Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Given the discount, I'd guess Bianchi too.
As said all the discount does is bring the bike down to the price it should have been retailed at, in the first place.
The difference in spec between the Allez & Nirone is negligible, the extra £100+ was for the name Bianchi.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
As said all the discount does is bring the bike down to the price it should have been retailed at, in the first place.
The difference in spec between the Allez & Nirone is negligible, the extra £100+ was for the name Bianchi.

Yep, my point entirely. The romance of the Bianchi name, and the famous celeste colour (but please, not the handlebar tape) will win over a Spesh nearly every time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yep, my point entirely. The romance of the Bianchi name, and the famous celeste colour (but please, not the handlebar tape) will win over a Spesh nearly every time.
The romance side of it is odd.

I'm pretty sure I was all about the bike before I was Team Bianchi.
But when on board I have become very fond of the brand.

I'm not convinced Bianchi has and deserves the cache it seems to have in the UK.

Of Italian brands it's no Colnago, and it's certainly 'cheapening' itself in the mass produced market.
Although I assume given the choice of that or no Bianchi's at all, it a no brainer.

I'd be interested to know where Italians rate Bianchi, I have a gut feeling it might be nearer to Boardman than Colnago.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
:)

Unlike lucky Jay, I'm still undecided. Saw a chap on a flat bar this morning and thought how comfortable his back/shoulder/arm alignment looked.

I'm trying to do no more looking now as there is maybe too much choice. I think the majority might be right on the basis of flat bar (roundly poo pooed) v Italian styling or Mondeo. Influencing factors will be cycle to work scheme availability, negotiating skills (which might involve a rolling out of my favourite line "well if you can't do that, I'll say thanks and goodbye now" and feel when I get up close.

I really appreciate every comment. If it wasn't for you chaps I could be put off pushing myself further.

:bowdown:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Unlike lucky Jay, I'm still undecided. Saw a chap on a flat bar this morning and thought how comfortable his back/shoulder/arm alignment looked.

I'm trying to do no more looking now as there is maybe too much choice. I think the majority might be right on the basis of flat bar (roundly poo pooed) v Italian styling or Mondeo. Influencing factors will be cycle to work scheme availability, negotiating skills (which might involve a rolling out of my favourite line "well if you can't do that, I'll say thanks and goodbye now" and feel when I get up close.

I really appreciate every comment. If it wasn't for you chaps I could be put off pushing myself further.

I have a flat bar hack/training bike and drops on the road bike. On a decent 40+ mile run on the drops I'm probably using 3 if not 4 riding positions on the bars as well as adjusting my seating position on the saddle. This all has the effect of using different muscles in the legs, and constantly keeps your riding position changing. I can't do this on the flat bars so only use it for level shorter runs.

Personally, while the flat bar can give you a perfectly comfortably riding position generally, I do like the flexibility of being able to drop down for a while, or get hold of the brakes levers, or sit right up. I think I'd find my back f*cked over 40+ miles if I was stuck in a similar position the whole time.

Just my thoughts...

p.s. even with the drops the back can still be aching though, just not as bad I think.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just back from walking the dogs, out and about were:-

4 Spesh
1 Giant
1 Bianchi.

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011

Hi Motogull, I have a mountain bike, hybrid bike (flat bar, skinny tyres) and a couple of road bikes. It might be just my hybrid bike (Scott Sportster) but I hate it, especially after riding a road bike. I find I am using so much more effort to achieve similar speeds to be road bike and find the whole geometry of the bike awful and clunky. My road bikes just feel they were built for a specific purpose and is much easier to achieve and maintain speed and power and I feel no more discomfort on the body than on the hybrid. If I am going off road I much prefer to be on a proper mountain bike.

I think as you are finding there is so much choose and it really does come down to what you feel most comfortable with and what type of riding you are looking to do. For me a decent frame and forks is the important starting point as other parts can be slowly upgraded relatively cheaply if you shop around. Good luck and take your time

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Would be funny. SB, did you notice what saddle and bar tape they chose?!
They do that on purpose so the buyer has some room to personalise the bike.

There was locally (I haven't seen him for a while), a big fella who rides a totally celeste Bianchi.

While doing so he wears:-

c9301100.jpg
C9350161_Falco_celeste.jpg
nalini-bianchi-celeste-zoom.jpg
bianchi-celeste-bib-short.jpg
J3430.jpg

If I could post a picture of his Bianchi gloves, I would.

Sadly we were very undignified when we first saw him.
But I'm sorry he was just asking for the pointing and laughter.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

There was locally (I haven't seen him for a while), a big fella who rides a totally celeste Bianchi.

View attachment 39646
View attachment 39647
View attachment 39648
View attachment 39650
View attachment 39649

Excellent stuff. Reminded me of my post a while back about the enormous unit on a bianchi/super record dream of a bike fully kitted out in sky world champions kit.

Breaking so many of the rules!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Glanders

Mar 12, 2012
Probably runs a bit contrary to the spirit of the ticket exchange section of NSC, but I thought I'd offer my non season ticket holding geek buddies the option on a friend's tickets for Burnley before I stick them in the correct forum. He sits next to me on the front row of the Upper East, a gnat's whisker off the halfway line - for my money, pretty much the best view in the ground - and has two season tickets, one adult and one child. He is after £40 for the pair. Unfortunately I won't be at the game because it's my co-ticket-holder's turn, but he can hang around outside the club shop and pass the tickets on to to you if anyone's interested?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Probably runs a bit contrary to the spirit of the ticket exchange section of NSC, but I thought I'd offer my non season ticket holding geek buddies the option on a friend's tickets for Burnley before I stick them in the correct forum. He sits next to me on the front row of the Upper East, a gnat's whisker off the halfway line - for my money, pretty much the best view in the ground - and has two season tickets, one adult and one child. He is after £40 for the pair. Unfortunately I won't be at the game because it's my co-ticket-holder's turn, but he can hang around outside the club shop and pass the tickets on to to you if anyone's interested?
I guess we'll soon find out if we are being moderated. :lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
1) Cav, surely nobody is going kick up a fuss about that.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
1) Cav, surely nobody is going kick up a fuss about that.

I'm saying no, I don't feel all conquering riders like Cav should be in Team Geek. Worthy underdogs, riders who attack constantly with no hope of success, that sort of thing. I think maybe only one British rider too, Millar for me would be my preference.

For me Ryder has to be there, as his 2nd in the Amstel Gold was what started to bring us all together.
Hoogerland, of course, for the crazy attacking and his constant bad luck.
I'd like Pozzovivo in there, I love a climber who is completely useless on the flat/TTs.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

View attachment 39646
View attachment 39647
View attachment 39648
View attachment 39650
View attachment 39649

Funny you should post that on this very day. We had to go to Canvey Island today and whilst there we saw a bloke, probably in his 50's, soft pedaling the flat roads they have over there in all but one of the above + this:

h9011---small-bag_1.jpg

The one missing item? A helmet. Didn't even have a cap or wooly hat on.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Just back from walking the dogs, out and about were:-

4 Spesh
1 Giant
1 Bianchi.

Wot, no Battaglins?

I think Treks probably won on my list, although I wasn't counting. One thing I did notice was quite a few flat bars and, with Motogull in mind and which direction he chooses, I couldn't help thinking how awkward they all looked. I think he'll really regret it if he goes flat bar and wants to chalk up the miles.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here