Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yeah, fair enough, TJVG to place higher perhaps, but I wouldn't be too hasty to write old frog face out of one final throw of the dice.
TBH I had him in my team for Friday's 'Classic' stage.
Thinking he was close enough to the lead to really properly go for it, and the one least likely to win anything else, this year.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well I for one am glad they gave Robert Millar the top spot.
Who the frack are Alan Ramsbottom and Michael Wright?

At some point I have some google searching to do, but not now as the sofa is calling.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Who the frack are Alan Ramsbottom and Michael Wright?

At some point I have some google searching to do, but not now as the sofa is calling.

:lol: I was thinking the same thing. Also haven't heard of Vin Denson either tbh.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
:lol: I was thinking the same thing. Also haven't heard of Vin Denson either tbh.

1066! I'd expect more from you, you sound like those people who think cycling was invented at the same time as team Sky!

Only kidding, I did know of him as a grand tour stage winner but didn't realise that he's one of only 3 brits to win a giro stage.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Well I for one am glad they gave Robert Millar the top spot.

Robert Millar was brilliant, loved him. Where is he now? has anyone found him yet?

But, and I know it's all very 'nouveau cyclisme', it's hard to look beyond Bradley if we're talking about Britain's greatest achieving cyclist. I'd have him top by some distance.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
1066! I'd expect more from you, you sound like those people who think cycling was invented at the same time as team Sky!

Only kidding, I did know of him as a grand tour stage winner but didn't realise that he's one of only 3 brits to win a giro stage.

I just done a wiki on him and this gem came out about fans at the Giro:

Denson said Italian fans often made a pretence of helping push foreign riders up hills while pulling at their brakes to slow them down.

"We'd hack at these characters with our pumps to try and get them off and at the finish we'd get fined for being pushed."

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Robert Millar was brilliant, loved him. Where is he now? has anyone found him yet?

But, and I know it's all very 'nouveau cyclisme', it's hard to look beyond Bradley if we're talking about Britain's greatest achieving cyclist. I'd have him top by some distance.

Miller writes occasionally for cyclingnews.com but I don't think people see much of him.

I think brad's tour achievement is probably the biggest by a brit put people get swayed by the enigmatic nature of millar.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Miller writes occasionally for cyclingnews.com but I don't think people see much of him.

I think brad's tour achievement is probably the biggest by a brit put people get swayed by the enigmatic nature of millar.

That is an excellent point I think.

Lots of us around today probably grew up watching Millar as kids or teenagers and fell in the love with the sport largely thanks to him. Climbers are almost ethereal characters it seems and easy to fall in love with anyway. Add to that, probably many British fans, despite I suspect like me, in love with the very 'foreigness' of the sport, must have also loved seeing 'one of our own' out there seemingly all on his own mixing it with the continentals and beating them at their own game. I always liked his interviews too as you could see he was a very shy man and really just wanted to be left alone to ride his bike it seemed. For me, definitely one of my earliest sporting heroes.

The whole Sky philosphy can come across as very mechanical. Wiggins, despite being a character himself, has all the backing of that machine. The richest team on the circuit and the most successful. I suspect long time British cycling fans, whilst marveling at just how far we've come in the sport as a nation, deep down much prefer the good old days and the odd gem now and again, like Millar, shining in the gloom. It's all part of the suffering that's intrinsic to the sport itself, isn't it?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

That is an excellent point I think.

Lots of us around today probably grew up watching Millar as kids or teenagers and fell in the love with the sport largely thanks to him. Climbers are almost ethereal characters it seems and easy to fall in love with anyway. Add to that, probably many British fans, despite I suspect like me, in love with the very 'foreigness' of the sport, must have also loved seeing 'one of our own' out there seemingly all on his own mixing it with the continentals and beating them at their own game. I always liked his interviews too as you could see he was a very shy man and really just wanted to be left alone to ride his bike it seemed. For me, definitely one of my earliest sporting heroes.

The whole Sky philosphy can come across as very mechanical. Wiggins, despite being a character himself, has all the backing of that machine. The richest team on the circuit and the most successful. I suspect long time British cycling fans, whilst marveling at just how far we've come in the sport as a nation, deep down much prefer the good old days and the odd gem now and again, like Millar, shining in the gloom. It's all part of the suffering that's intrinsic to the sport itself, isn't it?

I believe Millar is down your Dorset way IL, are you double bluffing us?

It's hard to take the win away when only stacking a 4th and KoM jersey against it.

But as 1066 says that doesn't take into account the manner of both achievements.
On that front I do still think Millar is a worthy leader, half of his palmares were won fighting the opposition, team mates, and entire countries!!.

Wiggins would not be a Grand Tour winner had it not been for the best team on a favourable course.

With that being said I'd love for BW to win another, as the whole dynamic changes again, which is great for UK cycling.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I believe Millar is down your Dorset way IL, are you double bluffing us?

It's hard to take the win away when only stacking a 4th and KoM jersey against it.

But as 1066 says that doesn't take into account the manner of both achievements.
On that front I do still think Millar is a worthy leader, half of his palmares were won fighting the opposition, team mates, and entire countries!!.

Wiggins would not be a Grand Tour winner had it not been for the best team on a favourable course.

With that being said I'd love for BW to win another, as the whole dynamic changes again, which is great for UK cycling.

Yes, it's all been a rouse - I am Robert Millar!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
One last question before I 'go shopping' seeing as how my current bike is on its last legs before major refurbs and updates are required, will the 2 bikes on my radar as discussed get me up the steep hills? The lowest gear looks smaller than my current.

Combing my love of motorised and non motorised 2 wheel activity, I give you this beauty:

course-factory-team.jpg

If I was flush, I would. More here: Ducati Bicycles - Ducati Bicycles

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
One last question before I 'go shopping' seeing as how my current bike is on its last legs before major refurbs and updates are required, will the 2 bikes on my radar as discussed get me up the steep hills? The lowest gear looks smaller than my current.
Yes.

I don't know what beast you are currently riding, but assuming it's not a specific road bike it will easily cope with the hills.

As said before, the gears, wheels, weight and tyres will all be a marked improvement but the engine will be identical.

You're more likely to conk out long before the bike!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Cycling geeks mini poll

Q, Assuming Moto is currently skipping down the road towards new bike nirvana, which one is he coming back with:-

Spesh Allez

Bianchi Nirone.

My vote - Bianchi

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Cycling geeks mini poll

Q, Assuming Moto is currently skipping down the road towards new bike nirvana, which one is he coming back with:-

Spesh Allez

Bianchi Nirone.

My vote - Bianchi

Given the discount, I'd guess Bianchi too.

I know the history, and I know they're beautiful, but I've always been more of a Specialized man myself. A friend ( [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] ) recently got an Allez, and he loves it. I ride a Roubaix, and for the first time in my cycling life I'm not lusting over other bikes, thinking I need an upgrade.

But Motogull will get a Bianchi.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
To put Moto's mind at rest:-

It's nice to have a poll where there is absolutely no wrong answer, it's just down to the fit.

Although it would be funny (for us) if he walked back in with this:-

728b6f0529.jpg

10k lighter, and saying to Mrs Moto 'what you gonna do 'bout it'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here