NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wish you lot would stop spelling his name right, it's:-

Jeff Soup.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Thanks SB and 1066 for your input. Much appreciated. Looks like my bike is a bit worn out with no idea where to start. I'll run it tomorow but expect to go shopping next week. The Allez may now get the nod, but the Bianchi Via Nirone for same price looks tidy too. Is one more of a no-brainer than the other?

Mildly better in fantasy, but miles adrift.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Thanks SB and 1066 for your input. Much appreciated. Looks like my bike is a bit worn out with no idea where to start. I'll run it tomorow but expect to go shopping next week. The Allez may now get the nod, but the Bianchi Via Nirone for same price looks tidy too. Is one more of a no-brainer than the other?

Never ask SB to compare bikes if any in the list happen to be a Bianchi. There's only ever going to be one winner :lol:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I wish you lot would stop spelling his name right, it's:-

Jeff Soup.

And I'll tell you what an' all. I've learned a lot about him in this race that I hadn't really realised before. It's all been noted in my head for future reference :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Never ask SB to compare bikes if any in the list happen to be a Bianchi. There's only ever going to be one winner :lol:
That's almost true.

But I'd hazard a guess the Nirone is Italian in name only, making it a fairly moot point.

As much as we have been saying they are all much of a muchness, it's important anyone shops around and test rides as many bikes as possible.
There will be minor geometry tweaks which could make all the difference to comfort levels, esp if you're mindful of your back.

- - - Updated - - -

And I'll tell you what an' all. I've learned a lot about him in this race that I hadn't really realised before. It's all been noted in my head for future reference :)
That's a poor show from you.

Jeff Soup should have been on your radar from day one, the guys name is...Jeff Soup.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

Even I can admit that the Bianchi is certainly the more stylish option, though celeste bar tape and saddle is still a big no in my view. I've not actually seen this bike so would be interested in the spec and price, if it is an entry level does it come with shimano or campag drive train? Italian bikes without campagnolo are just wrong in my opinion.

The Specialized appears to be a very nice frame having looked at it now, and would seem to be the same one they use up to the £1000ish price point, so that is a positive. The red colourway is quite nice too, although I cannot help but think it is the bike equivalent of the Mondeo.

As advised for Jay, pick the one that gets your pulse racing, and try as many as you can before making a decision.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
That's almost true.

That's a poor show from you.

Jeff Soup should have been on your radar from day one, the guys name is...Jeff Soup.

I clocked him, like everyone else, as a lead out man and back up option to Demare at last seasons TdF. But this race has shown a quality in him I never realised he had.

Unfortunately the fantasy game is one step ahead of us and last seasons cheap picks are no more. Just look at Impey as a prime example! Will have to dig a bit deeper I suppose to see what cheap gems are in hiding this season.

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
just watched stage 4 highlights on eurosport (via youtube). What a really great summit finish that was.

Makes me yearn for a bit of summer riding though, instead of wearing every single layer of cycling kit i own just to stay alive as has been the case recently.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
just watched stage 4 highlights on eurosport (via youtube). What a really great summit finish that was.

Makes me yearn for a bit of summer riding though, instead of wearing every single layer of cycling kit i own just to stay alive as has been the case recently.

I've just watched in on Eurosport 2, absolutely fantastic end to the race, lots of attacks, Froome was excellent and gives him great confidence having nailed Contador yesterday and today.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I've got a Bianchi Infinito which also comes under their 'C2C' badge which is short for coast to coast - basically it's not as an aggressive riding position as some other bikes, and is a bit more for comfort than for outright racing. I really love mine to be honest, great riding position for me and I'd have to say they are a lovely looking bike.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Even I can admit that the Bianchi is certainly the more stylish option, though celeste bar tape and saddle is still a big no in my view. I've not actually seen this bike so would be interested in the spec and price, if it is an entry level does it come with shimano or campag drive train? Italian bikes without campagnolo are just wrong in my opinion.

The Specialized appears to be a very nice frame having looked at it now, and would seem to be the same one they use up to the £1000ish price point, so that is a positive. The red colourway is quite nice too, although I cannot help but think it is the bike equivalent of the Mondeo.

As advised for Jay, pick the one that gets your pulse racing, and try as many as you can before making a decision.

Its here: ROAD - Bikes | Wildside Cycles

I can't rule out a flat bar though. I may bottle it.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

Definitely agree on the celeste and the campag.

I always feel that you pay for a brand with someone like bianchi, especially when the value end of their range has never been anywhere near Italy (as SB says). I reckon planet x or boardman are the highest spec for your money but I accept that you need to be fairly sure of your geometry, as there's no test riding.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Have you upped your budget then? And are you buying new or is this the bike your after secondhand?

Ebay, Gumtree & Bikeradar forums are places I'd be looking at for secondhand close to home so you can try before you buy and get best value spec for your money. That's what I did and it worked for me, but you may have to be patient for your right bike to come up.

I'm absolutely certain you won't regret going road over flat bar in terms of comfort and sheer thrill of the ride experience.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I can up my budget with some interest free credit over a year. Not sure that I could have a bike that's been with someone else.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I can up my budget with some interest free credit over a year. Not sure that I could have a bike that's been with someone else.

You get so much more for your money secondhand though, but it's all down to personal choice. Pristine paintwork and nice and shiny is way down on my list compared to spec. I also like the process of over hauling where needed and making it personal too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Try before you buy.

The Bianchi and Spesh seem pretty similar, but they might 'feel' different even to a novice (I don't wish to sound patronising but it's early so deal with it :lol:).
You also do need to allow for your heart too, if there is no difference other than say £50 but the expensive one is the only you luuurve v the cheaper one you really like, spend the money.
You'll ride it more and look after it better, I promise the smile on your face is worth the extra cash.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I always feel that you pay for a brand with someone like bianchi, especially when the value end of their range has never been anywhere near Italy (as SB says).
As proven by the Bianchi here.

RRP £655, way to expensive.
Sale price £499, it's actual value.

On the face of it, it's identical to the Allez, but £100 more expensive.
Now it's £51 cheaper it's back in play.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Snob! :) another thought - can you access the cycle2work scheme to get more for your money?

I was thinking that myself this morning. I dunno if they do it or whether they'd sign up just for me.

Right then. Made it out this morning. 30.4 mile ride in 2h 46m. On first climb (the 4) I realised I could not get lowest set, so had to labour up in Desmond. Worked out I need to be near free wheeling to get into bottom set and need to stop peddling mid way through changing into top set to complete the change. Not ideal, but I can manage with that for the time being. Despite that 15 mins better than last time out, although of course it is a different profile the other way around.

160213.jpg

28 miles in I got caught and passed by an older rider. Swings and roundabouts eh. Legs were tired, but I did the last climb in 1,3. An old boxing term, but my durability is improving. Only stopped for a foot down to cross a road. Bike is mucky underneath but I can alter the route to cover that. Checked it out for thinner tyre possibilities and reckon its doable. Mrs seems to be cooling about me getting a new bike as I did the full route today. Need to stress that its only a matter of time before more use (but now less abuse) will make it tough to manage.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here