Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thinking about it as we have some down time before Nice, is it possible for all the geeks to agree on a 9 man, Grand Tour Team Geek.

I can only think of 2 criteria:-

- Current riders.
- Clean riders.

Cav
T.Martin
J.Rod
Froome
Wiggins
Sagan
Renshaw (lead out)
Ryder H
Boasson Hagen

I'm saying no, I don't feel all conquering riders like Cav should be in Team Geek. Worthy underdogs, riders who attack constantly with no hope of success, that sort of thing. I think maybe only one British rider too, Millar for me would be my preference.

For me Ryder has to be there, as his 2nd in the Amstel Gold was what started to bring us all together.
Hoogerland, of course, for the crazy attacking and his constant bad luck.
I'd like Pozzovivo in there, I love a climber who is completely useless on the flat/TTs.
Oh Jesus Christ, why have I got a massive sense of regret!

I can only think of 3 criteria:-

- Current riders.
- Clean riders.
- 1 Brit.

Were going to need a maximum veto count.

As much as I like Millar, no drugs.

1) Ryder H.
2) G
3) Hoog
4)

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Oh Jesus Christ, why have I got a massive sense of regret!

I can only think of 3 criteria:-

- Current riders.
- Clean riders.
- 1 Brit.

Were going to need a maximum veto count.

As much as I like Millar, no drugs.

1) Ryder H.
2) G
3) Hoog
4)

Mmm. I think I misinterpreted the brief. You meant a team representative of our thread -

Ryder H
G
Hoogerland
Tommy V
Soupe
J Rod
?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wot, no Battaglins?

I think Treks probably won on my list, although I wasn't counting. One thing I did notice was quite a few flat bars and, with Motogull in mind and which direction he chooses, I couldn't help thinking how awkward they all looked. I think he'll really regret it if he goes flat bar and wants to chalk up the miles.
If it makes you feel any better I'm about 95% sure one whizzed past us on our afternoon promenade.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Mmm. I think I misinterpreted the brief. You meant a team representative of our thread -

Ryder H
G
Hoogerland
Tommy V
Soupe
J Rod
?
No I think you where probably right first time.
I was just wondering if we could reach a consensus about 9 riders for a Grand Tour.

(someone's going to have to veto Jeff, being in the team on name only is stretching it a bit :lol:)

- - - Updated - - -

That's excellent news!

“Physically I should have a full recovery,” he said in the days after his accident. “Mentally it’s a different story, I’m certainly aware of that. Without help, I really can’t deal with this new blow.”
The quote Boulting picked up on, leading me to the story.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
One thing I did notice was quite a few flat bars and, with Motogull in mind and which direction he chooses, I couldn't help thinking how awkward they all looked. I think he'll really regret it if he goes flat bar and wants to chalk up the miles.

The flat bar idea has been put down. Its now a straight shoot out.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
With regards to your flat bar dilemma, I do think what you have basically done is sign up to The Vegetarian Society and asked the question:-

Which is better for tea rump steak or sprouts?

For them there's only one answer, irrespective how wrong it is :lol:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Good for you. Wise choice :thumbsup:

Best advice from me is just to listen to the other geeks on here as they know their onions and have helped me no end having come back to a road bike years after having one as a youth. As they say, it has to be YOUR choice, and the one that you like and feels best for you is the best buy. Simple as that really.

One thing I will say though is about gears and getting up hills, since you asked. I've been there with my recently purchased secondhand road bike. The geeks talked me through it and I decided to stay with the standard 53/39 on the front and change the 12/25 rear cassette it came with to a climbing friendly 13/29. This is working fine for me now and I'm no spring chicken! I can't find the info you put up on the 2 bikes you're looking at now, but didn't both have a compact 50/34 chainset? If they have a triple instead then even easier! As SB said, being a road bike and therefore much lighter, you'll be fine.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Ryder H
G
Hoogerland
Tommy V
Soupe
J Rod
?

I'm not sure I ever understood the brief in the first place. If it's a favourite riders type of thing then so far, for me, Thomas De Gendt is a glaring omission from the list that seems to have formed there. Also, SB will love the fact that you can drop the d before the t in or out at will and still technically be correct :)

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I'm not sure I ever understood the brief in the first place. If it's a favourite riders type of thing then so far, for me, Thomas De Gendt is a glaring omission from the list that seems to have formed there. Also, SB will love the fact that you can drop the d before the t in or out at will and still technically be correct :)

We should also have that fella from the giro that scored you about 80 points in a day along with KoM.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
We should also have that fella from the giro that scored you about 80 points in a day along with KoM.

Oooh, good point!

I hereby present - Miguel Ángel Rubiano Chávez :)

th.jpg

May I add a prediction for a young Frenchie to do the same thing this year too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In the same sentence!

So you don't understand, offer up a new name with a valid reason, then find another name :shrug:

Ryder H
G
Hoogerland
Tommy V
J Rod
De Ghendt
Chavez

Fairly climber heavy, and we ain't winning no ITT, a TTT would be carnage.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
In the same sentence!

So you don't understand, offer up a new name with a valid reason, then find another name :shrug:

Ryder H
G
Hoogerland
Tommy V
J Rod
De Ghendt
Chavez

Hang on a bloody minute here!, you've gone and put an 'h' where there ain't meant to be one! I gave you free range with the 'd'. Don't start taking liberties and dropping in random letters wherever and whenever you feel like it! punish:

A young TT'er is an easy enough choice for me, if he can stay upright!, but I don't want to go hogging it, so I'll leave that suggestion to others.

Oh, and it's Rubiano please, not Chávez :wink:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Night.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
19yr old sprinter anyone? Famous father and better than his older brother.

Opps, sorry, promised not to go hogging it.

- - - Updated - - -

:lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ryder H
G
Hoogerland
Tommy V

J Rod
De Ghendt
Chavez

So do we definitely have a top 4 with 3 pending.

I don't imagine any complaints coming from down under about Tommy V inclusion.

If you believe the rumours Cancellara falls foul of clause 2.
Tony Martin doesn't really float my boat, but he's not worth a veto.

Still no sprinter.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
So do we definitely have a top 4 with 3 pending.

I don't imagine any complaints coming from down under about Tommy V inclusion.

If you believe the rumours Cancellara falls foul of clause 2.
Tony Martin doesn't really float my boat, but he's not worth a veto.

Still no sprinter.

No complaints about the inclusion of Tommy V here.

ITT you'd have to think about Wiggo surely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here