshow, it's a popular Raleigh, plenty were made and they were always about the last time I was living on ebay. But none were ever £7.

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
On Ebay by any chance? I've said it before and I'll say it again - Ebay is a sellers market with people often paying way over the odds for secondhand stuff that's on auction. This is especially so with anything cycling related at the moment. Right result for you though.

no, gumtree or friday ad, think it was friday ad :)

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
Yay well done.

Anything that brings self-righteous Stat down a peg or 2 is fine by me.

:lolol:

thanks for the info though, made me a bit more realistic about what price inwas probably gonna get for it, and chuffed it went for three figures in the end :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]326090521632198657[/tweet]

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

Haha, brilliant. Well done mate, that is the bicycle equivalent of selling Andy Carroll for £35m.

I suppose this does have a bearing on [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] though, if complete rubbish is selling for £110 how much will the Galaxy go for in the end on ebay?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Haha, brilliant. Well done mate, that is the bicycle equivalent of selling Andy Carroll for £35m.

I suppose this does have a bearing on [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] though, if complete rubbish is selling for £110 how much will the Galaxy go for in the end on ebay?

Well yes, exactly. I bought my son an Islabike Beinn (it is good!) on Friday by someone who had it on ebay. It had 3 days left to run, I made a cash offer, he pulled it from ebay thus saving himself the 10% or so in fees. We were both happy with the deal I think. If I get to see the Galaxy I'll probably do the same if I like it. But well aware of how ebay can over inflate prices.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

It is worth pointing out with these that there are several different versions and qualities. Not that it matters to you because £7 is an absolute bargain, even for an Apollo Phaze :wink: but if you are buying one off the internet for a proper price look out. They made bottom of the range cheap versions that weighed a ton and looked virtually identical to the 753 tubed racing team super bikes. Just found this on another site:

'the decals on the seat stays are different on the lightweight model
they read reynolds on one and shimano on the other
there are two lightweights a 531 with 6 speed shimano 105
and a 753 team model not sure of groupset on this but if you see one
buy it ! ive had the 531 banana and wrecked it in a crash. and still have the scars to prove it never seen a 753 in the flesh.
ask what transfers are on the down tube if they read 18-23 its not lightweight if they say 531 or 753 or reynolds give me his phone number!
ive seen a couple of lightweight on flea bay recently make decent money'

Should help you find out what you have. If you have the 753 or 531 I would do it up and keep it, pretty bike loads of retro value should be a lovely ride too by all accounts. If not, do it up and sell it on ebay should be looking at close £100 profit on that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here