Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
And now, the 5,000th post from the geeks!

I feel it needs something epic, and fitting...

View attachment 39586View attachment 39587View attachment 39588

Pou Pou, what a legend, I understand this term is used in France and the meaning would Translate as 'Always the bridesmaid, never the bride'

Poulidor was known as - eternel second? -- but more often, and more fondly, as Poupou.

Commentators in the 60?s often referred to a phenomenon known as poupoularite? Poulidor's ability to be the most popular French bike racer of his time in spite of never managing to win the Tour.

I am sure he had an impressive record of never finishing out side the TDF top 10 and the record of finishing second the most.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
1,2,5 & 8 from the top 10.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Rewarded with 9th overall on the stage and a charge up the table to 4th for NSC!

An impressive 2nd overall for 1066 though, too big a gap to 1st but certainly looking good for the best non-premium.
Damn if I'd padded out with a token Sky bloke I'd have crept into 5th overall.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But how will you team do tomorrow? Have you got enough sprinters in, or just hoping for jersey points?
I've got 2 form sprinters, and Froome's jersey.
I doubt I'll slip too far down, without troubling the chaps ahead.

Anyhoo tomorrow's another day, today, top 10 overall:-

punk: :rave: :vuvu:

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Good to hear! I'm wondering if I can catch pantani as I think our team's are pretty similar by now.

I fear that's the trouble with all these transfers - eventually everyone has the jersey and the form sprinters, even if they hadn't heard of them before the race starts. The longer the race, the more similar the teams become.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I fear that's the trouble with all these transfers - eventually everyone has the jersey and the form sprinters, even if they hadn't heard of them before the race starts. The longer the race, the more similar the teams become.

Its certainly the case with these shorter stage races. The 3 weekers still throw up some surprises later on with the random breaks succeeding.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
But how will you team do tomorrow? Have you got enough sprinters in, or just hoping for jersey points?

Going to be interesting tomorrow, remember Bertie attacking on that flat stage of last years Vuelta to everyone's complete surprise and turning the whole race on it's head. Might not end with the sprinters this one....

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Going to be interesting tomorrow, remember Bertie attacking on that flat stage of last years Vuelta to everyone's complete surprise and turning the whole race on it's head. Might not end with the sprinters this one....

That stage was only 'flat' in comparison with what had gone before it. It certainly wasn't a circuit race on pan flat roads like tomorrow in Oman. This is the profile from that stage:

vae2012st6profile.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm pretty pleased Stybar had a good ride today...for no apparent reason (tapssideofnoseknowingly)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
That stage was only 'flat' in comparison with what had gone before it. It certainly wasn't a circuit race on pan flat roads like tomorrow in Oman. This is the profile from that stage:

View attachment 39595

Shows how much research I've done, I didn't realise it was a straight out circuit, I was thinking more stage 3 which probably wasn't too dissimilar to that profile.

Anyhow, why has Sagan dropped off my rider transfer list? Has he dropped out injured or have I missed some obvious bit of news?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Rewarded with 9th overall on the stage and a charge up the table to 4th for NSC!

An impressive 2nd overall for 1066 though, too big a gap to 1st but certainly looking good for the best non-premium.

Nice work SB! :clap2:

My bid to place most of my team in the Top 20 today for the stage to make up for the absence of Froome didn't come off, and Nibali let me down badly too. I was pleasantly surprised yesterday to go up on National GC yesterday but totally amazed to move up yet further today! - I can only assume everyone around me, except the one at the top, must have had Sagan in.

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Shows how much research I've done, I didn't realise it was a straight out circuit, I was thinking more stage 3 which probably wasn't too dissimilar to that profile.

Anyhow, why has Sagan dropped off my rider transfer list? Has he dropped out injured or have I missed some obvious bit of news?

Sagan withdrew from the race this morning due to sore throat. Hence why he lost 8 mins on yesterdays stage rather than just the 6 mins he lost last year. I'd heard rumours of the sore throat last night but thought he might just be trying to do a Simon sneaky Gerrans on Old Willunga Hill job.

As for tomorrows stage. As Pantani says - nothing like that Vuelta stage. It'll be a carbon copy of stage one, with the sprinters who can't even get over a speed bump all at the front seeking a stage win. Bert will be riding next to Froome dog exchanging pleasantries all stage I expect and enjoying the early season sunshine.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I just looked at the stage placings for today.

11th to 33rd, or if you prefer, Geoff Soupe to GVA all rolled in together 34" down.

Velits sneaked me 1pt in 20th, but 3 of my other riders were in that group and so scored me bugger all stage points. Do they not release how important this fantasy game is and that people have crucial points riding on these placings! Bloody inconsiderate bunch! :censored: :jester:

Btw, what a bloody cracking days racing that was again today by the sounds of it. Attacks going off left right and centre! and although I'm not a Contador fan for certain reasons you can;t help but love his attack attack mentality. And massive respect for Froome for never ever knowing when he's beat and always coming back. Yes, I know this is only Oman, but this is going to be a truly magnificent season of racing by the looks of it! :clap:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
As for tomorrows stage. As Pantani says - nothing like that Vuelta stage. It'll be a carbon copy of stage one, with the sprinters who can't even get over a speed bump all at the front seeking a stage win. Bert will be riding next to Froome dog exchanging pleasantries all stage I expect and enjoying the early season sunshine.

Apologies. On closer inspection it seems it's not pan flat after all. There's a nasty little bump that has to be gone over at least twice (maybe 3 times?) 3.5km from the finish. Perhaps not Kittel friendly after all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here